SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 09, 2012, 07:13 AM
Fly til dark
jfuller1250's Avatar
United States, IN, Bourbon
Joined Nov 2011
147 Posts
Help!
New to pattern flying

I am new and just getting started in pattern flying. I just got a 62 Osiris which is set up to Aj's suggested. Being that I know nothing on pattern where is a good start or the best way to learn? Looking for any help or suggestions. Thanks.
jfuller1250 is offline Find More Posts by jfuller1250
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2012, 12:09 AM
AMA 13456 NSRCA 4513
Jeff Worsham's Avatar
Rio Rancho, NM
Joined Nov 2007
216 Posts
Much like you, 3 months ago I put together an Osiris according to AJ's video and went out to learn pattern starting with AMA Sportsman. That was 245 flights ago and it's been great! What has helped me so much (and highly recommend) is joining a club that has established pattern fliers who are great guys and always willing to help and answer questions. This is invaluable! All the pattern guys I've met are friendly and extremely helpful. They know what to look for and can make you aware of things you don't realize about your flying and offer suggestions for improvement.

Joining the NSRCA is another way to find pattern fliers in your area. Download and print the Sportsman sequence and manuver descriptions: http://nsrca.us/index.php/sequences

The KFactor is the NSRCA monthly publication and I've learned something about trimming and setup from each one I've read. Back issues available online for member download.

Most importantly - have fun with that Osiris and practice, preferably with a coach. I wish you the best,
jeff
Jeff Worsham is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Worsham
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:47 AM
Registered User
perttime's Avatar
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,218 Posts
^^^^
what he said.
I believe everyone will agree on a couple of flying related points:
- get the plane trimmed. There's some sequences for that, that should help
- learn to fly a straight line. I mean straight
- have someone else watch you fly and give feedback.
perttime is offline Find More Posts by perttime
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 08:38 PM
Fly til dark
jfuller1250's Avatar
United States, IN, Bourbon
Joined Nov 2011
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Worsham View Post
Much like you, 3 months ago I put together an Osiris according to AJ's video and went out to learn pattern starting with AMA Sportsman. That was 245 flights ago and it's been great! What has helped me so much (and highly recommend) is joining a club that has established pattern fliers who are great guys and always willing to help and answer questions. This is invaluable! All the pattern guys I've met are friendly and extremely helpful. They know what to look for and can make you aware of things you don't realize about your flying and offer suggestions for improvement.

Joining the NSRCA is another way to find pattern fliers in your area. Download and print the Sportsman sequence and manuver descriptions: http://nsrca.us/index.php/sequences

The KFactor is the NSRCA monthly publication and I've learned something about trimming and setup from each one I've read. Back issues available online for member download.

Most importantly - have fun with that Osiris and practice, preferably with a coach. I wish you the best,
jeff
Thanks Jeff for the info. I will check that website out. I take it then you like the osiris? I cannot wait to get mine in the air but weather here as not been on my side.
jfuller1250 is offline Find More Posts by jfuller1250
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:54 PM
Registered User
Marietta GA.
Joined Jan 2011
332 Posts
JF, I`m kinda in the same boat as you...I was lucky enough today to have a guy at our field that competes in pattern..He said the same thing as above...Join the NSRCA and come out and try a event in sportsman class..I have the "47 Osiris....He flew mine and said that was fine for that kinda of stuff and flew great...I`m sure your "62 is the same..
mazjag is offline Find More Posts by mazjag
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:27 PM
Registered User
kingconsulting's Avatar
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
826 Posts
I'll jump on the same boat also. I got the 47" Osiris to see if I actually would like it. Have about 8 flights so far and I'm hoping to use it for the sportsman class. I already joined the NSRCA also.

I wasn't sure I would enjoy it that much so that is why I got the smaller one. Found the opposite actually and I am considering scratch building a 2m plane for the following year.

Trying to memorize the sequence and work on one thing at a time with each flight.

