SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:33 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterock View Post
Isn't it crazy to think the whole rig flying is half the price of a gopro3 black. Very nice setup. Can't wait for some great 120fps tricopter footage.
H
yeah it's nuts. but I broke almost even in terms of $$ because I sold my hero1 and hero2 to get the hero3. So far the battery life is amazingly disappointing but the image quality is unbelievable. I'm quite impressed.

120fps or even 60fps is not that great unless you actually crash (!!) and then slow it down. Otherwise any site like youtube will convert it to 30fps anyway so shooting in the 2.7k mode seems to be the best option because the quality is so high. I use 60/120 when not in the air though so I can slow stuff down. 120 is really really nice.
rocketscience is offline Find More Posts by rocketscience
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2012, 02:28 AM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,279 Posts
Well my servo stripped out. Was flying in the dome and it started spinning. Went about 1.5 revolutions and I was able to put it down. Heard the servo buzzing but the arm was spinning freely. I read the reviews saying the splines strip, looks like the case.

I think I should have gone with the 922 or a different servo. Wish I could repair it.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:54 AM
Fly, crash, rebuild.
United States, NY, Shelter Island
Joined May 2011
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketscience View Post
Well my servo stripped out. Was flying in the dome and it started spinning. Went about 1.5 revolutions and I was able to put it down. Heard the servo buzzing but the arm was spinning freely. I read the reviews saying the splines strip, looks like the case.

I think I should have gone with the 922 or a different servo. Wish I could repair it.
I'm flying the 922 and have a 306 in reserve. Did it strip out without crashing? That's disappointing. What servo where you using?
H
shelterock is offline Find More Posts by shelterock
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:23 AM
Speed is Good!
Chippenham, Wilts
Joined Oct 2005
567 Posts
Maidened mine today after a quick check in the garden. Absolutely a great bit of kit and with the KK2.0 v1.4 self level is perfect. I did reduce the settings to 80 from 100 as it snapped level too quickly for my liking! The gopro footage isn't bad considering I just used some small rubber washers on the Gopro mount board. The only things I really have to do is sort out the tail servo setip already discussed and get some decent props although the Gemfams from HK were reasonable.

Think I will try 1047 or 1147 props next time out and angle the gopro down to avoid seeing the props!

vid to follow
rumbey is offline Find More Posts by rumbey
Last edited by rumbey; Nov 17, 2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:03 AM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelterock View Post
I'm flying the 922 and have a 306 in reserve. Did it strip out without crashing? That's disappointing. What servo where you using?
H
Yep it was the 306. Sorry should have mentioned that to help others. No crash. I have yet to look inside the servo or inspect the frame, was too tired last night. I think the frame is fine it was more a firm landing but I'm pretty sure the servo splines stripped.

I suppose I could take another 306 from my 450 or even a 922 for now... do NOT use the 306. Would hate for anyone to crash their expensive talon because of the tail servo.

I will go through some of the gears I have and see of any might fit.

Does the tail really need to be that fast? It's not like a heli where the tail rotor acts directly laterally. I wouldn't even mind a mini-sized servo since I have a couple of those lying around that are 0.07s but might be way too heavy plus I'd have to modify the tray. ugh.

this servo actually looks really nice. plastic looks like good quality.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:37 AM
Speed is Good!
Chippenham, Wilts
Joined Oct 2005
567 Posts
Bit of jello so need to look into improving this.

Turnigy Talon Tricopter Maiden Flight (6 min 2 sec)
Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:08 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbey View Post
Bit of jello so need to look into improving this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYk1G...=youtube_gdata
Did you put anything between the gopro and the frame? some rubber or foam?

I think our talon needs something like this to firm up the platform

Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:45 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,279 Posts
It was the output shaft. It just sheared. I have another one on a flybar'd 450 but once I test that other servo I will probably order a replacement. Just don't trust these anymore. Oh on another note.. when I landed hard one of the other motor mounts had twisted on the boom. I had never installed the grub screw into the motor mount. Maybe that's a good thing? In a crash then the soft metal has less chance of bending?

Last edited by rocketscience; Nov 17, 2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:21 AM
Speed is Good!
Chippenham, Wilts
Joined Oct 2005
567 Posts
Quote:
Did you put anything between the gopro and the frame? some rubber or foam?

