HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:52 PM
Peru, Lima
Joined Apr 2010
60 Posts
Thanks Stratigio.
Red looks great and it is good to see at a distance against a bright sky. Coverite Microlite is very light, strong and looks very neat. You do have to be very gentle and careful once you peel the backing off because it likes to self stick and it is tricky to un stick it. It is OK once you get the hang of it.

Ricardo
Peruvian is offline Find More Posts by Peruvian
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:09 AM
Giorgos Stratakis
Athens Greece
Joined Jun 2008
260 Posts
You forgot to mention how easily it can be punctured with almost every sharp edge. I have some stocked from previous builds and most of it is red, so the decision has been made.
Stratigio is offline Find More Posts by Stratigio
Old Dec 01, 2012, 07:39 AM
Peru, Lima
Joined Apr 2010
60 Posts
I haven't had that experience yet Stratigio. It looks quite tough when tightened though...
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:29 AM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
2,717 Posts
The Zephyr looks great. I have no issue with your changes. Once you buy the kit you are free to do as you wish. It looks beautiful and should fly well too. Have fun with it.

Mark
Mark Miller is offline Find More Posts by Mark Miller
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:19 PM
Peru, Lima
Joined Apr 2010
60 Posts
Thanks Mark!
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:37 PM
Peru, Lima
Joined Apr 2010
60 Posts
Finally I maidened the Zephyr II. I went alone so unfortunately no photos. The soccer field I chose was being springled so I had to use a smaller grassy patch nearby, near the beach (therefore no thermals). There was a light breeze from the sea. A light toss into the wind to check showed it glided straight and level and on for miles... well, not really but you get the idea. No trims were necessary! Next throw was harder and it gained altitude and I managed to guide it around a circle and catch it at the end (I have practiced with a Radian). So I kept throwing harder each time and, despite no thermals, the circles became larger and flights seemed to be longer. Sometimes I caught it and sometimes it would land gracefully. Sometimes I even managed to make two full circles. I never launched it as hard as I could for fear I would brake something (both in the plane and in myself), but I guess I will overcome that eventually. I had about half an hour of great fun and enjoyment. Mark is so right, it is a lot of fun.
Now everything hurts, my right arm, right shoulder, right side, back, left hip, etc., but there is a grin in my face...
Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:57 PM
San Diego area
Joined Jul 2006
530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
Finally I maidened the Zephyr II. Mark is so right, it is a lot of fun.
Now everything hurts, my right arm, right shoulder, right side, back, left hip, etc., but there is a grin in my face...
Richardo:

Congratulations on the successful maiden of your very nice looking Zephyr II.

If your beach has some small walls near by, maybe you could ridge soar the little bird. It doesn't take much lift to make her soar.

Craig
craigrrr is offline Find More Posts by craigrrr
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:35 AM
Peru, Lima
Joined Apr 2010
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigrrr View Post
Richardo:

Congratulations on the successful maiden of your very nice looking Zephyr II.

If your beach has some small walls near by, maybe you could ridge soar the little bird. It doesn't take much lift to make her soar.

Craig
Thanks Craig.
What a good idea! Actually there is a wall, about 3m. high, surrounding the whole place. The wall, facing the beach where I fly, is about 100m. long. The thing is , do I have to fly in front of the wall (towards the beach), or will there be lift also behind the wall so I can allways turn back and land if I loose altitude, because if the plane falls towards the beach I will have problems retrieving it. The gate is always closed and there is a road that runs parallel to the wall. It would take ages to go around the premises and out to the beach or to get the gate opened.
Now I am all worked up thinking about the wall. I will have to go and have a look.

Ricardo
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:33 AM
Joined Mar 2008
633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigrrr View Post
pics, please!
Cap_n_Dave is offline Find More Posts by Cap_n_Dave
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:21 PM
San Diego area
Joined Jul 2006
530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
Thanks Craig.
What a good idea! Actually there is a wall, about 3m. high, surrounding the whole place. The wall, facing the beach where I fly, is about 100m. long. The thing is , do I have to fly in front of the wall (towards the beach), or will there be lift also behind the wall so I can allways turn back and land if I loose altitude, because if the plane falls towards the beach I will have problems retrieving it. The gate is always closed and there is a road that runs parallel to the wall. It would take ages to go around the premises and out to the beach or to get the gate opened.
Now I am all worked up thinking about the wall. I will have to go and have a look.

Ricardo
Hi, Ricardo:

Yes, the lift will only exist in front of the wall (toward the beach). Just behind the wall it will be neutral, further back from the wall it will quickly turn to sink.

It may not be a good idea to fly there if you lack access to the beach side of the wall. Retreival there is very likely from time to time.

Craig
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:12 PM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
2,717 Posts
See Post #24 for pics
Mark Miller is offline Find More Posts by Mark Miller
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:58 PM
Joined Mar 2008
633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Miller View Post
See Post #24 for pics
Sorry.

I meant to say, if he flies it on a small ridge/wall/roof, he should take some pics.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:47 PM
Giorgos Stratakis
Athens Greece
Joined Jun 2008
260 Posts
Finished my Zephyr today.

Lot's of red as promised.
Stratigio is offline Find More Posts by Stratigio
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:53 PM
Joined Mar 2008
633 Posts
Nice.

Is that the stock front end (of the fuselage)?
Old Jan 14, 2013, 04:10 PM
San Diego area
Joined Jul 2006
530 Posts
What a beauty

I mistakenly addressed this to Ricardo, thinking that he refinished his plane.
My response should have been to Giorgos.

Lot's of red as promised.[/QUOTE]

Giorgos:

This plane is a very creative WORK OF ART.

This bird is unique.

I was thinking also that the Zephyr II has a very beautifully shaped fuselage; you have made it elegant.

Craig
Last edited by craigrrr; Jan 14, 2013 at 04:17 PM. Reason: My response was meant to be to Giorgos, not Ricardo