Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:49 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soarrich View Post
Joe
What did you use to remove the graphics?
I simply used clear packing tape to pull off the water slide decals...worked very well, zero damage.

Got mine in the air Saturday. One short flight at an aft CG of around 40 mm, then landed and did some adjusting and then two very nice flights with the CG around 32 mm. REALLY enjoyed it. Looked awesome in the air and got a lot of notice at the field. Surprisingly aerobatic.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:58 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Jun 2010
16 Posts
I just unboxed my PNP version and it looks pretty cool. A few questions:
  • One of my hinges is super thin and tore at the end from minor handling. I had planned on using some hinge tape anyway. What, if any, hinge tape you guys are using?
  • Have any of you keyed holes in the center spar for the wing mount screws?
  • The foam "plug" for the wing spars in the wing bottoms isn't quite flush with the rest of the wing. Have any of you found the same issue and sanded it down?
DrivinWest is offline Find More Posts by DrivinWest
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:45 AM
Soarrich
Middletown, NJ
Joined Dec 2003
509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
I simply used clear packing tape to pull off the water slide decals...worked very well, zero damage.

Thanks, I would never have thought of that. I tried peeling them off, but that wasn't working.

I have the kit, I glued the ply framework with Ambroid, then used Becon Foam-Tac to glue the fuse sides and tail on. I put a 883kv motor, 11x7 Cam folding prop, 30 amp speed controller, 2200 mah lipo, and a OrangeRx Futaba FASST Compatible 8Ch 2.4Ghz Receiver from hobbyKing in it today. I was going to use a spinner, but it stuck too far out from the cowl and looked stupid.
soarrich is offline Find More Posts by soarrich
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:25 PM
Soarrich
Middletown, NJ
Joined Dec 2003
509 Posts
I tried the packing tape idea, it pulls the graphics off, but it also takes the very light paint off as well. I got to think about it a little more.

I plugged the wings in, my wing joiner was 22 mm too long, so I cut it. It turns out it's fiberglass with black epoxy NOT carbon-fiber, that's OK from the reports and videos it's adequate for the job.

Mine balances 10mm behind the wheel cut-out using the 2200 mah battery.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 06:28 PM
Soarrich
Middletown, NJ
Joined Dec 2003
509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SENTRY 62 View Post
The rudder can use some enlargement if you're a control guy (can be remedied with monster throws).
Why does it need more rudder?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:41 PM
USA, KY, Louisville
Joined Oct 2002
700 Posts
Wait!!! Tool are the joiner wasn't too long:-(

There are set screws in the wing....
Bummer you need that length
Gordy
Gordysoar is online now Find More Posts by Gordysoar
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2012, 07:46 PM
Soarrich
Middletown, NJ
Joined Dec 2003
509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordysoar View Post
There are set screws in the wing....
Bummer you need that length
Gordy
I don't understand what you mean.

I have the wings opened up, the joiner goes into both pinch blocks with the wing totally plugged into the fuse.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:45 AM
Soarrich
Middletown, NJ
Joined Dec 2003
509 Posts
5 servos off ESC?

I was working on my wing last night and felt the ESC, it was very hot just driving my five 9g servos. Should we be running a separate battery for the radio? The specs on the servo said Operating Current: 200mA / 250mA 4v &6v, the ESC is good for 3A.

I'm having problems with my HobbyKing TGY-9025MG Metal Gear Servo 1.8kg/ 11g/ 0.09sec, all new out of the boxs, they are all buzzing and drifting around. I'm hoping it's not a servo problem, I just bought 30 of them.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:49 AM
USA, KY, Louisville
Joined Oct 2002
700 Posts
Actually Flew mine yesterday

I balanced it at the 40mm because I knew that all suppliers set their recommended CGs forward to make them a bit idiot proof.

When us sailplane guys take a new ship out to fly we always give it a light left handed toss to check elevator incidence. If it is on, the model will fly about 100'+ before settling on to its belly. Of course I am talking about a 156" span ship that weighs about the same as this foamie toy. so the wing loading is a lot less.

As I said I set it at the 40mm and gave it the usual left handed toss. Clearly 40mm is NOT a good spot because it just about smashed down in front of me....nose first. I had the 1600mah 3 cell's front end even with the canopy magnets. I move the pack as far back as it will go in the tray and threw it again...this time it flew out about 25'. It was almost uncontrollable in pitch so I reduced the elevator rates using my dual rate setting from about 1" up to about 3/8" up. Clearly its still a bit nose heavy but flyable for now.

My linkages are in the lowest holes of the servo arms and the second from the top holes in the surface horns.

Only two cells are good in this pack so it had just enough power to cruise around the field comfortably at about 30'. Good enough for test flying.

I also reduced rates on the aileron , but clearly the elevator and aileron system is pretty crappy so will be mixing to elevons to provide more trailing edge reflex. That will make the model far more stably in level flight at low speeds. The full span control surface will give more control will less force on the foam surfaces.