Robert
kingconsulting is offline Find More Posts by kingconsulting
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:57 AM
AMA 13456 NSRCA 4513
Jeff Worsham's Avatar
Rio Rancho, NM
Joined Nov 2007
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfuller1250 View Post
I take it then you like the osiris?
Yes- absolutely! From practical standpoint, the ratio of air-time to maintenance is amazing. All I've had to do is charge batterys and replace the main wheels (hubs broke). Spoiled this old glow guy. Some say initial investment is too high (Castle Ice Light 100, Hacker A50-12s, Futaba digitals), but I've found well worth it- as cost/flight is now low and getting lower all the time. Capability is more than needed for Sportsman. Only two drawbacks I've found: 15mph wind is about max I'm comfortable with and 2)the model gets harder to see well when flown out beyond 150m but can't hold that against it-- it's not a 2m plane (and nowhere near that cost).
Jeff Worsham is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Worsham
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:29 PM
Fly til dark
jfuller1250's Avatar
United States, IN, Bourbon
Joined Nov 2011
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Worsham View Post
Yes- absolutely! From practical standpoint, the ratio of air-time to maintenance is amazing. All I've had to do is charge batterys and replace the main wheels (hubs broke). Spoiled this old glow guy. Some say initial investment is too high (Castle Ice Light 100, Hacker A50-12s, Futaba digitals), but I've found well worth it- as cost/flight is now low and getting lower all the time. Capability is more than needed for Sportsman. Only two drawbacks I've found: 15mph wind is about max I'm comfortable with and 2)the model gets harder to see well when flown out beyond 150m but can't hold that against it-- it's not a 2m plane (and nowhere near that cost).
Thats great to hear. I was going to fly mine today but 25mph winds here. Always nice to know that it is a good plane. I am going to see how things go from now through spring and hope to sign up for the sportsman class around here. Thanks for all the info.
jfuller1250 is offline Find More Posts by jfuller1250
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:40 PM
Registered User
HouseOf4Doors's Avatar
United States, CA, Richmond
Joined Dec 2007
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfuller1250 View Post
I am new and just getting started in pattern flying. I just got a 62 Osiris which is set up to Aj's suggested. Being that I know nothing on pattern where is a good start or the best way to learn? Looking for any help or suggestions. Thanks.
Here are some links for you:

AMA Pattern Rulebook: http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/2...erobatics1.pdf

Get 401 sequence here: http://nsrca.us/index.php/sequences

Get "Aresti Made Simple" here: http://www.fightercombat.com/wp-cont...mple_20051.pdf

Get Aresti Dictionary here: http://www.alasdemijas.es/tablas%20i...STI-DICTIONARY[1].pdf

Peter Goldsmith's Trimming Procedure: http://www.freewebs.com/scrcflyers/P...0Procedure.pdf

I also read lots of Dean Pappas' amazing articles in Flying Models. He doesn't write the monthly pattern article there any more but word has it someone he endorses took over: http://www.flying-models.com/

Use the rudder lots. Speaking of rudder, check out Bill's Rudder Rules on this forum if you're new to rudder-intensive flying.

Memorize the pattern in both directions and practice. Fly it in your head as you fall asleep at night.

Have fun with it and find a mentor. Don't worry about upgrading your equipment. I'd guess most beginners could fly the Osiris 2K flights and there'd by still lots the model could teach.

It's a great sport!

Bill

NSRCA 4445, D7
HouseOf4Doors is offline Find More Posts by HouseOf4Doors
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:53 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Carson
Joined Dec 2012
24 Posts
I am new in here to.
I have aj slick and a few fuel pattern plane. But still at the bottom level

I happy that i found this thread.
saab2 is offline Find More Posts by saab2
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Pattern Flying - Atlanta / Marietta Area rharris F3A Pattern 4 Aug 04, 2012 07:53 PM
Discussion EDF flying patterns. viperviper Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 13 Jul 07, 2012 05:46 AM
Discussion Dumb question about pattern flying balance Stubbsy lad F3A Pattern 4 Jun 15, 2012 06:54 AM
Discussion Air Lite Pattern Plane - anybody still flying one? gatorlynch 3D Flying 3 May 07, 2012 02:04 PM
Discussion New To Pattern Flying...Single Stick Radio Question TexasThermalKing Competition Aerobatics 4 Dec 16, 2009 12:37 PM