SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 19, 2014, 07:26 AM
cww
Joined Jan 2014
13 Posts
Question
CCS - No Data from Powerlab 8

New DPL8...
I switched to IE, downloaded and installed CCS software and USB driver...
driver is listed in device manager and it says it's working properly.

It is FUIM3 on a Windows 7 laptop.
Shows Com 4 open.
However, I can't get a connection...I'm sure I'm missing something simple.

Any advice, or should I contact Revo or Progessive?
cww is offline Find More Posts by cww
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2014, 11:14 AM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,175 Posts
Double check the connection to the charger. Its easy to get the servo connector reversed. There's a little "legend" on the top of the charger case above each port that shows the proper pinout.

You can also use the FUIM3 tester to verify communication with the FUIM3.

http://www.revolectrix.com/applicati...ster/setup.exe
Gregor99 is online now Find More Posts by Gregor99
Old Apr 20, 2014, 08:34 AM
cww
Joined Jan 2014
13 Posts
Connection to charger is correct.

FUIM3 tester says FAILED!

I tried different USB ports and different USB cable, no luck.

Also checked .net is 4.5.1...I assume newer than 3.5 is ok?
Last edited by cww; Apr 20, 2014 at 08:47 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 02:45 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,175 Posts
Newer versions of .NET are OK.

Take a look in Device Manager. Under Ports you should see "USB Serial Port (COM#)" . If you don't see the USB serial port listed, disconnect the FUIM from the computer and re-install the driver. Make sure the FUIM is not connected to the PC when installing the driver. Then reconnect the FUIM and see if the results are any different in device manager.

Once the device is listed in device manager, not the COM port number. In the tool manually select this COM port number. For the test to work, FUIM needs to be powered by the charger (plugged in).
Old Apr 20, 2014, 07:15 PM
cww
Joined Jan 2014
13 Posts
It is listed in device manager, when plugged in, and listed as com 4 which agrees with what CCS reports - com 4 open.

FUIM is plugged in to charger which is powered...

I guess I'll uninstall everything and try again, I'll also try it on my desktop computer tomorrow.

Thanks, Greg!
Old Apr 22, 2014, 07:43 AM
cww
Joined Jan 2014
13 Posts
Re-installed software, but FUIM tester still shows FAILED.

Does this mean there is a problem with FUIM3 device, or what?
Old Apr 22, 2014, 08:51 AM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,075 Posts
Tried and Works

For grins, I installed the USB tester and followed Greg's directions to see what would happen.

All worked well and my FUIM3 passed all the tests.

I grabbed an unused Macbook running Parallels VM and installed the driver. Then, I connected the USB end of the cable and verified that the driver installed.

After that, I connected my PL8 to provide power to the FUIM3 per instructions (although the USB Tester says that power is only necessary for the FUIM2 - nope - FUIM3 also appears to need power.) Then, I ran the Tester and it went through the sequence of baud rate tests; all passed.

Finally, ran CCS software and was able to look at PL8...

Either the SW was not installed properly (but, you seem to have attempted at least one clean install) or you have a bad FUIM3 board. My own personal experience indicates that the board is less likely to fail than for a mechanical connection error (two ends of the USB cable) or SW installation error. Have you tried re-seating the USB connectors?

BTW, I tried the USB connected via an unpowered USB 2.0 hub and it also worked fine; direct, powered hub, and unpowered hub all worked.

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by cww View Post
Re-installed software, but FUIM tester still shows FAILED.

Does this mean there is a problem with FUIM3 device, or what?
Snowflake6515 is offline Find More Posts by Snowflake6515
Old Apr 22, 2014, 09:00 AM
cww
Joined Jan 2014
13 Posts
I have checked the USB connection, even tried another cable, pretty sure all connections are ok.

I haven't tried the tester with it connected to the charger since I did the clean install, but it still won't connect to either channel of the DPL8.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 09:04 AM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,075 Posts
5 Volts Power?

If the FUIM3 is not connected to a charger (PL8 or DPL8), then I verified that mine also says "FAILED". The splash screen that comes up reminds one to connect 5 Volts to the FUIM3 pigtail, but claims only for the FUIM2, not the FUIM3. Somewhere else I read that it was needed for both and I can confirm that I also get FAILED unless connected to power; in this case an actual PL8.

The adapter appears to not draw power from the USB side, but rather from the charger side; no power, FAILED result.

Michael
Quote:
I have checked the USB connection, even tried another cable, pretty sure all connections are ok.

