SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 10:43 AM
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Dec 2011
2,190 Posts
Tell me where Mark's ebay listing is!

I also got bored easily on some planes, like my EDF and F6F due to their lack of aerobatic capability. 6 mins of scale flying in each bird is my limit. Even though there are tons of good deals for larger warbirds (mostly FMS 1.4m to 1.7m in WS) in the classifieds section here, I am just not seeing myself adding new one to my warbirds fleet (5 flyable, 4 need to be built or minor repair). But since GWS is so easy to modify, I buy cheap power systems and test them out on my GWS. So it's like maiden a new planes every now and then. My current setup in my 190 is around 37oz in AUW @ 320W. I did a rolling circle at 4 mistake height and she quickly fell to two mistake height. So I am thinking about increasing throws on tails and setting high rate up. I also think the overall proportion (WS to total length, nose to wing root to the end of the rudder) on Spit and 190 are very similar to modern aerobatic planes like Extra and Edge, those contribute to the good flight characteristics in them. Anyway, once I got bored on my GWS and 3D planes, I sure will give DLG a try!
Vince_TT is online now Find More Posts by Vince_TT
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2012, 01:03 PM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,005 Posts
Marks got nothing on ebay at the moment lol, but probably will have b4 long!
The downside of dlg is the expense but I got mine off Mark lol, he bought is new and with servos cost £380, sold it to me for £220 about 2 weeks later lol, then about 2 week later he bought another new one !!!????!?!?
Not sure what I'll do if get bored with dlg though-might have to have a go at the real thing!
dlg sure take up your time though, an hour goes by in no time at all, good job the battery last only 1hr30mins or I would be there all day when weather is right! Oh I remembered now I have gone over to 1 cell lipos and I have 3 of them and they will probably last a couple of hours each thought not actually tried them in dlg, and I have a 2 cell lipo already and the servos to work directly from 2 cell lipo, and I have 2 more 2 cell lipos coming from hobby king which I ordered b4 realizing I could go one cell, my goodness when we get a nice day it's not the batteries that will stop me flying it will be my shoulder, I will not be popular with the missus!
nigelsheffield is offline Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Sep 06, 2012, 05:34 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,005 Posts
Well I got the fw190 all put together and retracts works off separate 5v to rx etc, painted it again so it looks nice.
Went down field this morn seeing as grass was cut yesterday and their was no wind at 7am but the grass is just too long and the ground is too rough, just kept nosing over every time I throttled up, got it going once and thought I was gonna get it off the ground and then bang-over she went hard bending motor mount which I managed to streighten but decided that untill the field get sorted there is no point trying so back on display for the butcher bird till someone lese get the contract for cutting the field!
I came home and got out my little hand launched spitfire and took that down though and had a couple of good 8 min flights with it b4 I had to get home to get little one ready for school.
Then took asw28 down for a fly but by then the wind was coming strong over the houses and all I could do was point into the wind and even then was flying backwards with power on so back home to take dog out for a walk-at least he's not bothered if it's windy or the grass is too long lol!
Old Sep 06, 2012, 07:13 AM
Joined Dec 2011
2,190 Posts
At least you got many alternatives to keep you busy! I hand launched my 190 once but that was scary.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 07:50 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,005 Posts
I used to hand launch my fw190 but that was b4 put retracts and flaps, so it's a lot heavier now.
And it quite scary to hand launch b4, had to have a very good throw and a long level flight to build up speed b4 climbing out otherwise it would stall and spin down very quickly.
Mine is the epo version which is heavier then the eps version and hence the reason I put flaps and retracts on it-a lot easier and less scary but just no good if the grass is too long.
The replacement servo I have been waiting for has arrived this morning to fit in my newer blaster dlg so I will get that sorted when I get time and hope for some less windy days or at least for the wind to come up the hill instead of going down it all the time.
I did enjoy my sortie with the spitfire this morning though so maybe my obsession with dlg is waning a little bit but then again once I fly it in good conditions I will surely spend my spare time on that again.
Oh and by the way Mark has just told me that he has sold his 2 week old blaster dlg!!!!
I did not even know he was thinking about it!
That's the 3rd blaster he bought and sold now, why he dose not just keep one and wait till the weather changes I don't know. He's got a phoenix 2 meter powered glider now, nice and cheap and fairly tough and with flaps on it looks like it should perform pretty well.
Suns out now and it really nice out but wind is blowing like crazy-time for another walk with the dog me thinks lol.
Happy flying.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:40 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,005 Posts
Given up on the fw190 for now with field such a poor state, but got my hand launch spitfire going again after the motor stopped working, I found a wire brocken just as it goes into motor winding and managed to solder it.
Got my blaster flying now again and on one cell it's gonna last even longer than I thought, did 2 hours and only put back 130mah, that's out of a 1200mah battery, and the lowest voltage I tried the battery at was 3.85v and that worked flawlessly giving about 450mah so that in theory would be 7 hours and it might even still work down to 3.75v but I really dont think I will ever be likely to over 2 hours as that is plenty for my arm, unless of course I get into lots of nice thermals and stay up that way-at least I will never have to worry about a flat battery whilst I am thermaling.
I guess buying 3 batts for blaster was a slight overkill lmfao.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:02 AM
Joined Dec 2011
2,190 Posts
Two hours of flying? man, you are so lucky. All my planes were grounded in my garage during the weekend due to bad weather and family stuff. Maybe I should try micro heli in my basement....
Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:57 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,005 Posts
I got my esky lama v3 that I use now and then in my living room when I'm really bored and the winds/rain are too much but you can't really compare it to flying proper planes outside.
Most of the time this year has been terrible for flying, with maybe one day in 2 weeks being flyable at all and had about 3 ro 4 days where the winds were calm enough to really enjoy scale flying and search out thermals.
Sunday morning was the perfect conditions and the winds had just started to pick up a little bit and thermals were forming nicely when the footballers wanted to use their pitch so I had to stop just when I was finding some lift-came back 2 hours later when footballers had finished and winds were howling and really turbulant, had a couple of throws and nearly crashed so gave up-and the winds have not stopped since nor are they predicted to.
The weather in my opinion is the main down side of our hobby but I suppose it makes it all the more sweeter when we do get a nice day to fly.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:44 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Feb 2011
3,324 Posts
The FW190 is one tough lil' bird!
I crashed mine when I accidentally put a bad 1800mah lipo in it. It wound up ok, but when it took off, it failed and stalled at 8' up.

