SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:03 AM
Joined Jan 2005
46 Posts
Discussion
Eclipse7 2.4GHz Conversion Range Problem

I have an older Eclipse7 72MHz radio that I have used on aircraft for years. Recently I purchased an SRX Pro 3 Channel surface radio for a sailboat. This radio has a 2.4GHz Spectra Module.

When I put the new 2.4GHz Spectra Module in my Eclipse, it seems to work okay at close range, but when I attempt to use it with my boat it seems as if I am having range issues. When I get more than about 30' or so away I get glitches and chatter in the channels. The rudder would twitch at almost regular intervals.
When I switch back to the other TX, the problems go away.

Now when I switched the Spectra module into the Eclipse, I did not bind the RX from scratch again. I assumed that was a one time thing with the Spectra module. Maybe that is causing the problems?

Has anyone else experienced this? I will try and re-bind the radio and see if that eliminates the problem.

Thanks in advance for any help.

** Edit **
I am going to order a Spectra 2.4GHz Spectra Conversion Module from Hitec that is stated to work with older radios. My guess is that the Spectra modules are not all interchangeable. I know the antenna mounting system on the conversion modules is designed to fit into the old antenna location (which I unscrewed when I inserted new module). Maybe that will work better with my older radio.
u2fletch is online now Find More Posts by u2fletch
Last edited by u2fletch; Nov 12, 2012 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Additional Info
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:00 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Eclipse 7 - 2.4GHz Conmversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2fletch View Post
I have an older Eclipse7 72MHz radio that I have used on aircraft for years. Recently I purchased an SRX Pro 3 Channel surface radio for a sailboat. This radio has a 2.4GHz Spectra Module.
When I put the new 2.4GHz Spectra Module in my Eclipse, it seems to work okay at close range, but when I attempt to use it with my boat it seems as if I am having range issues. When I get more than about 30' or so away I get glitches and chatter in the channels. The rudder would twitch at almost regular intervals.
When I switch back to the other TX, the problems go away.
Now when I switched the Spectra module into the Eclipse, I did not bind the RX from scratch again. I assumed that was a one time thing with the Spectra module. Maybe that is causing the problems?
Has anyone else experienced this? I will try and re-bind the radio and see if that eliminates the problem.
Thanks in advance for any help.
** Edit **
I am going to order a Spectra 2.4GHz Spectra Conversion Module from Hitec that is stated to work with older radios. My guess is that the Spectra modules are not all interchangeable. I know the antenna mounting system on the conversion modules is designed to fit into the old antenna location (which I unscrewed when I inserted new module). Maybe that will work better with my older radio.
Two different types of 2.4Ghz Spectra Modules - Air & Surface, an Eclipse 7 requires the full range system:
. 2.4GHz Aircraft Receivers & Modules
Do not use that from the RC Car & Truck systems which are:
. Spectra 2.4GHz DSSS Module #28724 - not for use with Optima RX / aircraft
. Spectra 2.4GHz DSSS Module and Atom 3 RX Manual - for Surface use only.

More information available under:
Hitec Eclipse 7 & 7 Pro FAQ - Quick Setup and Additional Programming
and
Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
AFHSS Spectra Modules, Optima Transceivers, Minima Receivers
& Telemetry
- FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links (quick search = Ctrl+F)
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Last edited by A.T.; Nov 12, 2012 at 11:55 PM. Reason: correct #28724 url
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:08 PM
Joined Jan 2005
46 Posts
Got my new Spectra module and 2 new Optima RX. Works beautifully.
u2fletch is online now Find More Posts by u2fletch