HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 22, 2012, 10:13 PM
Auckland.
Joined Jun 2010
90 Posts
Build Log
R&r kestrel

Okay time to start a new thread to document my build and hopefully successful flight(s) of a Kestrel built from plans supplied from R&R.

Fortunately I have the resources of a fully equipped workshop (At my place of work) to manufacture whatever is needed.

My plan is not to copy the plans exactly, but to improve, improvise and generally deviate as thoughts happen or as required.

One of the main deviations from the plans will be the use of Metric components. Yes I can work in both imperial and metric, and convert on the fly but it is much more convenient for me to work in metric and purchase the parts.

Enough of the pre-amble.

Earlier this week a box arrived with two cd’s full of videos mainly about building the wings, an assembly / construction document, a design manual, parts list and two large folded sheets containing drawings of various parts of the bird.

My first step was to photocopy the main section detailing the body of the bird so that I had a working copy to refer to. (I hate damaging original drawings hence the need for copies to work from.) especially as I paid for them.

A quick search on Google resulted in no local suppliers of G-10 material, but luckily I have mates in the PCB fabrication industry and a quick phone call and in exchange for a dozen cans of beers I have a selection of 1.6mm & 2mm FR-4 Fibreglass board in the boot of my car.
Snetzka is offline Find More Posts by Snetzka
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2012, 04:45 AM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,141 Posts
fr4 to my knowledge is the same as g10 but more flexable i just used carbon fibre g10 is mostly used in transformers or curcuit boards as insulation is available in melborne but i had a hard time finding it . cheers brian
therealthing691 is online now Find More Posts by therealthing691
Old Mar 23, 2012, 06:04 AM
Montrose, Co.
Joined Mar 2003
62 Posts
Kestrel

I made more than several of the Kestrels from the plans. The most difficult was making the main shaft with the eccentric on one end. Made it much easier by making the shaft plain and bolting the eccentrics on both ends. Made it easier to clock also.

Norm
lorinorm is offline Find More Posts by lorinorm
Old Mar 23, 2012, 10:18 PM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,141 Posts
if you need any help sourcing things just ask Cheers brian
Old Mar 25, 2012, 02:10 PM
Auckland.
Joined Jun 2010
90 Posts
Thanks for the advice / offers guys much appreciated as is any pointers from any of you who have followed this path before..

So I have a plan in my mind... and a quick search around the garage at home uncovered these lengths of Aluminium that i am sure will come in handy...

Name: IMG_1780.jpg
Views: 53
Size: 95.8 KB
Description: Aluminium Extrusion.

Last weekend was unusally quiet at home so I took full advantage of the situation and armed with a junior hacksaw blade, a set of swiss files, a dremel and a drill press I set to work.. (My home workshop is a bit lacking.!)

Firstly the body -

Name: IMG_1774.jpg
Views: 76
Size: 61.0 KB
Description: Main Body.

You will note the holes are not 100% as per drawing, the reason will come to light as i progress, but basically i am going to use parts from my RC helicopter spares bin, and order in those parts i do not have.

Name: IMG_1778.jpg
Views: 51
Size: 208.6 KB
Description: TAil Peice

Name: IMG_1779.jpg
Views: 52
Size: 119.0 KB
Description: Tail Peice Fitted

Name: IMG_1777.jpg
Views: 61
Size: 188.8 KB
Description: Servo Support Peices.

Name: IMG_1776.jpg
Views: 58
Size: 179.2 KB
Description: Servo Support Assemblied.

Then i got to the tail part and not having the hex spacers, but I do have a collection of Aluminium round spacers, so i modified the design a little... I think the functionallity is the same so ...

Name: IMG_1771.jpg
Views: 58
Size: 154.6 KB
Description: Tail Support Parts.

Name: IMG_1772.jpg
Views: 53
Size: 37.0 KB
Description: Tail Support Assemblied - 1

Name: IMG_1773.jpg
Views: 56
Size: 41.5 KB
Description: Tail SUpport Assemblied - 2

Now I am not so sure about the complex anchor system of four pieces of fibreglass that slot together to create the pivot for the wing roots, here comes my first of many deviation from the plans. As you saw in my first photo I have a selection of extruded aluminium which looks like it could fit the bill. It should be be easier to fabricate and stronger / lighter. Two pieces of the 'U' section screwed back to back with ball bearings as the pivot points should be an improvement.

So i roughed out a pair...

Name: IMG_1775.jpg
Views: 69
Size: 86.9 KB
Description: Hinge Assembly.

A few internet orders for gears, bearings and other small parts were sent off and i will await their arrival. Meanwhile i will complete the hinge mechanics today / tomorrow and check it's alignment / dimensions with the plan...
Old Mar 25, 2012, 09:10 PM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,141 Posts
lookin good
Old Mar 26, 2012, 02:09 PM
Auckland.
Joined Jun 2010
90 Posts
Well i managed to track down a local source of ripstop, dacron and carbon fibre rod. The kite shop in downtown Auckland has a fair range of the stuff, although the nylon colour choice is a bit limited (White, Purple or Black) so it's either a seagull or blackbird i guess.

