HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Today, 03:31 AM
Let me Fly please :^)
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookster View Post
So guys, I'm in a bit of a unique situation. My grandfather would join me for these airplane events. he missed this last one because he suddenly developed pancreatitis. Things don't look good. He was a railroad man for the Santa Fe. So a couple questions come to mind. I am considering repainting the plane into a totally fictional red and silver warbonnet scheme. So what type of paint works? also, what can I do to increase the lifespan of this aircraft? I have an AS3X Rx, but I am worried that the constant adjustments from it will burn up the stock servos. Im sure a targeted search will provide the answers, but im struggling to find them. I just need to focus my energy somewhere besides things I cant control. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Here pete has a real nice resume
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=9550
Paul-RC is offline Find More Posts by Paul-RC
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 08:59 AM
Whad'ya mean over engineered?
United States, CA, Clearlake Oaks
Joined Jul 2011
1,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookster View Post
IS the stock setup bad? never considered replacing the servos.
Wookster,

Sorry to hear about your grandfather. The only reason I changed out my flap servo was that the HS-55 was the same size and I had several new servo arms for it! It's kind of difficult to compare as I haven't been able to find specs for the stock servos. My friend who maidened his the same day as mine was fighting with the water rudder steering on his and resorted to this (see photo) to cure it, he felt the servo didn't have enough power to drive everything so he added a second one. I will say he now has very positive steering but wouldn't recommend it as plenty of folk's here have got them to work acceplably with some attention and fine tuning. I was going to switch them because I have Hitec's in most of my planes but I hadn't heard about the HS-55's stripping gears so I'll probably leave them alone until I have a reason to swap them out.

Robin
cubcrafter60 is online now Find More Posts by cubcrafter60
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by cubcrafter60; Today at 09:12 AM.
Old Today, 05:16 PM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubcrafter60 View Post
Wookster,

Sorry to hear about your grandfather. The only reason I changed out my flap servo was that the HS-55 was the same size and I had several new servo arms for it! It's kind of difficult to compare as I haven't been able to find specs for the stock servos. My friend who maidened his the same day as mine was fighting with the water rudder steering on his and resorted to this (see photo) to cure it, he felt the servo didn't have enough power to drive everything so he added a second one. I will say he now has very positive steering but wouldn't recommend it as plenty of folk's here have got them to work acceplably with some attention and fine tuning. I was going to switch them because I have Hitec's in most of my planes but I hadn't heard about the HS-55's stripping gears so I'll probably leave them alone until I have a reason to swap them out.

Robin
Thats a neat idea the servo under the belly with cables
Old Today, 06:47 PM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,728 Posts
Oh what an evening!
antslake is online now Find More Posts by antslake
Old Today, 06:54 PM
Montreal,Canada
Joined Mar 2003
3,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antslake View Post
Oh what an evening!
I really like the first shot, it looks great
Old Today, 08:48 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1,553 Posts
Paul,
It definitely cured his water rudder steering issues but I'm going to go for a more scale like pull-pull system and try to make it work before I resort to that.

antslake,
Beautiful! Were the lights pretty visible or are they just hard to see the lights in the photos?
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyzone DHC-2 Beaver maiden!
Old Today, 09:11 PM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,728 Posts
Thanks guys. For the record I took the picture while I was flying, quite challenging lol. The lights are a bit disappointing. You really don't notice them unless it is facing you or it's close. Then you are like "oh it's got lights". Thinking of upgrading those.
antslake is online now Find More Posts by antslake
Old Today, 09:15 PM
Springfield, VA
Joined Feb 2000
1,167 Posts
Progressing...

So thought I would provide a progress update. Have silkspanned the vertical stabs, the fuselages, and the wings. I also put an extra coat of my version of the recipe on the stabs and fuselages, and on the flaps and ailerons, but not on the wings yet.

Pictures show what they look like now. What they can't convey is the texture. The stabs and fuselage have essentially no foam cell texture visible, and even though it can be seen on the wings, it feels completely smooth. At this point I think I am going to primer a flap, and paint it, to see how it comes out, and may also do a wing, so I can determine if an additional recipe coat is really needed.

Weight gain: 10.5g on the stab, 28g on the left wing, and 27g on the right wing. The fuselage I can't report on since I took off the cowl and motor, so can't do an apples to apples comparison ( and no, I didn't think to weigh it without that stuff before starting--that would have been too reasonable :-))

I am also going to paint it, I am going to use the Beav-Air scheme. http://www.airliners.net/photo/Beav-...e9de8fc29238ff

A nice side benefit of the silkspan application is the ailerons and flaps are now much stiffer than they were, with very little flexing, and the wings/stab/rudder are stiffer as well. Again, I need the weekend to make any real progress as the week is always too full...Pete M
pmisuinas is online now Find More Posts by pmisuinas
Old Today, 10:57 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1,553 Posts
Pete,

Well you certainly picked a well documented subject, I just counted and found I have 99 photos of N930AJ in my collection (there may be one or two duplicates )! How are you going to attack the anphibious floats? There was a time I was considering a Pacific Coastal scheme and since they are all anphibs I just figured I'd hang a set of nose wheels on the front of the floats (in the retracted position of course) and since the mains don't have doors I'd just paint the wheel wells on the bottom of the floats.

On another note, our annual 'Clearlake splash in' (full size) is coming up on the 27th. They usually have a Beaver there but the last three years it's been a turnine powered version. If a round nosed version shows up, anyone need pic's of anything?

Robin
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyzone DHC-2 Beaver maiden!