HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:00 PM
Retired Old Guy
United States, IL, New Lenox
Joined Jan 2012
610 Posts
I got it right. In training mode with -11, 0, +11 curve the 500 came down WAY short of the target if I just let it come down at -11. When I did it again and auto it down I was able to put it right in the 10 ring of the target circle, and it was a nice landing. I went out of training mode and took the heli up to 120 ft, got it going to about 35 mph and hit the TH switch. Auto it right down to a less then perfect landing but one that would not have caused any damage to the heli.

I have learned a lot here. Thanks to those that have chipped in with suggestions. I appreciate the help.

RWW
whitehedr is offline Find More Posts by whitehedr
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:06 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,388 Posts
The autorotation training game in Phoenix is pretty hard, mostly because you don't set up the entry yourself. Try shooting autos in normal simulator mode. That way you can get the setup and airspeed how you want it. Then it sounds like you need to learn the flare part of the autorotation landing - put in some positive pitch to slow the descent, and pull back on the elevator to kill airspeed - tip it back to level just before touch down. I wish I had a good video of this... it's hard to explain, but watch the video below, there's a few pretty good autorotation landings - he's mostly using the serious wind to slow down though.

It does sound like your settings are not completely right... seems like it's only reading the throttle stick position and not using your curves - your radio should be sending TWO channels that are controlled by the throttle stick - currently the sim is only listening to one of those two channels, and it's using internal mapping for the other one. The setting for that is on the mapping screen, where it has the little slider bars that move with your sticks... on the right hand side of that, you can pick a radio channel for each function of the helicopter - either you have picked the same radio channel for throttle and pitch both, or you haven't mapped the pitch to a "real" channel. I wish we could take screen shots of it... anyway it sounds like you just need to go down to the pitch part of that screen and select the proper channel.

Tempest Heli (8 min 34 sec)
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:27 PM
Retired Old Guy
Joined Jan 2012
610 Posts
Jas,

I looked at what I think is the screen you are refering to: System>Your Controls> Edit profile and was presented with the screen showing the sliders and what channels they are mapped to. CaptJac originally helped me set this up and what I have is the throttle mapped to channel 1 and pitch mapped to channel 6. I am pretty sure what I have mapped is correct. The monitor function in the radio shows that pitch is called "AUX" It moves with the stick in a non linear fashion which is what I expect because of the curve I have programmed. The throttle channel moves at the same time as the AUX channel and follows what I have programmed for the throttle curve. I am not sure where to go next with this.

I do really appreciate the time you have invested helping me try and figure this out.

When I am practicing in training mode I am doing exactly like you suggested. Sometimes my timing is right on the money, sometimes not so much and I crunch it. It does work much better with a 3D pitch curve then with a Sport pitch curve. With the 3d curve I get 7 more degrees of negative pitch and that extra is really useful to get it on the target. It is impossible for me to make a good auto and get it on the target with the sport curve in place. I always end up long.

RWW

ps. you hear any scuttlebut on why HF is donw to the DNS name?
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:17 AM
Retired Old Guy
Joined Jan 2012
610 Posts
Hooray, I was successful with several autos from sim mode. Now that I have that figured out it is back to circles. My left turns and circles are working nicely. Turns and circles to the right however are a different matter. When flying a real airplane that handy little gadget called a trim wheel is available to the pilot. Roll into the turn establish the correct back pressure and rudder, trim out the back pressure and you can go round and round 'til you run out of fuel. Either way works the same. Not so easy when you are sitting in front of a monitor or standing in a field. The trim wheel is not available. Makes it a whole lot harder. My turns to the right are either a death spiral or the heli looks like a porpoise as it goes around. I will get it eventually, with more practice.

Any how I did execute several successful autos with out the crunch. Crunched a few as well, but that is why we have this wonderful piece of software called a simulator.

RWW
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:57 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,991 Posts
Flight school operations -

Further delay due to I'm having too much fun flying - at least that is one reason. The other reason is I am still licking my wounds from the flight school being closed down on the HF forum. Long story - I'd rather just let it rest in peace instead of exhuming the body. Comments like I was using the school to market my book and I was not qualified to teach because of my negative pitch philosophy certainly helped to dig the grave. When the owner posted "He thinks he is going to fill you guys full of BS" was the last shovel full. I don't need that kind of negative world in my world.

