HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2011, 03:24 AM
Crafter of flying plugs
Armidale, NSW
Joined Feb 2007
1,206 Posts
Build Log
Aerostar Superstar 700 PSS Scratch Build

Ok, so it's time to start building again. This time it's a 1/6th scale Ted Smith/Piper/Aerostar Superstar 700. It's a nice looking plane for it age (44 years) and Aerostar very recently came out with a turbine version either as new or an upgrade to existing aircraft.

So the initial construction will be much the same as the Skyknight but wonít be filled in solid with foam as yet again my target is about 25oz/ft. I hope this will be more frequent PSS flyer. Fuse will be 1/6th scale, Wings are being stretched 20%. Jimbello, I now agree the rudder does appear to be undersized I would like the AUW to be 5.5Kg (12 Lb) or under. ~86" span and 70" long.

Iím still toiling over the tail as the elevator panels will need to be removable again for transport. It appears the most practical solution will be to put servos in the panels.

So here we are, I had the building bug bad before I got the plans draw up but havenít had a lot of spare time since then. I would like to get this done in 6 months so I have some time spare to build another Ohka.

PS. I know there is a Aerostar Van. Unless it been to West Coast Customs, I donít think we need pictures of it here.

Owen Hedger is offline Find More Posts by Owen Hedger
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2011, 03:50 AM
Sydney Australia
Joined Sep 2004
524 Posts
Hi Owen, looking forward to seeing this come together.

Hope I'm not out of line, but wondering if you have seen the excellent build thread of a Piper Cheyenne by the late Eric Molstead(RIP). Kind of reminded me of that plane when I saw the picture of the Aerostar. Thought you might find it interesting.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252186
oziflyer is online now Find More Posts by oziflyer
Old Nov 10, 2011, 03:58 AM
Crafter of flying plugs
Armidale, NSW
Joined Feb 2007
1,206 Posts
Not out of line at all. I'm a build thread sl#t, thanks for pointing it out, Im off to read it now.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 04:15 AM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,325 Posts
Nice Owen
steve wenban is online now Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Nov 10, 2011, 04:21 AM
Upwardly Mobile
Roodepoort, South Africa
Joined Aug 2007
1,037 Posts
Hi Owen,
Subscribed
regards
Mike
mikegbogh is offline Find More Posts by mikegbogh
Old Nov 10, 2011, 04:22 AM
SINK HAPPENS !!!!
Coffs Harbour NSW Australia
Joined May 2006
456 Posts
Looking good as always Owen. There is always something satisfying about building your own model. My Zero is slowly taking shape and hope to have it done for next years fest. I also have to sort out my detachable tailplane but think I will go with the method where you simply disconnect the clevis on each side of the elevator instead of trying to put servos in them, will also keep the weight down in the tail. I am going to make a mould of mine and make it a glass fuse.
I look forward to watching the birth of your creation.
Andrew

PS: Exciting news about Jim getting permission for us at a new slope site.
EeleyEagle is offline Find More Posts by EeleyEagle
Old Nov 10, 2011, 09:36 AM
Joined Aug 2005
2,688 Posts
One of my favorites!

Thanks for the thread!!!

DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56
Old Dec 16, 2011, 04:28 PM
3D Toy Designer
USA, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2001
4,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Hedger View Post
I'm a build thread sl#t,
Maybe we should start a "ISSI" (International Slope Slut Intervention) group for build perverts like us !

Maybe we can be saved

Bill
MicroRotors is online now Find More Posts by MicroRotors
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Toy!
Old Dec 16, 2011, 06:17 PM
United States, NV, Carson City
Joined Jan 2007
631 Posts
WOW Owen, Did you find a set of plans or did you make your own?
ian murdock is offline Find More Posts by ian murdock
Old Dec 16, 2011, 07:01 PM
Crafter of flying plugs
Armidale, NSW
Joined Feb 2007
1,206 Posts
Perverted!? Saved!? I'm happy the way I am Bill I'm supprised you can post slut. I figured after being denied posting p#ssie, slut would be a blocked word as well. Go figure!

No plans Ian. Just one set of 3-view for this one. A few hours with MS excel, publisher and an image editor that lets you measure pixels you can draw up formers from a 3-view pretty well to scale.

There has been much thinking and procatinating but the fuse is almost foamed in ready for shaping. Still want a time lapse of that Matin? I still have to cut and glue on the root foils for the wings and tail surfaces. A few other things that need to be done before access to the guts is no longer possible.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 01:16 AM
Mechanical gypsy
Spain
Joined Dec 2006
543 Posts
Prob depends on where the moderator grew up. Where Iīm from we spell it p u s s y. Whoops, hope this does not derail the thread...

Looks good Owen. Did the Skynight ever fly? I enjoyed that build thread too.

chris s is offline Find More Posts by chris s
Old Dec 17, 2011, 04:30 AM
SINK HAPPENS !!!!
Coffs Harbour NSW Australia
Joined May 2006
456 Posts
Hey Owen,
Looking like something now. By the way, I like your hi-tech clamping method with the occy strap. I hope you don't have a patent on it as I might need that method at some stage too!!!!
I bet the next photos from your workshop will just be a snow storm.
Andrew
EeleyEagle is offline Find More Posts by EeleyEagle
Old Jan 01, 2012, 04:24 AM
Crafter of flying plugs
Armidale, NSW
Joined Feb 2007
1,206 Posts
Just a small update:

It's still a bit of an ugly duckling, I have had to work in the tail surfaces as I feel I need them to make sure I shape the tail correctly. I have removed some of the excess foam with a hot wire, shape is starting to come out

Chris,

The Skyknight didnt get a fly this last year. Conditions didnt meet with my satisifation until the very last hour of the event. Most people had gone back down the Mountian and I didnt see any sense in risking it in the last hour of a 10 day event.

Andrew,

If you think an occy strap will fill a need then you may use it. For me it was a result of trying to do too much in one go
Last edited by Owen Hedger; Jan 01, 2012 at 04:31 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 05:35 AM
Crafter of flying plugs
Armidale, NSW
Joined Feb 2007
1,206 Posts
Snow day

Slow and steady has been the pace of late.

The Elevator panels are done and ready for glass. They are skinned with some 0.5 mm card and look sexy I must say. The finish is also very nice and the panels are nice and rigid . The panels + control surfaces are 82 and 83 grams each. Very please to get them so close in weight.

Shaped out the rudder today, something I have been concerned about, but all went well enough. It has gone from looking to big to a bit under sized, so once the rest of the edging is on and shaped it should look just right!

With the fidly bits out of the way for a while I will be able to shape the fuse and get to see what this is going to look like

On a side note I love PU glue. I no longer care that Bunnings had dumped Bostic MDF glue!
Old Jan 19, 2012, 12:42 PM
3D Toy Designer
USA, CA, Hesperia
Joined May 2001
4,557 Posts
Own,

She's looking GREAT! How heavy is the card stock, is it listed in pounds, ... like 48 pound or so?

I have pondered for a couple of years now on converting Nitroplanes 421 to a PSS'er.

Bill
MicroRotors is online now Find More Posts by MicroRotors
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Toy!