HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 10, 2013, 09:20 PM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
6,496 Posts
Have you held the 14SG in your hands. It is a very nice product!
Robert Belluomini is offline Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2013, 09:24 PM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,991 Posts
No I have not, but my buddy just ordered it yesterday. I called tower today to see if they would sell me the transmitter only or maybe the transmitter with the 14ch receiver and ditch the 8ch. I don't want to mess around with the decoder or sbus, I just want to plug the servos into the rx and be done with it. They wouldn't do it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Belluomini View Post
Have you held the 14SG in your hands. It is a very nice product!
Tumbler is offline Find More Posts by Tumbler
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:17 PM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbler View Post
It really bothers me that they keep switching their technology and not making it compatible with previous versions. The new Futaba transmitters work with all the old receivers. I will probably switch for that reason alone. JR has switched things up like 4 or 5 times in recent years. To me that shows very little respect for the customer.

It's just evolution. DSMSS has been around awhile in Japan. They needed to make a change and seperate if they are truly divorcing spektrum. I would not say its better just different.

As far as the small plugs for the satellite rx's I put a drop of liquid electric tape between each wire with a toothpick, just a precaution since they do get plugged in and out every so often.

I thought about the switch last year but have been really happy with the 9503 and that prompted me to get a 12x.

The DSMX is really only for noisy environments and not a must. As far as your buddies loss what were the details? Rx, TX, how old, what configuration, did he use a logger etc? It's best to share the info if you point out a failure.
bri6672 is offline Find More Posts by bri6672
Old Apr 10, 2013, 11:32 PM
Joined Aug 2008
289 Posts
Unfortunately, nothing is 100%. So far, the JR 12x and the DSM2 system have been a pretty solid performer for me. All that may change tomorrow, or whenever I get back to the flying field.
Vantagepoint is offline Find More Posts by Vantagepoint
Old Apr 11, 2013, 05:17 AM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
Joined Dec 2000
6,496 Posts
"FASST" same protocol since day one. Now with "ExpandedSystemTelemetry".
Last edited by Robert Belluomini; Apr 11, 2013 at 05:50 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 05:25 AM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
Joined Dec 2000
6,496 Posts
Quote:
No I have not, but my buddy just ordered it yesterday. I called tower today to see if they would sell me the transmitter only or maybe the transmitter with the 14ch receiver and ditch the 8ch. I don't want to mess around with the decoder or sbus, I just want to plug the servos into the rx and be done with it. They wouldn't do it though.
If you need more than 8 channels which ill assume you do would one decoder do the job.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 07:08 AM
New Jersey
Joined Feb 2003
7,991 Posts
Yeah, exactly. Their newers transmitters can still use all the old receivers. That makes sense.

Regarding my buddy's crash. He has to be the most anal builder I have ever seen everything is taped, sip tied or velcroed. Everything mounted to fancy trays and looks like a show piece. He had a satellite in the nose, one under the canopy, and one in the wing. Yes he used a data logger. He had about 8 flights and then on its last flight it seemed like the trim kept changing and then it totally locked up. Has 254 flights on his other jet with the same radio. That's what scares me. Just seems to be no rhyme or reason for why people suddenly have problems with JR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Belluomini View Post
"FASST" same protocol since day one. Now with "ExpandedSystemTelemetry".
Tumbler is offline Find More Posts by Tumbler
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:01 AM
San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
2,236 Posts
Well just because it looked fancy doesn't assure it was right. The fact it happened After just 8 flights sounds more like a setup issue, if it happened after 50 solid flights that would be no rhyme or reason. If you decide to stay with jr I would call horizon and have them send you out an advanced setup guide. And if you go DSMX the setup data is different and you really need to check it in DSM2 before flying it in X.

You should just go Futaba, not because I think JR is bad, you have just lost confidence and that will take away from your hobby.
bri6672 is offline Find More Posts by bri6672
Old Apr 11, 2013, 11:31 AM
EDF Jet Jam May 2014
Joined Dec 2000
6,496 Posts
JR Radios have been using the "Spektrum" RF section in this country, the XG series radios have used the JR DMSS RF for over a year now, they were shown at Toledo last year but I don't think Horizon promoted that point for obvious reasons.

It will be interesting to see what comes out of this divorce.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 12:50 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,208 Posts
First off, putting the blame on JR "changing all the time" isnt correct. DSM2 and DSMX is a Spektrum/Horizon Hobby Product.

If you really have no faith in Spektrum DSM2 or DSMX and are contemplating switching to a FHSS system like Futaba FAST, i would suggest you look into JR's DMSS. Its the same technology style setup as FAST and has been around awhile in Japan.

Personally, i will NEVER return to a Futaba product as long as Great Planes is involved with them. I was screwed over enough by them when i was a dedicated Futaba user, JR and Horizon hobby have treatsd me right everytime i have had an issue, no matter how small it was.
invertmast is online now Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Apr 11, 2013, 01:01 PM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,208 Posts
Quote:
I have never had any problems with my JR radio either, however both my biddies have lost planes due to radio problems with JR in the past year. I don't know anyone personally that has had problems with Futaba. Futaba radios look like plastic toy radios thought which I don't like.
Oh come on now Brian, we all know people who have lost planes within the past year with XX brand.

If i kept track of all the crashes that goes on at my field by people who claim radio problems, they would all be chuck yeager, and the world would be out of paper. Lol

Most of the time it works out to be something less radio problem induced.

One had a BEC fail
Another had a rx powered by a 2s lipo have the regulator fail
Another had a 8711 servo jam and draw so much current it fried itself which shorted out the power wires and fried the extension and connectors all the way to the Rx which caused the battery voltage to drop below the operating voltage, it didnt help that he was using a Nicad pack

I mean the root cause could be anything not directly related to the Radio. Have any new cell phone towers gone up near the flying field? Any satellite dishes, new building?

At the end of the day it comes down to what you feel comfortable with, but no system is completely bullet proof in the RF world and futaba probably has its pitfalls as well.
invertmast is online now Find More Posts by invertmast