HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 06, 2012, 12:45 PM
Nemo in a blender
The Netherlands-Amsterdam
Joined Mar 2007
940 Posts
Today I got the well known "Connection break down" error on the 208B that has served me for 3 months.

Does anyone know what component needs to be replaced?
I'm used to soldering tiny things,so prefer to do it myself than sending the unit back to HK.

And while I have the case opened,are there any mods I can do to improve this little but impressive charger?

Thanks in advance!
Connexxion is offline Find More Posts by Connexxion
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2012, 01:49 PM
Berkeley, CA
Joined Oct 2004
1,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
You can send it back to Junsi, just contact them below for the details. No one in the USA repairs them. The shipping cost isn't really all that expensive.
From the first post in this thread:
if you have any questions, please contact with harrief111@hotmail.com directly.
You can also contact with sales@hillrc.com and service@hillrc.com directly.
Thanks guys for the help. I sent it to Dale at epbuddy.com with $20, I got a new replacement unit + some free AB clips yesterday. Junsi also PM asked for the problem of the charger. Great customer service!

I did search RCG for "repair", didn't get much US repair info. Google "icharger", came up with epbuddy.com, make a phone call and they take of it.
estarter is offline Find More Posts by estarter
Old Mar 06, 2012, 02:18 PM
Poland
Joined Nov 2010
462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connexxion View Post
Today I got the well known "Connection break down" error on the 208B that has served me for 3 months.
You should also inspect other side of the PCB.
Look for cracks on FET cases.
LeszekJ is offline Find More Posts by LeszekJ
Old Mar 07, 2012, 01:44 AM
Florence Italy
Joined Dec 2009
781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by junsi View Post
You can try to fix the problem according to the following post:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=11899

Junsi
I have try to search these componens but i not see,,,, however i have try to change the irf3205 bourned but after the change of the mosfet when i have try to put 12v input i have see that the display turn on but without number or letter only green light.I have see that the power supply idicates too much current over 5A without no action....
The componed changed it's hot....and after 5 sec i must turn off power supply!
I think that the problem isn't the over voltage of 19v instead 18v but of a internal problem of reliability..
magrinsi is offline Find More Posts by magrinsi
Old Mar 07, 2012, 04:26 AM
Nemo in a blender
Joined Mar 2007
940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeszekJ View Post
You should also inspect other side of the PCB.
Look for cracks on FET cases.
I lifted all six FETs but couldn't find any cracks.
One of them (U7) smells burnt but can't see any damage on the outside.
U1 and U3 smell too but can't tell if it's theirs or they just got it from their neighbour U7.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 09:37 AM
Poland
Joined Nov 2010
462 Posts
Quote:
One of them (U7) smells burnt but can't see any damage on the outside.
I would replace it. Check its gate control resistors (look for overheated spots and check resistance when the FET is disconnected).
Old Mar 07, 2012, 01:51 PM
Joined Sep 2010
552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourdan View Post
I charged again my LiFe Zippy pack 3S
Rapidly (~15 minutes) iC 3010B indicated at the end 3.6V 3.6V 3.6V
After ending and disconnecting, DMM indicates around 3.5V 3.5V 3.5V
Maybe the voltage is rapidly going down (even at no load) from 3.6V to 3.5V

Next time I will try to set LiFe termination at 3.65V

I have also in order some A123 2600 mAh (genuine with tabs) from HobbyKing, I will see, in 3 weeks, if there is a voltage difference.
Louis
LiFe post-charge voltage rapidly drops off over a few hours.

At first, I was surprised to find per cell voltages of 3.34 to 3.36V on packs charged the previous day. If you're used to LiPo, LiFe seem to act strangely.

During the charging process cell voltage reaches 3.6V, current tapers off until the charger terminates the charge cycle. Within an hour cell voltage falls off to below 3.4V. Cell voltage continues to fall over a day until they level off between 3.33 and 3.36V. After draining 80% of capacity, followed by an hour resting, time cell voltage is 3.19 to 3.22V. Resting open circuit voltage varies less between full charged and nearly drained than LiPo.

Unlike LiPo, storing them fully charged seems to be okay. The charger includes a LiFe storage mode, but it does almost nothing.
LizardMan is online now Find More Posts by LizardMan
Old Mar 07, 2012, 05:20 PM
Nemo in a blender
Joined Mar 2007
940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeszekJ View Post
I would replace it. Check its gate control resistors (look for overheated spots and check resistance when the FET is disconnected).
I contacted Junsi and was told to check D17 and R83.
Changed both parts (40V zenerdiode and a 1 Ohm res) but to no avail.

Where are these GCRs located?I'm pretty good at (de-)soldering but not familiar with th names of all these tiny components.A picture will do too.

Thanks for your help so far.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 12:41 AM
Joined Mar 2012
3 Posts
New icharger 106b+ out of box can't get to work

I just got my new icharger 106b+ in the mail today and I can't get it to work. When I power it up it beeps once and says "system check please wait..." then goes to the charge screen then every 10 seconds it beeps again and resets itself back to the "system check" screen. It just cycles through that. I can't get buttons to do anything. Does anyone have some advice for me? I read some posts and saw that you could hold down the stop button while powering it up so I tried it, but it only goes to a screen with black boxes accross it. I have no clue what to do. I waited 3 1/2 weeks to get the charger here and I'm a little frustrated with it.
lateral4 is offline Find More Posts by lateral4
Old Mar 08, 2012, 01:04 AM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by magrinsi View Post
I have try to search these componens but i not see,,,, however i have try to change the irf3205 bourned but after the change of the mosfet when i have try to put 12v input i have see that the display turn on but without number or letter only green light.I have see that the power supply idicates too much current over 5A without no action....
The componed changed it's hot....and after 5 sec i must turn off power supply!
I think that the problem isn't the over voltage of 19v instead 18v but of a internal problem of reliability..
Please check the PM we have sent to you, thanks.

Junsi
junsi is online now Find More Posts by junsi
Old Mar 08, 2012, 01:11 AM
iCharger
Joined Mar 2007
1,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lateral4 View Post
I just got my new icharger 106b+ in the mail today and I can't get it to work. When I power it up it beeps once and says "system check please wait..." then goes to the charge screen then every 10 seconds it beeps again and resets itself back to the "system check" screen. It just cycles through that. I can't get buttons to do anything. Does anyone have some advice for me? I read some posts and saw that you could hold down the stop button while powering it up so I tried it, but it only goes to a screen with black boxes accross it. I have no clue what to do. I waited 3 1/2 weeks to get the charger here and I'm a little frustrated with it.
Please try to upgrade it to the latest version V3.14, check if it can solve your problem.

Junsi
junsi is online now Find More Posts by junsi
Old Mar 08, 2012, 08:49 AM
Joined Mar 2012
3 Posts
I did not receive a PM.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 08:55 AM
Joined Mar 2012
3 Posts
When I power up the unit it is showing that I have v3.14 installed already.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 05:48 PM
Poland
Joined Nov 2010
462 Posts
Quote:
Where are these GCRs located?
Resistors connected directly to the lead nr 1 of IRF3205.
Old Mar 09, 2012, 01:41 PM
Nemo in a blender
Joined Mar 2007
940 Posts
LeszekJ,

I contacted Junsi and they told me to send the unit back.

Looks like there's more to change than only a resistor and zenerdiode...

Thanks for your help and time taken to explain things to me!