HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 29, 2010, 09:06 PM
Want to Fly, Have to Work
Orlando, FL
Joined Feb 2003
990 Posts
Interesting info Kiwi. I didn't even know what it was I really had cause the only marking on the engine is "FOX" no number. Your dating is right on also. Mine was bought in 1974.

- Noel
BeerBatter is offline Find More Posts by BeerBatter
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2010, 09:17 PM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
845 Posts
There was also a 29 in the same case, but those had the number "29" stamped on one of the mounting lugs.

Kiwi
The Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by The Kiwi
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:21 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2010
419 Posts
The old Fox 35 was and still is an excellent engine. More than enough power for the CG airplanes. If your engine is stuck, just heat it with a heat gun and it will loosen right up. You don't have to soak it in anything. The big problem with older engines is they didn't come with a muffler and no way to mount one.
iluv2fli is offline Find More Posts by iluv2fli
Old Oct 01, 2010, 08:22 AM
GEE,...it BEE model time
Interlochen, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,713 Posts
Enjoying this thread; the CG Buster was one of my favorite models in my youth (along with the Cosmic Wind and Shoestring). Sure wish someone could post the full size parts in PDF so they could be built again. I used Fox .35's on my planes back then and had a great time. Watched a fellow flying a CL model at an RC Fun Fly not too long ago and that sure brought back the memories!

Soft landings,

Joe
piperjoe is offline Find More Posts by piperjoe
Old Oct 01, 2010, 09:39 AM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
845 Posts
Well, IF it really HAD been the real Fox 35 stunt engine . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluv2fli View Post
The old Fox 35 was and still is an excellent engine. More than enough power for the CG airplanes. If your engine is stuck, just heat it with a heat gun and it will loosen right up. You don't have to soak it in anything. The big problem with older engines is they didn't come with a muffler and no way to mount one.
The case on the old Fox stunt 35 is comparatively thin, and the typical clamp-on mufflers used a narrow band circling the cylinder. It is very easy to put the cylinder in a bind that ends up with an out of round bore.

In their original time frame, I was also doing some fishing, and the Penn Reel copany sold several supplemental reel clamps to improve the mounting of a heavy duty reel to a heavy duty rod. There is one such that is for a reel seat the same general diameter as the Fox 35 case's cylinder.

It's about an inch and a quarter wide, instead of maybe 3/8" of an inch for the stock part that came with a Tatone muffler, and spreads the clamping force across a larger section of the bypass. I bought and used those for the old Fox 35s when noise was a problem. The "spread" between bolt holes is also very close to what Tatone mufflers needed.

These days, we are in a hurry to clean the dried varnish out, and use a crock pot specifically for non-food items, containing a 100% antifreeze solution, and let it simmer overnight in that, somewhere the odor isn't offensive. Be sure not to leave it anywhere after it's turned off that a pet might get into it. Most antifreezes are poisonous (for the same reason, paint a big skull and crossbones on it so it never gets mixed with any normal "for-food" crock pot).

THe Sport 36 replaced the needle bearing 36X engine, but had essentially the same cylinder and piston, and very similar shaft timing. It doesn't run a 4-2-4 style stunt run, but wasn'r a "bad" old engine, just not anything like as desireable as a stunt 35 is.

Kiwi
The Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by The Kiwi
Old Feb 02, 2013, 11:19 PM
USA, WA, Ellensburg
Joined Mar 2004
206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBatter View Post
Made several rib pieces to bond alongside broken ones in the wing to repair and reinforce them.

Gonna fix the ribs and sand the wing next.

- Noel
Did you end up just gluing ribs alongside the old ones? Does that add much weight to the bird?

I have a Buster that I bought on ebay about 3 years ago that is a skeleton and was stored in a damp basement or out building as the plywood is delaminating and several ribs are broken or missing so I will have a similar project to yours. I did get plans from someone so I can at least make some new ribs.

The shoestring was my first real plane. I got it from AHC in NYC in 1963 along with a new McCoy .35 redhead. I still have the redhead but it is frozen up either from sitting these years or from the crash.
Mooney_Driver is offline Find More Posts by Mooney_Driver
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:11 AM
2948 scale Combat
Maryland
Joined Aug 2004
600 Posts
Well did this old plane ever fly again?

All these old engines locked up , it is a crime! Every time you look at or see an old engine oil it up I had bags of engines in the basement for 25 years and every one turns over.
Well I had one I got from a friend that was locked up but the crock pot and antifreeze and it works.

MOONEY_ keep us up to date on your rebuild and photos help...
critter1340 is offline Find More Posts by critter1340
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:50 PM
Want to Fly, Have to Work
Orlando, FL
Joined Feb 2003
990 Posts
Hey everyone. Sorry for not posting to my thread lately. Family, holidays, work, oh my!
I will try and get some new pictures of the progress. Still hasn't flown, needs covering next, and a new engine.
BeerBatter is offline Find More Posts by BeerBatter