I think our talon needs something like this to firm up the platform

There are 4 small rubber washers between camera mount and main frame body.

I will be using some moongel when it arrives or some foam from the KK2 packing.

The gopro was mounted directly on the carbon frame with 2 elastic bands as I left the peice of rubber mat at home that I planned to sit the gopro on.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:20 AM
If it flies, I can crash it!
Naperville, IL
Joined Aug 2010
1,154 Posts
Quote:

I've had a HiTec 225MG servo on the tail of my first T-Copter for over 2 years. It's survived several crashes, prop strikes on various objects, and never stripped. It's still working perfectly. They cost around $26.

Doug
djdavid60 is online now Find More Posts by djdavid60
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:25 AM
Naperville, IL
Joined Aug 2010
1,154 Posts
Quote:
yeah it's nuts. but I broke almost even in terms of $$ because I sold my hero1 and hero2 to get the hero3. So far the battery life is amazingly disappointing but the image quality is unbelievable. I'm quite impressed.

120fps or even 60fps is not that great unless you actually crash (!!) and then slow it down. Otherwise any site like youtube will convert it to 30fps anyway so shooting in the 2.7k mode seems to be the best option because the quality is so high. I use 60/120 when not in the air though so I can slow stuff down. 120 is really really nice.
Another advantage other than slow motion of 60 and 120fps, is jello reduction. The higher frame rates reduce jello. That's why so many people shot in 720 60fps with the Hero 1 and 2. Being able to shoot full 1080 at 60fps is worth the price of admission alone. I kept my Hero 1 and 2, because I plan on mounting one facing straight down for multiple views.

Doug
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:31 AM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbey View Post
There are 4 small rubber washers between camera mount and main frame body.

I will be using some moongel when it arrives or some foam from the KK2 packing.

The gopro was mounted directly on the carbon frame with 2 elastic bands as I left the peice of rubber mat at home that I planned to sit the gopro on.
I have the 4 small rubber grommets too. I used grommets sliced in 1/2. I don't have jello but it shakes when I do anything other than hover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavid60 View Post
Another advantage other than slow motion of 60 and 120fps, is jello reduction. The higher frame rates reduce jello. That's why so many people shot in 720 60fps with the Hero 1 and 2. Being able to shoot full 1080 at 60fps is worth the price of admission alone. I kept my Hero 1 and 2, because I plan on mounting one facing straight down for multiple views.

Doug
I think the higher frame rate just tricks the human eye into thinking it's happening less. Nothing scientific there just my napkin theory. I think it's better to remove the symptom completely instead of shooting at 120fps. Shooting in the 2.7k mode at 1080/30fps is just amazing in low light. Only problem is it's 45mb/s and anything I upload gets degraded so much.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:10 PM
Naperville, IL
Joined Aug 2010
1,154 Posts
Quote:
I have the 4 small rubber grommets too. I used grommets sliced in 1/2. I don't have jello but it shakes when I do anything other than hover.

I think the higher frame rate just tricks the human eye into thinking it's happening less. Nothing scientific there just my napkin theory. I think it's better to remove the symptom completely instead of shooting at 120fps. Shooting in the 2.7k mode at 1080/30fps is just amazing in low light. Only problem is it's 45mb/s and anything I upload gets degraded so much.
Agree with eliminating the symptoms related to jello in the first place.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:01 PM
Canada, AB, Division No. 6
Joined May 2012
21 Posts
I just used a couple of nitro fuel line washers on the mounts, I've never noticed any jello.

*edit* I just got back in from flying the tri on an 8000mah 3s.
The flight characteristics were basically the same, just a little slower. Hover was roughly the same position on the stick.
2200mah - 12 minute hover
5000mah - 20 minute hover
8000mah - 22 minute hover (with a bit of wind and a bit of playing)

So it looks like the sweet spot is 5A batteries with 11X4.7 props...

What is the best resolution to upload vids to youtube?
AUTO_XX is offline Find More Posts by AUTO_XX
Last edited by AUTO_XX; Nov 18, 2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:07 PM
Not a six pack
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jul 2008
5,279 Posts
I personally like 720p 30fps 2-6 mb/s. 320 kbs audio. You can do 1080 but i dont think its necessary. If i really want quality and the video is short i do 10-15 mbs.
Last edited by rocketscience; Nov 18, 2012 at 09:11 PM.