HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:41 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,478 Posts
My batteries came today. If I could get Butthead to get his old
Taylorcraft off MY work bench I could get back on MY J3-S.
The weather shows to be good tomorrow!

I think I need my own shop space!
Kimber is online now Find More Posts by Kimber
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:53 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Yeah - I run mine on the Power up 400, so about 180 watts, she flys very well on that. Perhaps not quite unlimited vertical, but she excels at low, slow inverted figure eights and she climbs straight up for quite a while

I did run her at about 120 watts for a time, and she actually flew quite well on that - slowed down even more than she does now.

Kimber - looks to me like you are the female, so doesn't that mean you are the boss? Throw that taylorcraft on the floor and have at it LOL

Wolfe

PS: Looks like the winds are going to drop just under 10 MPH this afternon, so I guess I will head out and see if the Stearman flies. Mosa 1 should be good as well.
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Last edited by wolfewinde; Feb 01, 2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:12 PM
I live my life 12oz at a time
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,595 Posts
LOL, that brings up an interesting question... Does that mean you can buy as many Planes that you like Kimber?

Good luck on the mainden Wolfe. I am hoping to remainden the Mosa 2 tomorrow. In fact. let me go downstairs and see if the Motor was delivered...
arnav is online now Find More Posts by arnav
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:41 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnav View Post
LOL, that brings up an interesting question... Does that mean you can buy as many Planes that you like Kimber?
I can buy as many planes as I want now.

So far, the planes that are mine are the Flylite, the Slowstick,
all the Flyzone micros, the J3-S, I have a set of Ubers
and Brad has a set. The Sky Cruiser The Sky Ranger.
I have a Select Scale Super Cub, but I thought it was
three channel and it is still in the box.
Kimber is online now Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:42 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,595 Posts
**** sigh **** must be good to be the boss...

Just got the motor from headsuprc for the Mosa II. They sent me by accident a firepower 25 as oppose to a firepower 15. The funny thing is, I would have actually used it but two of the screws in the back for the X-mount refuse to go in. I sent them an email to advise. If they don't care I use this motor until they send me a "15" size motor, and don't care for me to try and force in the screws, I will re maiden tomorrow.

Edit: they want their motor back so no maiden tomorrow...
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by arnav; Feb 01, 2013 at 05:49 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:05 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Well at least you did not crash your Stearman like I did. Too much wind - might have handled that. Out of trim - might have handled that. Lost her in the sun - hmmmm, very hard to fly a plane you cannot see LOL.

Just knocked the stick mount loose and crushed all the foam that holds that piece in. Might have bent the prop shaft - have not checked. Pretty easy fix actually, but......

This airplane just does not fly very well - not nearly as good as the Moth 400 - so I will let her sit in total disgrace for a while - not sure if I will fix her or just use the electronics elsewhere.

Other than that, it was a pretty good day LOL

Wolfe
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:10 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,595 Posts
Sorry to hear...
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:27 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Thanks, Arnav - not a big deal - not one of my favorite airplanes.

Wolfe
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:25 PM
Joined Mar 2010
67 Posts
yeah Phoam!!

Are you going with an Argentine or a Marine "Quantico" 54th sq scheme?

After going 4S on my EPO corsair (if you are considering) I put some major warp in the right wing from too many left turns; it is practically trimmed all the way right.

The thing I hoped some one would take away from the "recipe" is the inclusion of the ParkZone T-28 landing gear which IMHO is the finest LG available under $10. Try it You won't be disappointed.
I really don't notice much difference in AUW in the ultimate F1. I haven't put this newest one on a scale but running a 4S 1500mah zippy compact (a steal at under $12 per) there is no weight penalty over the 1800 3S 35c i was running and hardly anything vis-a-vis the 1600 3S batts.
The 480 put an extra 35 gms on the nose which I welcomed because when GWS went to EPO the CoG was thrown off and you have a rather tail heavy plane.
str8.cash is offline Find More Posts by str8.cash
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:36 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Well the LG on the GWS planes is certainly one of their worst features. I too like PZ landing gear and have used it on other airplanes.

I also agree that I would rather put more motor on an airplane if needed for balance than just dead weight,

Wolfe
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:23 PM
b.b.4
United States, IL, Hoopeston
Joined Jan 2012
80 Posts
can't see it !!!!!!!!!!

I beat you to it Wolfe, 2 days ago, about a 1000' out , 75 ' hi, 70+ mph into a FOG bank that I couldn't see. Not gws, can I say Bixler on this site ?, and not get Booed. Electronics still good, but didn't find all the pieces.
You should have told me sooner Wolfe, [ you can't fly it, if you can't see it ] ha, ha....
b.b.4
b.b.4 is offline Find More Posts by b.b.4
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:44 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Nov 2011
2,595 Posts
1000' away 75' high?

Were you fpv'ing?

I don't think I can see a 55" anything after 500'....
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:10 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8.cash View Post
yeah Phoam!!

Are you going with an Argentine or a Marine "Quantico" 54th sq scheme?

After going 4S on my EPO corsair (if you are considering) I put some major warp in the right wing from too many left turns; it is practically trimmed all the way right.
Actually I didn't have any kind of scheme in mind when I began panting the Corsair the other night, which was kinda spur of the moment. Had planned on just leaving it blue, but I just could not tolerate the little foam mold nipples (EPS) all over the airframe. What's worse is the factory blue paint rubs off of said nipples all too easy leaving them white, and in no time the model looks to have a case of chronic dandruff!

So like I did with my TM400, took a hobby knife and just pressed all the foam molds down flush to the surface of the wing with the point of the knife. This works really well to smooth out the airframe before paint. My boxed up EPO Corsair has a much smoother surface though.

How did you ever fit 4S into a GWS Corsair? I carved my fuse out to the max and it barely fits a 3S 1300 - new ones! If they're puffed just a bit, forget it. Batt compartment is that tight. No room for Velcro. Did they update/enlarge this area with the EPOs?

Ultimately, I decided to go with 3S 1050 packs and micro Deans connectors as there isn't even room under the battery hatch for my usual XT-60 connectors. Motor will be a 400-class. This EPS Corsair airframe is light as a feather
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:11 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
I like going for the clouds. I have hit a fog bank in my PZ p47 when it was silver...scurred the heck outta me but I was in a left turn and it popped out coming back
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Feb 03, 2013, 01:25 AM
Joined Mar 2010
67 Posts
I ended up carving out a bit of the battery compartment. The Zippy Compact 4S 1300mah needs a rubber shim to stay in place- there really isn't any size or weight penalty on these batts! When I was using a SkyLipo 3S 1300 40c they fit pretty snug without a shim. I cannibalized the hatch from my EPS Corsair which was already extensively whittled out.

One note about going 4S: you end up using a smaller diameter prop like an 8x4. The full-scale F4U had a prop that was about 1/3 the wingspan (13'4" to 41') so if you dig a scale look, go 3S with a 10" prop.

I remember sanding down those 'flashes' left by the mold on my GWS Bf109. I used several coats of acrylic to fill in scratches left by the sandpaper.

This one of the biggest libraries of schemes that i have found is here. I have tagged the El Salvadorian scheme. I still haven't seen an RC done in this yet ;-)
str8.cash is offline Find More Posts by str8.cash