HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 23, 2010, 09:17 PM
Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
1,916 Posts
Discussion
What foamie would you prefer?

Hey guys, while I get my small rc plane kitting company running, I wanted to start getting the new ideas for planes coming in. Ive already got the Mini-J and now I wanna go the entirly other way. 3D. Im not much of a 3D guy, so there will be much testing, between me, and maybe some of you. Id supply a few kits to some hardcore 3D pilots, and also some fairly new guys who have expirience with 4ch ailerons. The idea is something that will 3D wonderfully, and also beable to tone it down so its stable and easy to fly. My expirience with 3D foamies isnt too good, and as it should, to get better flying planes, your gonna be spending much more, which some people cant be doing right now.

Hes the idea:
Tell me what you want to see as a plane (yak, edge, extra or any other 3D machine. I would like to stay away from the pbf ideas)

The size you would want it. Do you want it as indoor, or parkflyer (it will enventually be sold in differnet sizes)

Power package. Would you want it to be run on 2 cells or 3?

What ever else you want. The idea is to take my ideas I have, and combine them with you guys, to see what you want. What I may want might be totally different from what you might want.

Thanks, HG
hot glue is offline Find More Posts by hot glue
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2010, 09:35 PM
USA, OK, Fort Gibson
Joined Jul 2009
120 Posts
i like yaks myself.I am limited to outdoor flight so i have to stick with wingspans 24" and up. Also i would like to see the planes made for a 3 cell. Oh what about bipes. A tensor 4D would be a nice option.
nkdurrett is offline Find More Posts by nkdurrett
Old May 23, 2010, 11:04 PM
Flanker Fan
Joined Dec 2008
212 Posts
Parkflyer, running on 3S with a BP 21 and 18A ESC being fed by a 3s 1300.

High-wing, much like a Decathlon, with limited self-righting tendencies and the ability to do mild 3D with rates cranked all the way up (think Hangar 9's Tango). Full fuse would also be nice.

There are fewer planes like that than the ubiquitous mid-wing 3D aerobats.

Just my two cents,
yellow13
yellow13 is offline Find More Posts by yellow13
Old May 24, 2010, 07:56 AM
illinois
Joined Jun 2001
595 Posts
What's a Mini-J ?
wim5150 is offline Find More Posts by wim5150
Old May 24, 2010, 06:27 PM
Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
1,916 Posts
Its a combat flying wing that I designed.

Thanks for the ideas. I think Im gonna do a Yak first around 30-35 inches, and when that is done, Im gonna attemp a Full Fuse Decathlon, or maybe a citabria.
Old May 25, 2010, 10:36 PM
Joined May 2007
556 Posts
I'd like to see a 32" Katana, personally.

-Kevin
3D-Flyer Kevin is offline Find More Posts by 3D-Flyer Kevin
Old May 25, 2010, 10:48 PM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
I'd love to see something 36"-40" that would 3D but tame down enough with the proper power setup to scale-fly. Yak or Extra type.Bipes also speak to me!
EZglider is offline Find More Posts by EZglider
Old May 26, 2010, 09:35 AM
ST.LOUIS
Joined Aug 2006
1,999 Posts
I loved this plane. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=880327

Included wood motor mount, carbon strip, little odds and ends. I'd buy more of this type if available for under $25.00 shipped.

Techone Hobbies makes em. I tried to work a deal with them, but they don't understand English. Now BP sells it here: http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...7&pid=D1078341

Little pricey now.

Just some input.
DRITCH is offline Find More Posts by DRITCH
Old May 26, 2010, 03:15 PM
Minnesota
Joined Jun 2007
1,916 Posts
Dritch that looks like a shaped fuse?

Would you be ok with it if it comes as flat foam, and all you would have to do is make the fuse? It would have ridges cut in it so it would bend right up and be 90 degrees. The idea is to cut these very fast (with a die cutter) and box them, ad in the motor mount, landing gear, ect and the manuel and ship. If that was the case it could go for cheap.
Old May 26, 2010, 04:08 PM
United States, WA, Yacolt
Joined Dec 2005
1,026 Posts
Seasoned Kit mfg. here, doing it on the micro level just for chump change, will give you some advice here.

Material costs are the first thing to be tackling, if you use the normal routes, or go retail, you end up sitting on top of a ton of inventory for quite some time. Labor costs, forget about it being cost effective, between the developing to the production, it takes more time and effort then most people realize, not even going to talk about the marketing element, which you are competing with big box, huge overhead, China for the most part.

You don't get into this to get rich, not even to make a living, you do it for the love of modeling and sharing your designs with others that don't have scratch building skills.

I do think it's a good thing, as long as all that who are aware of what they are getting into, are forging new ground and ac cumulatively taking back the market, per say, home grown kits which died out for the most part. As time moves forward, hopefully our raw suppliers will be able to buy in larger volume and extend their discounts onto us.
saucerguy is offline Find More Posts by saucerguy
Old May 27, 2010, 09:52 AM
ST.LOUIS
Joined Aug 2006
1,999 Posts
It came with the fuse assembled. The fuse was not really "shaped", more bent a little here and there and squeezed together at the Turtle. They did get it pretty straight though.

I think all the tiny precise cuts to form up a fuse with interlocking parts that can be assembled and then dribbled with CA is a real selling point. That and a low price since it's just a foamie. Some would agree that a really fast assembling fuse that builds straight on it's own migh make em buy one.

As for the other questions, I think the 2-3 cells would be a personal choice. I flew that bipe on a 1500 BW and small 3 cell. My FB flew it on a larger outrunner and much larger battery. Both flew outside his just flew a bit faster and would take more wind. Mine would get alot lower and slower.

I'd like to see some mini's too. Maybe 24in and under high wing racer's for the really windy day's or to feed the need for speed.

Good luck

p.s. Drop me a pm if ya want my address to test anything.
DRITCH is offline Find More Posts by DRITCH