I may take it out again today as is but will try a new lighter 3 cell pack.

Gordy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Gordysoar; Dec 13, 2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:46 PM
Soarrich
Middletown, NJ
Joined Dec 2003
509 Posts
I will be ready tomorrow!

I would have test flown today but it turns out that my Rx is bad. After the Rx warms up the servos start hunting and buzzing, changed out the Rx now it's OK. Video tomorrow.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:42 PM
USA, KY, Louisville
Joined Oct 2002
700 Posts
Video of my first flights

Cg is at about 44mm still a bit nose heavy
Installed an altitude limit switch set At 200m
Got 6 minute flight in cold calm air.

I've tried to set the brake but its not working:-(

Go to YouTube gordySoar channel I have to short clips
Gordy
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:10 AM
Soarrich
Middletown, NJ
Joined Dec 2003
509 Posts
Test flight

I did a test flight today. I'm using a 2200mah battery set as far back in the fuse as it would go it balanced at 46mm. Gordy said he had to cut his throws from 1" to 3/8" so even though I like lots of throw normally I set my low rates up at 30% just in case. The wing was blowing about 15 mph, but not too gusty, so thinking the wind is your friend in a hand launch I went for it.

I had a friend throw it for me. WOW it shot up about 50 feet, I gave it a little down, it came down about 49 feet, this went on for about a minute until I worked it up high enough that I thought I could risk finding the low rate switch. I got it into low rates now I'm only going up and down 25 feet each time. I find it's got too much up in it, I used all my down trim which wasn't enough so now I'm holding down in the stick, but down is really touchy, I'm porpoising all over the sky. The only time it's semi-stable is in a tight circle, so I work the circle closer to the ground, leveled the wings and plopped it on the ground. I'm really surprised this didn't turn out badly, good thing I read Gordy's story of cutting his rates. Reviewing the flight a couple things come to mind:

The wings can really bow, I would say the tips where going up and down two feet each way.

You don't need much throw.

I cut my throws to 30% for high rates and 20% for low, then reset the elevator trim and had another go at it. 46mm. I really got my hands full, I'm flying it, not just avoiding a crash like before, but this is super touchy so I land. I moved my battery as far forward as it would go, up to the back of the canopy, and went again before I chickened out. What a pussy cat now, it actually flies nicely, the low rate is not quite enough throw now, so I switched to high rate on the elevator, I like it.

When I got home I checked the balance it's a 42mm, and I have about 1/4" throw in the elevator, so I'll fly it this way for a while. I looked at the video, it sucked, it's REALLY hard to find someone to take pictures of planes.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:14 PM
USA, KY, Louisville
Joined Oct 2002
700 Posts
Okay glad it didn't crash
But
Why would you think it would be a good idea to start behind the recommended 40 to 42mm?
Soarich started with the battery all the way back --- the next flight moved it about 2" forward.

Anyway
It still flew with the pack all the way back
That tells you the right spot is somewhere between.

At 42mm the plane can at least flare a bit at slow landing speed.

This isn't about proving who's wrong or right it's about helping set the model up so it can go UP without the motor or at least come in slow enough to catch it.

If there isn't needless name weight for the elevators to have to move then far less elevator movement will be needed and pitch can be controlled at far lower landing soeed.

Put enough motor on anything and it can be propelled thru the air. Flying is a different thing.

Gordy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Gordysoar; Dec 15, 2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:01 PM
USA, KY, Louisville
Joined Oct 2002
700 Posts
Wing Flexing

There is no wing flex IF you are flying it as a sailplane...and if you have the rates turned down to what is needed, versus what there was when you turned on the radio.

The linkages should be in the hole closest to the servo screw on each servo and about the second hole from the top on the surfaces. That will help keep the surfaces where your thumb is asking them to stay. Do not use expo as it will cause you to over control....drop a weight hooked to a rubber band then see what the weight does...with expo on the stick nothing happens until you move the stick far enough,then a more happens than you planned for. Just reduce your rates for all two or three rate positions on your TX.

If you have too much rate then once you get the model bouncing the wings start flexing and....it all continues.

I did not once notice a need to stiffen the wing during my flight. I got a few seconds over 5 mins on the second launch. I am using an ALES alititude motor shut off switch set at 200meters. I have it programmed so that it will not allow the motor to be restarted before landing.

Settle things down and even a rubber pioneer can thermal well -)
Gordy
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:03 PM
USA, KY, Louisville
Joined Oct 2002
700 Posts
Has anyone figured out the Brake programming?

I tried it a few times, usually you put the TX throttle stick at full, plug in the speed control, it beeps 4 times then a second set of tones happen, if you move the throttle to low during that second set, it should turn on the brake but its not. I played with throttle end points too.

The prop freewheeling is a tremendous amount of drag.
We have to get that figured out.
Gordy
RCG Plus Member