HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2011, 09:52 PM
Austin TEXAS area
Joined Apr 2008
350 Posts
One of my club mates is preping to convert his to taildragger. we have a very rough field and he is done with repairing/modding/rebuilding the nose gear and wants to get in on our spot landing contests we fly with super cubs. Should be a great short field bird when he is done. I'll post as he progresses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kman24 View Post
Thanks for the response Gooniac I have no doubt that the tricycle gear work well, but I really want the ability to operate off of rough terrain. I don't think the nose gear would hold up over time. Plus, I was thinking of adding 3" or 4" size wheels if I was able to convert it to a tail dragger.

KMan
pops57 is online now Find More Posts by pops57
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2011, 10:11 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
United States, NE, Bennington
Joined Jan 2010
4,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pops57 View Post
One of my club mates is preping to convert his to taildragger. we have a very rough field and he is done with repairing/modding/rebuilding the nose gear and wants to get in on our spot landing contests we fly with super cubs. Should be a great short field bird when he is done. I'll post as he progresses.
Thanks! I have a couple ideas on how to do it, but would love to see how he accomplishes it

KMan
kman24 is online now Find More Posts by kman24
Old Nov 10, 2011, 08:48 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,022 Posts
I will try to shoot some vids of me doing my short field approaches and take offs if the weather hold out. Even with the trike gear this plane forces you to do better and better.It rewards you with some of the best nose high main gear landings you have ever seen!! Its a challenge that I really enjoy and won't be changing the gear! Not to mention how much better of a turning radius trike gear has!!
gooniac33 is online now Find More Posts by gooniac33
Old Nov 11, 2011, 02:43 PM
Blade mSR freak
Irish Hills - SE Michigan
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
I replaced my rudder servo with a Hi-Tec metal gear version. Some slight grinding was required for proper fit. Hopefully this one lasts longer.
hydro_pyro is offline Find More Posts by hydro_pyro
Old Nov 11, 2011, 09:32 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
fyi, nitroplanes is having an 11% off sale this weekend.
Nitroplanes coupons
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Nov 12, 2011, 09:20 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,022 Posts
Now I am set!! Take a look...

Old Nov 14, 2011, 09:15 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,022 Posts
Videos of the plane flying last night...

One badass sky trainer (2 min 41 sec)

Ray's Badass Sky Trainer (1 min 6 sec)

More of Ray's cessna 182 (1 min 55 sec)
Old Nov 18, 2011, 06:39 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,467 Posts
Awesome lights Gooniac!!! I picked up some of the LED strips on sale, too. But, I haven't applied them to an plane yet. I am thinking of either applying it to a future plane like this one or my Dynam SR

KMan
Old Dec 03, 2011, 01:43 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Oct 2011
667 Posts
Hey everyone. I'm a noob and I just found this thread. I ordered one of the RTF Dynam Cessna and it arrived yesterday. Its already built but I'm just waiting until tomorrow to maiden it because I still have to secure the battery and receiver.

This is my first plane, but I've been flying 4 channel helis for a while now and I have been practicing on the sim with my Turnigy 9x for a couple months now so I'm pretty excited.

The first thing I did was change out the receiver to match my 9x, then added the flaps. I assigned the flaps to a potentiometer instead of a switch. Looks really cool when they deploy slowly instead of just snapping down, plus I can control how much flap I'm getting. Anyone know if the Dynam receiver will bind with the 9x?

I have a problem getting the battery in. I have big hands and its kinda hard to put the battery in from the bottom with the rudder rod thats connected to the wheel in the way. Also what do you guys use to secure the battery. I was gonna use double sided tape but I'm thinking velcro.
devgrp is offline Find More Posts by devgrp
Last edited by devgrp; Dec 03, 2011 at 01:49 PM.
Old Dec 04, 2011, 11:55 AM
Blade mSR freak
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
There's no need to secure the battery. It's held in place by the bottom cover.

The nose wheel rod needs to be shortened a bit and re-mounted, otherwise it will puncture the battery pack if the chock gets compressed upon landing.
Old Dec 04, 2011, 09:06 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Oct 2011
667 Posts
Yeah I know. Its just that its hard to get the battery in from the bottom and try to wedge in with the control rod in the way.

I flew for the first time today. Everything went well but I broke my motor shaft on my third take off. I launched and trimmed, flew around then landed to contain my excitement. On my third launch in the grass, the plane lifted off then fell over on the prop. I just ordered 5 replacement shafts and an extra motor.

BTW I have the blue motor
devgrp is offline Find More Posts by devgrp
Old Dec 05, 2011, 06:34 PM
Blade mSR freak
Joined Jan 2010
2,054 Posts
I was never able to extract the original shaft from my blue motor.
Old Dec 05, 2011, 07:17 PM
Addicted To Flying Foam
Joined Jan 2010
4,467 Posts
Well, for as much as I wanted to get this plane, I ended up getting the Airfield Sky Trainer kit on a BF special. It seemed to lend better towards converting to a tail dragger than the Dynam with the placement of the battery hatch underneath the fuselage.

KMan
Old Dec 06, 2011, 10:27 AM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,727 Posts
I'm still mystified by so many people wanting to convert tricycle gear planes to tail draggers. Trikes handle so much nicer and the 182 was never a tail dragger to start with.

Yeah, I know, tail draggers work better in grass but there are plenty of planes already configured like that. It seems far easier to get one, rather than bashing an inexpensive foamy like this. But to each his own.

I really enjoy doing scale takeoffs and landing on pavement with this model. It can look very realistic with a longer takeoff roll and gentle climbout. Landings with proper flare and nose up touchdown can be strikingly realistic.

I've had mine a year now and logged 209 flights on it. Still going strong.
dbc is offline Find More Posts by dbc
Old Dec 06, 2011, 11:47 AM
Sunnyvale
Joined Feb 2009
5,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
I'm still mystified by so many people wanting to convert tricycle gear planes to tail draggers. Trikes handle so much nicer and the 182 was never a tail dragger to start with.

Yeah, I know, tail draggers work better in grass but there are plenty of planes already configured like that. It seems far easier to get one, rather than bashing an inexpensive foamy like this. But to each his own.

I really enjoy doing scale takeoffs and landing on pavement with this model. It can look very realistic with a longer takeoff roll and gentle climbout. Landings with proper flare and nose up touchdown can be strikingly realistic.

I've had mine a year now and logged 209 flights on it. Still going strong.
It all boils down to personal preference. I love tail draggers and love their ability to land and take off just about anywhere. But they also let you get away with more crappy landings than trike gear. So I enjoy the challenge of the trike gear that this plane has! It forces you to land right! If you munch a landing in this thing you know for sure because you screw up the nose wheel. So not to knock anyone's preference at all but I will stick with the trike. I like the challenge and it is making me a better RC pilot!