It came down in a stall; tip first and the entire wing popped off - taking the foam and anchor nut from the body with it. But that was ALL the damge to it!

It can really take a beating!

Mac
MaladroitFL is offline Find More Posts by MaladroitFL
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:52 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,176 Posts
EPO is really a great product for our planes. I have bounced, balled-up and generally abused my 48" EPO Hurricane much more than it would have survived had it been made in anyother material.

Glue it back, run almost boiling water over the wrinkles and go fly it again
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:11 PM
2 Cor 5.21
Tennessee
Joined Jul 2009
775 Posts
Wow. Four months from the last post 'til these last two. Where'd everybody go?

Jeff
JMAH is offline Find More Posts by JMAH
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:59 PM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,109 Posts
i still fly mine
chas650r is online now Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:18 AM
fvega
United States, VA, Newport News
Joined Jul 2007
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas650r View Post
i still fly mine
I am working on finishing the fw 190 and noted that the cowl is very lose over the nose, there is about a 1/4 inch gap all around, is that the same experience for others? I have done a couple of GWS planes and the cowls are always a good fit.
fvega is offline Find More Posts by fvega
Old Jan 22, 2013, 09:30 AM
chuck
santa barbara, CA
Joined May 2009
4,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fvega View Post
I am working on finishing the fw 190 and noted that the cowl is very lose over the nose, there is about a 1/4 inch gap all around, is that the same experience for others? I have done a couple of GWS planes and the cowls are always a good fit.
i dont remember mine being that loose but there was some space , i just put it all at the bottom so the area u can easily see at the top looks ok . cooling air exit

chuck.
chas650r is online now Find More Posts by chas650r
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:10 AM
Joined Dec 2011
2,190 Posts
Mine is a loosen fit as well, but after glassing inside of the cowl and it fits well.
I also shorten the cowl about .75" for a better scale look.

Agree to MaladroitFL, this one is a tough bird. I once hit the LVC while she was flying away over the trees, completely lost sight of her. I pulled all up elevator and hear a "thump". Later I found she hit the solar panels on my roof (one block away from the school yard I flew), and the only damage was exactly like MaladroitFL described.

After I started flying 3D, this bird is the only warbird I still fly today, because she is so graceful in the air and provides some relax flying.