HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:01 PM
Joined Jan 2011
33 Posts
Discussion
Flying on the Wasserkuppe

Here's a little video-report about my pilgrimage to the place where (slope-) soaring started: The Wasserkuppe in Germany.

fliegen auf der wasserkuppe 2012 (3 min 51 sec)
Flymax12 is offline Find More Posts by Flymax12
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:43 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,933 Posts
Enjoyed that !

Chris
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:39 PM
Rusty
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
884 Posts
The day I was there it was blowing so hard only the large scale models were flying!
Interesting to see the jettisoned undercarriage. My father had an early Schleicher Ka6 like that, made just down the road at Poppenhausen, and it was important not to release too early or it could bounce up and hit the glider or be damaged if too high. Also no easy ground maneuvering if you landed elsewhere.
I think there is a road intersecting that paved runway?
Rusty Nail is online now Find More Posts by Rusty Nail
Old Oct 31, 2012, 12:44 PM
Joined Jan 2011
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Nail View Post
I think there is a road intersecting that paved runway?
The road is right behind te camera. The runway is on one side of the road, but they made an extension on the other side to accomodate the taxiiing planes. The hangars are on the other side of the road. At the end of the day the gliders also land on the side nearer to the hangars.

Do you know whether the jettisonable undercarriage on your dad's K6 was original or retrofitted? Must have indeed been an early one because they switched to the BR (R=rad=wheel) version.
Max
Flymax12 is offline Find More Posts by Flymax12