HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 03, 2013, 07:37 AM
UMX Radian/Formosa/370Pro/DX6i
United States, WA, La Conner
Joined Jan 2013
228 Posts
Working on a throttle hold switch on my DX6i. I have to bench test this still. the DX6i has a throttle cut button, but the throttle hold function does not work n ARCO, only in Heli. So I replaced the throttle cut button with a toggle switch.

I will tie the plane down this morning and test the function. The concern is that the full down postion on the stick is at 10% and the throller cut switch moves it to 0%. So what happens it you install a new battery with the switch on and then release it. More to follow.

On another note, I saw that one has to be careful when binding the receive to not hold the bind switch on the radio after it's tones, as that is when the failsafe info downloads. Holding the switch to long blocks that down load.

Switch EG2368-ND
Ring CKN1754-ND
digikey.com

ON Edit: I tested all sorts of sequences and could not create an issue that would cause a run away throttle. So I think I am going to like having this throttle hold function available. Switch and beauty ring/nut cost 6.06 with shipping. I had to cut away a bit of the mounts for the OEM throttle cut button, however tried to leave enough that it could be put back if need.

Chris

snoking is offline Find More Posts by snoking
Last edited by snoking; Mar 03, 2013 at 08:45 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2013, 05:09 PM
1st to the scene of the crash
United States, GA, Dalton
Joined Jul 2012
1,458 Posts
Update to esc problem changed it twice factory and turnigy still does same thing, throttle starts at 50% switched TX made no difference, so got tomake a run to FL for a couple days (hope the King Air don't act stupid), taking plane back to hobbytown when I return. I even bought new battery changed all connectors to EC3's still have same issues. Not mad or anything need to learn to fly my champ first so gamma is on back burner. I think I'll see if I can upgrade to the pro model. Futher updates to come.
Laneritc is online now Find More Posts by Laneritc
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2013, 09:30 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Feb 2006
399 Posts
im in cali and just went to hobby town website trying to get best price possible for the rtf version and i believe i found it.

tucson arizona hobby town has rtf for $120 plus $5 shipping, i wont have to pay taxes. i think im going for it, finally, after so much thinking about going for pro then getting tx and rx charger batteries brushless system regular wing etc. etc. infinitum

i noticed on the tucson hobby town store website the rtf is $10 less than every other hobby town i looked at is because they charge at least 25% more for parts. so i think theyre taking a chance there. anyhow im itching to pull the trigger, $120 rtf for this plane. this or the stratos at $130
Luisfc1972 is offline Find More Posts by Luisfc1972
Old Mar 03, 2013, 11:34 PM
Joined Dec 2012
38 Posts
Here is the newest stock plane, painted and ready to go. Also a pic of the newest project. A low wing Gamma. I am very curious to see if the low wing works. I still have the Twin engine Gamma. I moved the battery under the wing. It flies very heavy now. I will probably move it back to the front/stock battery area. It seemed to fly lighter there. If the low wing works, the next will be a low wing with ailerons.