I still haven't decided to resume operations here in Florida. Weather here is pretty amazing and want to take advantage of it. I get back home it will the end of flying weather for another 8 months.

captJac
CaptJac is offline Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:27 PM
Retired Old Guy
Joined Jan 2012
610 Posts
What a terrible turn of events. I am at the level of my learning because of the wonderful start I got from You. Your expertise and leadership and teaching ability are what got me here. I am flying circuits, hovering nose in, land where I want to land, learning autos, all because of the start I got from your skill and guidance.

I do hope that you will be able to continue with the Flight School. There are lots of people out there that still need your help.

Have fun flying while you are in Florida. The only place that might be better is Arizona.

RWW
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:41 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJac View Post
Further delay due to I'm having too much fun flying - at least that is one reason. The other reason is I am still licking my wounds from the flight school being closed down on the HF forum. Long story - I'd rather just let it rest in peace instead of exhuming the body. Comments like I was using the school to market my book and I was not qualified to teach because of my negative pitch philosophy certainly helped to dig the grave. When the owner posted "He thinks he is going to fill you guys full of BS" was the last shovel full. I don't need that kind of negative world in my world.

I still haven't decided to resume operations here in Florida. Weather here is pretty amazing and want to take advantage of it. I get back home it will the end of flying weather for another 8 months.

captJac
Some people just can't see the forest for the trees. I've always disagreed with some of your setup suggestions but that doesn't mean we can't be friends and it doesn't negate all the good you've done in the world. Some people have trouble with that kind of thing - nobody's perfect, but everyone wants you to be. You aren't making any money off the book so I don't understand the accusations of conflict of interest. Very strange...

(btw, Finless Bob doesn't own Helifreak)
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:12 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
(btw, Finless Bob doesn't own Helifreak)
I've always had the greatest respect for Finless Bob and the work he has done. I know all too well who the owner is - and I have anything but respect for him. Trying to protect his profit making machine has convinced him everyone else is trying to profit from the hobby.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:23 AM
Joined Sep 2012
3 Posts
Are you still taking on students? I have the latest phoenix 4.0j i think with a devo 7 connected through my mic using ppjoy. Works great but my piloting stinks. I have been making progress hovering in different orientation but still overall just terrible. Not to sure on what i should be doing to practice or really hone my skills. Thanks.
RcHeli42O is offline Find More Posts by RcHeli42O
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:02 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RcHeli42O View Post
Are you still taking on students? I have the latest phoenix 4.0j i think with a devo 7 connected through my mic using ppjoy. Works great but my piloting stinks. I have been making progress hovering in different orientation but still overall just terrible. Not to sure on what i should be doing to practice or really hone my skills. Thanks.
Check your msg box for the info sheet.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:39 PM
Joined Sep 2012
3 Posts
have a question with the phoenix sim. I've calibrated my sticks a bunch of times and my controls are as they should be but i notice sometimes even if my sticks are centered they won't show centered values in the controller settings or on the visual transmitter. For example say i move forward and re-center the cyclic instead of going back to dead center it will be slightly to high or too low. Just enough to throw my balance off until i recorrect it. I know this is what i have to do anyway but the sim makes it more difficult by not virtually recentering my sticks.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:42 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,388 Posts
Quote:
have a question with the phoenix sim. I've calibrated my sticks a bunch of times and my controls are as they should be but i notice sometimes even if my sticks are centered they won't show centered values in the controller settings or on the visual transmitter. For example say i move forward and re-center the cyclic instead of going back to dead center it will be slightly to high or too low. Just enough to throw my balance off until i recorrect it. I know this is what i have to do anyway but the sim makes it more difficult by not virtually recentering my sticks.
Springs in the radio too loose, or poor quality centering mechanism - both issues are common on the DX6i. Tighten the springs is all you can do.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:11 PM
Joined Sep 2012
3 Posts
i have the devo 7 but i will see what i can do
Old Sep 26, 2012, 03:53 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,388 Posts
Quote:
i have the devo 7 but i will see what i can do
BTW, I have this same "issue" with my DX7 - I don't consider it an issue really, the little wiggles should be small enough that they don't cause any output on the aircraft itself.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:02 PM
Joined Sep 2012
24 Posts
Was wondering if anyone can help me? I am toying with having the rudder/tail and throttle on the same stick? Is this uncommon and should I avoid trying to learn helis this way??
Lukinross is offline Find More Posts by Lukinross