SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 18, 2012, 06:00 PM
Wasn't my fault, I had it and
United States, WV, Ripley
Joined Jan 2012
147 Posts
Question
Need new 6v 2000mAh NIMH rx packs, are these good?

I need 6volt high 2000mAh packs, looking for a reasonable priced pack. Don't want to save a few bucks just to loose my 1/3 scale Ultimate or anything else I have. So I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with this brand>>>http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-x-Tenergy-...ht_1930wt_1193 If not where is a good place to buy Good battery packs?
Thanks
Craig
Wacky1 is offline Find More Posts by Wacky1
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2012, 07:59 PM
WCB
NC
Joined Aug 2005
1,054 Posts
http://www.hangtimes.com/index.html

Sanyo cells. Buy individual cells and build your own pack or buy packs ready to go. I recommend eneloop packs. The self discharge rate is minimal, they are preformed and ready to go. I have bought several packs from this vendor.
WCB is offline Find More Posts by WCB
Old May 18, 2012, 08:38 PM
Gas Only
USA So. Cal.
Joined Sep 2010
1,062 Posts
+1 on hangtime batteries. I have 4 of their 6 v 2500Mah packs.
they are great. I fly all day on a charge.
Fokker DII is offline Find More Posts by Fokker DII
Old May 18, 2012, 08:57 PM
Joined May 2012
105 Posts
hangtimes' price for 1 pack is about what Wacky1 is looking to pay for 4 packs.

Are Ternegy good cells?
JohnGilmore is offline Find More Posts by JohnGilmore
Old May 19, 2012, 08:24 AM
WCB
NC
Joined Aug 2005
1,054 Posts
Tenergy packs may be as good as anything out there. I don't have any experience with them, but the price sure is attractive. Any battery pack is subject to failure no matter what brand of cells.
I have had good service out of Sanyo cells and that is why I recommend them. They are expensive is the down side.
I only use NIMH packs on ignitions now since I went to LIFE packs for receiver years ago.
WCB is offline Find More Posts by WCB
Old May 19, 2012, 12:35 PM
United States, MI, Tuscola
Joined Oct 2006
51 Posts
Wacky,
I have used a bunch of these with no problems. Great packs at a decent price.
Slavko is offline Find More Posts by Slavko
Old May 19, 2012, 03:39 PM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
3,926 Posts
I have two tenergy 9.6v packs and they're crap. They hold a charge, but it takes a lot of fiddling with the charger just to get 75% rated capacity. My packs are 2200 mah rated and on first charge they took ~900 mah. I then discharged and recharged and they took about 1000 mah. I had to loosened up the limits significantly on the charger and managed to get another 500 mah into the packs after a couple more attempts.

All I run for Rx packs right now are Hydramax, they always charge to rated capacity and they're not too expensive and have lasted me several flying seasons.
ChillPhatCat is offline Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old May 19, 2012, 04:05 PM
Gas Only
USA So. Cal.
Joined Sep 2010
1,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGilmore View Post

Are Ternegy good cells?
IMHO NO they are not any good. I have only bought 1 pack of theirs and will Never buy another since that one does not hold a charge.
Fokker DII is offline Find More Posts by Fokker DII
Old May 21, 2012, 12:06 PM
Former B52H Crew Chief
Green Bay WI
Joined Feb 2009
781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCB View Post
http://www.hangtimes.com/index.html

Sanyo cells. Buy individual cells and build your own pack or buy packs ready to go. I recommend eneloop packs. The self discharge rate is minimal, they are preformed and ready to go. I have bought several packs from this vendor.
Quote:

Are Ternegy good cells?
FYI Eneloops aren't good for high amp usage. It will shorten their life span. Otherwise they are fantastic.

I bought a bunch of tenergy cells thinking I would save money.... all had about half the rated cap and lost ability to hold a charge after a year. Complete waste of money.
aerofly0610 is offline Find More Posts by aerofly0610
Old May 23, 2012, 07:06 PM
USA, MA, Weymouth
Joined Mar 2004
1,095 Posts
Makin' my own packs is something I've always done...since 1977!!!

Dear Wacky1:

The PIPE here...I've been making ALL my own battery packs up from individual cells for over a third of a CENTURY, so I DO know how to do it, especially with nickel-chemistry (NiCad & NiMH) cells !!

The BEST set of instructions I've yet seen on HOW to do it would be found at Dave Thacker's RadicalRC website page for the technique I've used for that "third of a century's" worth of time. For the higher currents that the digital servos of today require to operate properly, the EMS/Jomar 22 AWG stranded wire found at their wiring page (look for the 22 gauge, 2 conductor, 65 strand wire for a nickel-chemistry pack) is what I started using as soon as I found out about it.

And for the CELLS...for your needs, the Sanyo HR-4/5SCU NiMH cell seems to be a great bet. It's Sanyo's 80% length, sub-C diameter NiMH cell - which provides 2.1 amp-hours of current, and only has a 7 milliohm internal resistance - and is what I'd be using for an airborne pack when I can get back to the hobby again, and would work GREAT for a five-cell battery pack for your needs. Batteries America seems to have these currently, as well as "The Battery Store",

Hope all those links help you learn how to make your own packs...you'll save some funds for other things, and be able to seleect what YOU want for nickel-chemistry airborne packs for your needs.

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
The PIPE is offline Find More Posts by The PIPE
Old May 23, 2012, 07:26 PM
Joined May 2012
105 Posts
The Pipe
Das Pipe (or is it Die or Der)
Da Pipe (with a Chi-ca-go twist)

Thx so much for the post. 'Preciate it.
JohnGilmore is offline Find More Posts by JohnGilmore
Old May 25, 2012, 07:42 PM
Wasn't my fault, I had it and
United States, WV, Ripley
Joined Jan 2012
147 Posts
Quote:
The Pipe
Das Pipe (or is it Die or Der)
Da Pipe (with a Chi-ca-go twist)

Thx so much for the post. 'Preciate it.

Yes thank you very much for the info.

And I think its (Shi-ka-ga)

Go
Beairs!!
Wacky1 is offline Find More Posts by Wacky1
Old May 25, 2012, 09:51 PM
United States, CA, Barstow
Joined May 2004
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacky1 View Post
I need 6volt high 2000mAh packs, looking for a reasonable priced pack. Don't want to save a few bucks just to loose my 1/3 scale Ultimate or anything else I have. So I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with this brand>>>http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-x-Tenergy-...ht_1930wt_1193 If not where is a good place to buy Good battery packs?
Thanks
Craig
Your looking for a NICAD 6V 2000mah or above battery pack using Sub "C" cells. I would purchase nothing but JR battery packs in this configuration.
flycatch is offline Find More Posts by flycatch
Old May 25, 2012, 10:46 PM
Joined Mar 2012
325 Posts
If you got enough plane to carry them, there's a 5000mah NiCd cell in "D" form factor as well.
NACA0012 is offline Find More Posts by NACA0012
Old May 25, 2012, 10:57 PM
Who Dat!
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Sep 2011
650 Posts
Just get a Lithium Iron Phosphate pack and stop futzing around with the other kind. Yeah they are more expensive but building a nice "1/3 scale Ultimate or anything else" and then cheaping out on the battery is extremely counterintuitive not to mention rather illogical considering that the plane flies only as well as the battery does.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYAS9&P=8
GeetarJoe is offline Find More Posts by GeetarJoe