Carbon Rod.
4mm @ 1.5m $15
3mm @1m $10
2.6mm @1.5m $10
2.3mm @1.5m $10
2mm @ 1m $10
1.5mm @1.5m $10
1.2mm @1.5m $10

.5 oz ripstop is $35 a meter 1.5m wide (white purple black)

50mm dacron tape is $5 a meter in black

double sided Seam tape is $5 for 5mm $10 for 10mm and $15 for 20mm

I also see the local hobby shop (Hobbycity) have 1mm Rod in stock, looks like i'm going shopping at lunch time to pick up the goodies..
Old Mar 26, 2012, 02:13 PM
Joined Apr 2006
1,856 Posts
Make sure you get the good double sided seam tapes, or they will come loose after a little while. Sailrite.com carries some good induatrial grage 3M seam tapes.
LifeisGood is offline Find More Posts by LifeisGood
Old Mar 27, 2012, 01:32 PM
Auckland.
Joined Jun 2010
90 Posts
So it's official, i am building a blackbird after my purchase of a meter of Black Ripstop and dacron yesterday. But after standing there and watching the guy cut it with a hot knife, i realised that i if i am going to cut this stuff correctly i will need one of those.

I got home last night and pulled out an old (spare) soldering iron (not one of my good soldering station ones.!) It's just a simple iron, 240v powered with a replacable, push in copper bit. I removed the bit and after pondering for 10-15 mins on how to attach a scapel blade to the bit, I decide why not just make the bit the cutting part as well.

With a hammer in one hand and the copper bit in the other i took about pounding the end of the soldering iron bit in to a knife shape. Then 1-2 mins work with a swiss file and there it was a replaceble bit with a knife edge.

Name: IMG_1790.jpg
Views: 57
Size: 51.1 KB
Description: Soldering Iron bit Shaped.

I plugged in the iron and touched it to the nylon - It works.!

After that i started to assemble the two carbon rods to the tail assy in preparation of making the tail first, maybe at the weekend - today i will make a template for the tail to cut the ripstop.
Last edited by Snetzka; Mar 28, 2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 06:46 PM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,141 Posts
sounds cool good luck with it all cheers brian
Old Mar 28, 2012, 01:22 PM
Auckland.
Joined Jun 2010
90 Posts
Well things are about to slow down here for about a week. For thee next two days i have auditors here at the office, and then for 8 days over Easter (Yes - working over Easter.!) i am returning the favour and auditing our production fascility in China.

But i will continue to build and make records to update this thread as / when possible.

Any way last night i started putting together the tail assembly, with the plan to complete it over the coming weekend .

Name: IMG_1787.jpg
Views: 62
Size: 49.2 KB
Description: Tail construction starts.

Then my plan was always to try and re-use as much as possible some RC Helicopter parts that i have lying around so i found these and decided they would fit just nice in the bird.. - 72T and 11T MXL timing pulleys.

Name: IMG_1791.jpg
Views: 71
Size: 89.5 KB
Description: 72T & 11T Pulley.

After thinking about it for a few minutes... The result was.

Name: IMG_1788.jpg
Views: 51
Size: 52.3 KB
Description: 50mm hole for pulley. Name: IMG_1789.jpg
Views: 57
Size: 54.8 KB
Description: Humm...  Big hole..

Too late for second thoughts...!!

Onwards and upwards...!!
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:50 PM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,141 Posts
you at least need 50;1 up to 100.1 depending on span and chord but presume you know this of the plan that ratio word work well with 4000 kv
Old Mar 29, 2012, 01:13 PM
Auckland.
Joined Jun 2010
90 Posts
Yep - Thanks 'Reall Thing' I am going for the usual two stage reduction set-up, but I am still hunting through the boxes of stuff to find the rest of my bits.! I know i have them somewhere, just which box they are in eludes me at the moment.

Meanwhile the auditor causes me pain..... back to building tonight ..
Old Apr 11, 2012, 03:03 PM
Auckland.
Joined Jun 2010
90 Posts
Well a painful audit both here and in China, but i am now back to finish this build.

I am greeted by multiple little packets on my desk of parts that have arrived whilst i was away and i am itching to finish this build.

So tonight i willl dust off the bird and continue, photo's of progress tomorrow.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 06:49 PM
Auckland.
Joined Jun 2010
90 Posts
Well in my enthusiasm i forgot to bring the camera into the office today, but i will update the thread later when i get home with the pictures.

Over the weekend (apart from domestic chores) I managed to build my first tail – It was a bit daunting at first as I have never played with rip-stop and the associated Dacron and tape, but it all went well…

Name: DSCF1182.jpg
Views: 76
Size: 121.7 KB
Description: A tail.

I spent a lot of time pondering the gear box and the picture (When I post it.) will show the start of that assembly. I need a bit more time to get everything in the right place, but the dark nights down here now are great for that..

And as you can see from the photo (again when I post it) the tail assembly is just waiting for my servos to arrive, and the flapping mechanism is held temporary in place. The CSK screws will be replaced with a machined bars shortly.

Name: DSCF1180.jpg
Views: 72
Size: 78.6 KB
Description: The flapping Mech.

Name: DSCF1181.jpg
Views: 74
Size: 92.8 KB
Description: More Flapping Hinge

I also need an other trip to the kite shop this week to stock up on more carbon fibre rod…. Ready for my attempt at making the wings…
Last edited by Snetzka; Apr 19, 2012 at 02:20 PM.