HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 08, 2014, 11:13 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2010
4,042 Posts
Help!
Swept landing gear?

Hey guys, currently figuring out a difficult landing gear dilema.

I have a project that is being converted from steel sprung wire LG, to carbon. It weighs approximately 8-10kg AUW and requires 50cc carbon fiber LG.

The first pair I ordered were about 5 degrees forward swept, Wich ended up being too close to cg. The current pair I have, have no sweep, and are far enough behind CG to work, however they are still ~10mm forward of the original wire gear, which worked very well.

Do any of you know of 50cc landing gear that have slight rearward sweep? I realize I could turn the first set around, but having the airfoil on the faired gear backwards would drive me up the wall!

Let me know if you know of any!

Thanks,
Justin
Jwmflying14 is online now Find More Posts by Jwmflying14
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2014, 05:00 AM
United States, OR, The Dalles
Joined Apr 2011
1,306 Posts
The only thing I can think of with swept back landing gear is the 50cc Reactor, but those are made of flat metal stock.
JeffinTD is offline Find More Posts by JeffinTD
Old Sep 09, 2014, 06:35 AM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,059 Posts
You raise a very good question as the trim of the wheel position is important for several reasons.

I trim the position with a wedge shim between the gear and plane. Very easy to make using a table saw.

Hint: when ripping the wedge, don't run the piece fully through the saw. Make it from a long enough piece to ensure plenty of holding area away from the blade while ripping the piece only far enough to produce the needed wedge and hold the position while shutting the saw off. Remove and make a cross cut to extract the needed length of wedge.

Only a few degrees of wedge is usually all that is needed.
AA5BY is online now Find More Posts by AA5BY
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red
Old Sep 11, 2014, 05:21 AM
United States, TX, Haltom City
Joined Mar 2013
497 Posts
JwmFlying, at the risk of asking the obvious, can you just turn the gear around and refile the airfoil? Then they wouldn't look like they were put on backwards by mistake . I have no idea what the gear looks like but it's the first thought that popped into my mind.
Martin5465 is offline Find More Posts by Martin5465