HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2014, 08:29 AM
Long Island, NY
Joined Nov 2013
374 Posts
Question
Tail wag- but only when battery fresh (~1 minute)?

I've noticed that my Blade 450 has a bit of tail wag when I first take off and for about 45 seconds to 1 minute into the flight. Thereafter, it completely settles down and is well behaved. Is this because the battery is carrying a fresh charge? I have no other explanation...so I'd appreciate a knowledgeable person with some info educating me on this phenomena.

Thanks!

Frank
LawyerFrank is offline Find More Posts by LawyerFrank
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2014, 10:18 AM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Sep 2013
157 Posts
Maybe your gyro gain is just on the edge? With a fresh battery, your head speed is just a tad higher - and so is the tail rotor rpm. This higher tail rotor rpm would require a slightly smaller tail rotor pitch input, but the gyro is always giving the same command. It's a feedback loop, and due to the higher tail rotor rpm its gain is just a little too high.
I would reduce the gain setting by a percent or two and see what happens.
getsuyoubi is online now Find More Posts by getsuyoubi
Old Sep 14, 2014, 11:38 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,466 Posts
That behavior would be unusual on the Blade 450X. But, not on other Blade 450 models. They use an older gyro that can be sensitive to voltage.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Sep 14, 2014, 01:02 PM
Joined Aug 2003
597 Posts
also temp change .heli taking from indoors right outback for fast launch
can wag untill the gyro adjust to temp .try let heli set for 5or 10 mins so
gyro can adjust to temp first.
mdugas is offline Find More Posts by mdugas
Old Sep 14, 2014, 06:06 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Sep 2013
157 Posts
Is it a 450X, or a 450 3D? In any event, I would just reduce the gyro gain by a percent or two, and see what happens. That change is certainly small enough that it won't have any disastrous consequences if it's the wrong thing to do, while it should have some effect on that tail wag - for example, the tail will stop wagging earlier into the flight.
getsuyoubi is online now Find More Posts by getsuyoubi
Old Sep 15, 2014, 04:58 AM
Long Island, NY
Joined Nov 2013
374 Posts
It's a 450 3D. I dialed down the gyro a few percent and straightened the pushrod guides a bit since my fat mits knocked them a bit askew while carrying the bird. Seems better now.

Frank
LawyerFrank is offline Find More Posts by LawyerFrank