I haven't tried the tester with it connected to the charger since I did the clean install, but it still won't connect to either channel of the DPL8.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:15 AM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregor99 View Post
For the test to work, FUIM needs to be powered by the charger (plugged in).
As noted above and repeated by Snow, the FUIM must be powered by the charger. Internally the unit is opti-isolated to prevent ground loop as well as other issues between the charger and the PC. If cable of the FUIM is plugged in backwards at the charger, the FUIM will not receive power.

Since the FUIM appears to be seen correctly by the PC (looking at device manager), I suspect the issue is between the FUIM connection and the charger. I would double check the orientation of the servo connector at the charger port. Follow the legend above the port on the top of the charger.

If that is not the issue, you can try powering the other half of the FUIM with a 5v power supply. Some transmitters come with a wall wart that has 5v output (female). Or you can make your own. It must be 5v, not over. On the FUIM the servo connector, red is positive and black is negative.

If that doesn't work out, I'd contact Howard at FMA next.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:59 AM
cww
Joined Jan 2014
13 Posts
Tried on my desktop computer, same results.

I'm sure the connector is plugged in to the charger correctly...blackto the outside of the charger, red in the middle and, white to the inside of the charger.

I have a 4.8v nimh batt that I can try to power the FUIM with.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:04 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,075 Posts
Gnd-Pos-Sig on DPL8

I believe that you said you were trying to connect to a DPL8. I own two PL8 units and a DPL8. The USB orientation is exactly the opposite on the two devices.

Facing the top of the devices, with the rear of the devices away from you, you should see, reading left-to-right, GROUND | POSITIVE | SIGNAL on the left and right USB connections of a DPL8. Your description of "black to the outside" correctly applies to the LEFT half of a DPL8 and is incorrect for a PL8.

For the PL8, my label description reads: SIGNAL | POSITIVE | GROUND.

My FUIM3 has a white "signal" wire. It works on both halves of the DPL8 and each of the PL8; reversed left and right, obviously, to reflect the plug orientation.

If this does not work, then, by all means, as Greg recommended, reach out to Howard in tech services. Personally, I have found FMA/Revolectrix to be a very professional company that is anxious to keep your products working. Their customer service is outstanding, but what Greg and I are trying to do is cover some of the same steps that Howard will ask you to cover before authorizing a return.

If you only owned the DPL8, then my comment about the reversed USB / FUIM3 connector may not make sense. However, as I own both, I failed to RTFM and when it didn't connect, right away, then I read the label; a "doh" moment. :-)

Michael
Quote:
Tried on my desktop computer, same results.

I'm sure the connector is plugged in to the charger correctly...blackto the outside of the charger, red in the middle and, white to the inside of the charger.

I have a 4.8v nimh batt that I can try to power the FUIM with.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:28 PM
cww
Joined Jan 2014
13 Posts
Yes DPL8, and you are correct about my description only applying to channel one.

Looking at the front of the charger they are both labeled (G + S) LEFT TO RIGHT.

Neitherchannel will connect.

I removed the wires from the servo connector and the crimps look good. I wanted to check continuity from the wire ends to the board, but I'd have to cut the shrinkwrap...not ready to do that yet.

I have no doubt about FMA's customer service...like you and Greg, I'd like to be sure I've tried everything first.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:40 PM
cww
Joined Jan 2014
13 Posts
Hooked FUIM3 up to 4.8v battery and tester shows PASSED.

Hooked FUIM3 to charger now shows passed at 9600, failed at 19200 on both channels.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 12:56 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,075 Posts
Retracted Signal Pin?

One other thought is the possibility that the signal pin is partially retracted in the housing. You indicated, however, that you had pulled the pins, inspected the crimps, and reinserted them.

I have observed brand new, commercially fabricated, servo cables that were slightly misaligned such that insertion, rather than the male pin smoothly entering the female socket, actually pushes one side, or the other, out; i.e., the connector pin retracts slightly.

The result is an intermittent connection and I have seen intermittent failures caused by such a defect.

Visually, looking at the connector halves, all appears OK, but if there is any resistance, then the pin retracts rather than mates. Here, the problem is that one-half is not visible; i.e., resides in the DPL8.

I own three FUIM3 cables and all have worked perfectly from the start.

My only issues with the USB connection to a DPL8 were caused by a rather long, unterminated, servo connector wire; Greg warned against this possibility early in his postings. I have had zero problems since leaving the connection to the DPL8 alone, or using the FUIM3.

I think you may have to send either / both DPL8 and FUIM3 cable in if further debugging does not resolve the issue.

Michael
Quote:
Hooked FUIM3 up to 4.8v battery and tester shows PASSED.

Hooked FUIM3 to charger now shows passed at 9600, failed at 19200 on both channels.