HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2011, 09:22 AM
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Discussion
What it means to be a Libertarian

What It Means to Be A Libertarian (1 min 58 sec)
logan5 is offline Find More Posts by logan5
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:29 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2005
1,854 Posts
I guess an English degree - perhaps a few foreign language skills - be real neat and tidy and have a penchance for a quiet working environment ?

Oh I see.... a LIBERTARIAN - sorry.........
ENGINETORQUE is offline Find More Posts by ENGINETORQUE
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:54 AM
Suspended Account
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Jun 2011
38 Posts
Sounds like a lot better of a philosophy than what we see from the democrats and republicans. Why does it seem across the media so many bad mouth them?

Oh look, someone jumped in off topic in another thread.
TomGeorgia Top Spin is offline Find More Posts by TomGeorgia Top Spin
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:56 AM
Bicycle clown
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Feb 2010
399 Posts
Both your rebuplicans are liberals are libertarians, it seems.
Shuffle is offline Find More Posts by Shuffle
Old Jun 17, 2011, 11:16 AM
In Development Now
Joined May 2005
445 Posts
Ann Coulter has an interesting column on this...

Quote:
I consider all Republican debates time-fillers until New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie jumps in, but Monday night's debate did crystallize for me why I dislike libertarians. (Except one, who is a friend of mine and not crazy.)

They lure you in with talk of small government and then immediately start babbling about drug legalization or gay marriage.

"Get the government out of it" is a good and constitutionally correct answer to many questions, but it's not a one-size-fits-all answer to all questions.

It was a good answer, for example, when libertarian Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, was asked about government assistance to private enterprise and government involvement in the housing market.

But it's a chicken-s**t, I-don't-want-to-upset-my-video-store-clerk-base answer when it comes to gay marriage.

Asked about gay marriage, Paul said, in full:

"The federal government shouldn't be involved. I wouldn't support an amendment (prohibiting gay marriage). But let me suggest -- one of the ways to solve this ongoing debate about marriage, look up in the dictionary. We know what marriage is all about. But then, get the government out of it. ... Why doesn't it go to the church? And why doesn't it go to the individuals? I don't think government should give us a license to get married. It should be in the church."

If state governments stop officially registering marriages, then who gets to adopt? How are child support and child custody issues determined if the government doesn't recognize marriage? How about a private company's health care plans -- whom will those cover? Who has legal authority to issue "do not resuscitate" orders to doctors? (Of course, under Obamacare we won't be resuscitating anyone.)

Who inherits in the absence of a will? Who is entitled to a person's Social Security and Medicare benefits? How do you know if you're divorced and able to remarry? Where would liberals get their phony statistics about most marriages ending in divorce?

Paul can't even scratch Social Security and Medicare off that list by taking the libertarian position that there should be no Social Security or Medicare, because he also said during the debate: "We don't want to cut any of the medical benefits for children or the elderly, because we have drawn so many in and got them so dependent on the government." (And of course, those programs do exist, whether we like it or not.)
http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2011-06-15.html

I'm not sure how I feel about it, but it makes a point in a way I have not seen expressed this way before.
Indiana_Geoff is online now Find More Posts by Indiana_Geoff
Old Jun 17, 2011, 11:24 AM
FrankC
Ocala, Florida
Joined Jun 2007
499 Posts
The Libertarians have some good points but I also have some big concerns. I think they are totally clueless in the area of foreign relationships. This would include foreign trade, foreign aid, allies and friends, and enemies. On domestic issues they are closer to right than to wrong, but I think a Libertarian President would be as massive a mistake as Obama has been.
FrankC is offline Find More Posts by FrankC
Old Jun 17, 2011, 11:44 AM
Suspended Account
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Jun 2011
38 Posts
Coulter provides proof that the democrats and republicans really are just one in the same. They both seek to tell others how to live. And both seek to codify how they think life should be into laws.
TomGeorgia Top Spin is offline Find More Posts by TomGeorgia Top Spin
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 17, 2011, 11:47 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2005
1,854 Posts
Conan the Libitarian......
ENGINETORQUE is offline Find More Posts by ENGINETORQUE
Old Jun 17, 2011, 11:48 AM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
417 Posts
I think the vast majority of people would consider themselves libertarians if they knew what the party stood for.
RumRunner_1492 is online now Find More Posts by RumRunner_1492
Old Jun 17, 2011, 12:11 PM
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomGeorgia View Post
Coulter provides proof that the democrats and republicans really are just one in the same. They both seek to tell others how to live. And both seek to codify how they think life should be into laws.
exactly ...
Old Jun 17, 2011, 12:16 PM
Not THAT Ira
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
I am a Libertarian but also realize that there is no political philosophy or system of government, Libertarian or other, that will resolve all peoples problems.
Hey wait a second, that is why I'm a Libertarian.
Real Ira is online now Find More Posts by Real Ira
Old Jun 17, 2011, 12:24 PM
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENGINETORQUE View Post
Conan the Libitarian......
He would crush ALL during the debates.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 02:05 PM
AustinTatious
Hurst, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana_Geoff View Post

I'm not sure how I feel about it, but it makes a point in a way I have not seen expressed this way before.

As someone who likes Ann coulter, what a bunch of dis information and gibberish.

Who inherits in the absence of a will? Who is entitled to a person's Social Security and Medicare benefits? How do you know if you're divorced and able to remarry?

Give me a break. We have government mixed up in religious affairs to make sure we know where inheritance goes? Btw most religions don't provide for divorece AFAIK. All of those other things havE solutions that don't cost taxpayer money.
AustinTatious is offline Find More Posts by AustinTatious
Old Jun 17, 2011, 02:09 PM
In Development Now
Joined May 2005
445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTatious View Post
Give me a break. We have government mixed up in religious affairs to make sure we know where inheritance goes? Btw most religions don't provide for divorece AFAIK. All of those other things havE solutions that don't cost taxpayer money.
But they don't have zero government solutions.
Indiana_Geoff is online now Find More Posts by Indiana_Geoff
Old Jun 17, 2011, 02:17 PM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana_Geoff View Post

I think the marriage issue is an easy one for libertarians. Let the government issue civil union licenses for everyone who wants to be legally joined (married in the governments eyes) If a couple wants to be married then they can go to a church and get married. The act of marriage is a church issue and not a government one. The civil union license would provide the same benifits regardless of what sexes make up the couple.

If a same sex couple wants to suffer through marriage like a typical couple then who am I to stop them and deprive them of that pain.
RumRunner_1492 is online now Find More Posts by RumRunner_1492