On a side note, I have been using the E-Flight 480 with a 9x7.5 and think it is the best setup. It has great low end, and good sppeed as well. My buddy and I raced, well, as much as you can race, I pulled him quick on the bottom and he was barley pulling even at the end. We did a slight climb and about a 10 second full throtle burst. It also flies really well at slow speeds. Average 10 min flight with a 1300 3s. I can get as much as 15 min if I climb and glide.
oddballs41 is offline Find More Posts by oddballs41
Old Mar 04, 2013, 03:28 AM
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Oct 2012
23 Posts
I was wanting to setup a low wing Ares as well, keep us posted on how she flies. My 4S Ares setup with a low wing would be awesome!
Cubieman is offline Find More Posts by Cubieman
Old Mar 04, 2013, 04:37 AM
Joined Dec 2012
50 Posts
For me,the 8X6 slow prop from GWS works great with the brushless motor and the standard wing. Tried to fly with the stock 9X7 with the 2c battery as suggested by Ares but ran very slow with poor vertical. Is there a reason they suggested this set up?
ckelly14 is offline Find More Posts by ckelly14
Old Mar 04, 2013, 06:11 AM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
2,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly14 View Post
For me,the 8X6 slow prop from GWS works great with the brushless motor and the standard wing. Tried to fly with the stock 9X7 with the 2c battery as suggested by Ares but ran very slow with poor vertical. Is there a reason they suggested this set up?
Ares suggests that setup for slow flyers and newbies.
Speed is not a beginner's friend.
ChinoDiablo is online now Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Old Mar 04, 2013, 08:33 AM
Joined Dec 2012
38 Posts
I will keep you updated for sure. As soon as we get a calm day, I am putting her up. Chino is spot on. The 9x7.5 works great with my motor because it has a lower kv. I have taken a tape to it and I can lift off and go straight up in 3.5 feet. I love my set up and was just putting it out there. One thing I like about the E-Flight motor is the shaft is bigger and wont bend as easy as the Ares shaft. Plus Ares doesn"t offer a replacement shaft, that I know of. E-Flight does.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 11:05 AM
Joined Dec 2012
50 Posts
I'm a newbie and like it slow, but I just felt the 8X6 worked better with the 2 cell battery than the 9X7. Felt like the 9X7 made it difficult for the Gamma to gain altitude. There's nothing inherently wrong with using the 8X6 with the 2 cell battery, is there?
ckelly14 is offline Find More Posts by ckelly14
Old Mar 04, 2013, 01:32 PM
17 years on RCG!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 1996
3,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laneritc View Post
Well made the 30 mile 45 min drive to hobby shop today, the ESC that showed to be in stock wasn't, kinda showed my displeasure a little bit. The guy there thought problem may be in my DX6I program, I askedthem to show me a throttle program that might fix issue, they couldn't do it. Wasn't really mad don't plan on flying the gamma till I destory my Champ first. Haven't flow a plane in many years, been flying chopters & quads. Think I'll buy aftermarket ESC any advise or suggestions on what to get & where? Thanks Lane
Hello Lane,

Fortunately the issue you're experiencing is not related to a problematic ESC or transmitter. It's rather a difference in the endpoint values of the DX6i transmitter which can mostly be addressed by making the following changes:

- Raise the throttle trim to the highest possible position (and keep it there at all times)

- Enter the SUB-TRIM function and change the value for the throttle (THRO) channel to UP 100%

After making those changes the throttle should 'start' much sooner after you raise the throttle stick from the lowest possible position.

Jason M.
Ares RC Product Development
Jason M is offline Find More Posts by Jason M
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2013, 05:11 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,871 Posts
Jason, could you do this with the DX5e?
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Mar 04, 2013, 05:30 PM
Joined Dec 2012
38 Posts
ckelly14, no, there is nothing wrong with it. Do what feels best or works for you. I fly half or less throtle most of the time, I just like the quick hit. In my opinion, this hobby, like so many others, is all about having fun and trying different stuff. I dont know if this weill help or confuse the throtle/transmiter/reciever debate. I run a DX6. With a ares motor and ar600 or ar400 reciever, I have about 1/8 before the motor hits. With the same DX6, a E-Flight motor and a ar600reciever, I have about 1/4 before the motor hits. I have always just assumed that it is just that way.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 05:40 PM
Joined Dec 2012
38 Posts
WOW. For the fun of it I tried what Jason M said. It helped my E-Flight motor it hits within 1/8 now. The Ares, instant. Thanks Jason.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 05:41 PM
Joined Dec 2012
38 Posts
I have noticed something. The Ares motors that I have will not spin freely, unless the battery is plugged in. My E-Flight motor spins freely no matter. Any ideas why?
Old Mar 04, 2013, 07:18 PM
1st to the scene of the crash
United States, GA, Dalton
Joined Jul 2012
1,458 Posts
Thanks Jason for responding I really like your product and plan on buying the pro model very soon, I'llbe back in town Thursday or Friday and will do as you recommend, I really hope it fixes my problem, as I said before not mad need to learn basic flying before I try the gamma will update by the weekend, Thanks again for your reply. Lane
Laneritc is online now Find More Posts by Laneritc
RCG Plus Member