HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by sonicjet, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:34 PM
Registered User
United States, VA, Charlottesville
Joined Aug 2014
46 Posts
Ok- I'm looking to move up and advance, which gives me the option of moving to an EDF or going for 3D.

The factors that I need to keep in mind when making this decision is:

Cost to maintain
Spektrum compatible (Without any ad-ons i.e. anylink)

So what should I go for? I don't have unlimited funds or flying space (Being a 'kid') so keep that in mind also when helping me to decide.

Thanks for the help!
Julezwatts is offline Find More Posts by Julezwatts
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:50 PM
Tommy Toy the Crazy Boy
United States, AR, Jonesboro
Joined Mar 2013
406 Posts
You could get a Phase 3 EF-16 ($39 for frame only) EDF. You could fully outfit it for about $100. Or, you could get a Mini Contender ($79 for ARF) beginner 3D. You could outfit it for about $150.

I'm sure there are other options, but I really enjoy these two.
tmulligan is online now Find More Posts by tmulligan
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2014, 02:42 PM
Registered User
Torch8's Avatar
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,201 Posts
Rolls and Loops

Which of these micros would you recommend for general sports flying and easy rolls and loops not 3D? My background was flying UM T-28 and UM P-51D as3x.


UM F4U Corsair AS3X
UmX Pitts 1S As3x
UM T-28 Trojan
UM P-51D As3x
UMX Habu 180 as3x
UMX SBACH 3D AS3X
Night Vapor
UMX Radion as3x
Torch8 is offline Find More Posts by Torch8
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2014, 03:04 PM
Registered User
shastamike's Avatar
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch8 View Post
Which of these micros would you recommend for general sports flying and easy rolls and loops not 3D? My background was flying UM T-28 and UM P-51D as3x.


UM F4U Corsair AS3X
UmX Pitts 1S As3x
UM T-28 Trojan
UM P-51D As3x
UMX Habu 180 as3x
UMX SBACH 3D AS3X
Night Vapor
UMX Radion as3x
Only ones I can comment on are the Sbach and Radian. The Sbach is a great sports plane, can handle a little bit of breeze. Down side is the nose is very weak if crashing is a problem. I haven't flown the Radian but have seen it fly. Looked like a fun little plane but I believe it's purpose is to be a mini glider. It did loop and roll nicely. No landing gear though if you are landing on pavement.
Good luck with your new plane.
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2014, 03:08 PM
Registered Newbie
Joined Jul 2014
171 Posts
Of the Corsair, P-51 and Trojan, the Corsair rolls the best. Fun plane to fly.

I haven't flown the others on your list...
BlukeSky is online now Find More Posts by BlukeSky
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2014, 03:09 PM
Registered User
Torch8's Avatar
NYC
Joined Aug 2010
2,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shastamike View Post
Only ones I can comment on are the Sbach and Radian. The Sbach is a great sports plane, can handle a little bit of breeze. Down side is the nose is very weak if crashing is a problem. I haven't flown the Radian but have seen it fly. Looked like a fun little plane but I believe it's purpose is to be a mini glider. It did loop and roll nicely. No landing gear though if you are landing on pavement.
Good luck with your new plane.
Mike
Thanks Mike it seems the Sbach and Pitts are the sporty of the bunch. I like to slow fly so probably the UMX Pitts and it seems pretty durable.
Torch8 is offline Find More Posts by Torch8
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM
Registered User
shastamike's Avatar
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch8 View Post
Thanks Mike it seems the Sbach and Pitts are the sporty of the bunch. I like to slow fly so probably the UMX Pitts and it seems pretty durable.
I haven't seen the Pitts. I do own a UMX Beast and wouldn't call it durable at all. It is very fragile and being a bi-plane, repair is more complex. There is a forum for the UMX Pitts. You should ask those guys. The UMX guys are a lot of fun and very helpful.
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Should i get this plane as first one. brutenight22 Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 12 Sep 24, 2010 05:49 PM
What motor should I get for this sailplane? AllThumbs Electric Sailplanes 7 May 26, 2008 09:35 AM
SWAC 2006-How to make this event better than 2005 Thomas B The Southwestern Aeromodeling Conference (SWAC) 2005 60 Apr 19, 2007 11:26 PM
Maybe i should get myself a sail plane? helisfreak Flying Wings 79 Mar 10, 2005 05:41 AM
Why is this charger better than others? Dilemma!!! Magna Batteries and Chargers 3 Aug 11, 2004 09:49 AM