SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 02, 2014, 10:31 PM
bps
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Apr 2001
814 Posts
Finally flew my P40 tonight. Used a 2200 4s Admiral for the maiden flight. About 1/2 throttle for most of the flight of just a bit over three minutes. Battery voltage was about 3.7 volts per cell. Second flight was using a ThunderPower 3200 4s 45c battery and it yielded 5 minutes of flight time. Cell voltage was 3.8 volts per cell. The new metal trunnion retracts worked great but nose overs happened every landing. Flying from a nice grass runway.

I would like to consider shimming the gear forward a bit but not sure I could live with the wheels hanging out. Anyway flys nice and on a smooth surface would be awesome!
bps is online now Find More Posts by bps
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2014, 05:57 AM
United States, TX, Montgomery
Joined Aug 2006
1,233 Posts
Main LG

as I am new to the thread could other members please post me a recommended main LG replacement as we know stock gear is a weak link in this model. Thanks and have fun. donnie
menksters is offline Find More Posts by menksters
Old Aug 03, 2014, 06:33 AM
bps
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Apr 2001
814 Posts
On the my first take off my gear collapsed breaking the stock plastic trunion on the gear and doing some damage to a brand new plane. Others have gotten by with using the stock gear, I was not so lucky.

Take a look back at my post number 3011 which shows a link to PW RC where you can order parts to change out the plastic gear trunions on this plane. You will also need the struts listed as well. Having said that I understand that the FMS Corsair metal retracts will work with just a bit of modification to the gear well. Motion stocks them here;

http://www.motionrc.com/fms-designed...400mm-corsair/

You will also need to order the Corsair struts here;

http://www.motionrc.com/1400mm-fms-f...g-gear-struts/

Both methods will require some work. Not sure how much with the Corsair retracts as I went another direction with mine which you can read about in post 3011. Just flew the plane last night for the first time successfully twice. First flight was using a 2.2 3s yielding only 3 minutes of flying time and the second flight was 5 minutes using a larger 3.2 x 4s. The second flight was much nicer. The larger pac moved the CG just a bit forward and made the P40 a much sweeter plane to fly. Painful to watch it nose over on a very smooth and slow landing though!

If I had it to do over I would just order the FMS Corsair here;

http://www.motionrc.com/fms-f4u-cors...p/#description

Looks like a real sweet machine!
bps is online now Find More Posts by bps
Old Aug 04, 2014, 12:32 AM
Joined Aug 2006
1,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bps View Post
On the my first take off my gear collapsed breaking the stock plastic trunion on the gear and doing some damage to a brand new plane. Others have gotten by with using the stock gear, I was not so lucky.

Take a look back at my post number 3011 which shows a link to PW RC where you can order parts to change out the plastic gear trunions on this plane. You will also need the struts listed as well. Having said that I understand that the FMS Corsair metal retracts will work with just a bit of modification to the gear well. Motion stocks them here;

http://www.motionrc.com/fms-designed...400mm-corsair/

You will also need to order the Corsair struts here;

http://www.motionrc.com/1400mm-fms-f...g-gear-struts/

Both methods will require some work. Not sure how much with the Corsair retracts as I went another direction with mine which you can read about in post 3011. Just flew the plane last night for the first time successfully twice. First flight was using a 2.2 3s yielding only 3 minutes of flying time and the second flight was 5 minutes using a larger 3.2 x 4s. The second flight was much nicer. The larger pac moved the CG just a bit forward and made the P40 a much sweeter plane to fly. Painful to watch it nose over on a very smooth and slow landing though!

If I had it to do over I would just order the FMS Corsair here;

http://www.motionrc.com/fms-f4u-cors...p/#description

Looks like a real sweet machine!
Thank you sir, Ordered the Motion setup. Also have been using a 2 blade APC 14x7 instead of OEM 3 blade. Really remarkable improvement. Only negative is a bit more prop noise. Have fun. donnie
Old Aug 06, 2014, 12:38 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,233 Posts
My mods

I note this thread has really slowed down as this model has been available to us for a long time. I will try to summarize some useful mods here for those that join the party late as I have done. I currently own and fly quite a few of the FMS 1400 Warbirds. I have the BF-109, FW 190, Camo Zero, Spitfire, and now the P-40. Right up front would say boy FMS has come a long way with this 1400 series. P-40 was 1st one they offered and the design, fit and finish is not up to par with their recent offerings. Having said that with some simple modifications I have found it is the best{most enjoyable] one of the group I own. It also is a real looker on ground and in the air with the Kittyhawk paint job. The mods I made are few and simple with materials most of us have in shop. So first mod after maiden was to secure wings as there is only one sheet metal screw holding them to fuse. On maiden I noticed wing shift and flex. Mod is I cut 4 I/8" lite ply tabs notched out foam so had a flush joint and epoxied these tabs 1" back from L.E and T.E. of wing to fuse junction. These tabs are 1.5" long by 3/4 wide. Also epoxied wing tube into one wing panel. Supplied F.G. tube was 3"to long on my model?. Now if wings ever need to be removed a simple razor saw cut through these tabs will allow that. Another alternative would be epoxy tube into both wing panels and fuse. This would of course permanently mounts panels and makes servo replacement difficult. Next to achieve proper C.G. had to do a little foam removal from fuse and canopy base. Cut canopy base leaving 5/8" of foam from top junction. This allows proper placement of battery. After removing some of the foam pillars in the fuse I epoxied in a 1/8" lite ply battery tray faced with Velcro. After maiden I also found loose tail feathers. Remove screw designed to hold it on and epoxied it in place as well. Last I have shimmed the rear of L.G. 1/6". With these simple mods you will have a great looking and flying model. Now here are some performance enhancements I have added as well. Replaced 3 blade prop with a 2 blade 14x7 APC. Amazed by the thrust and RPM increase this provides with same current draw. Here one will have to cut of supplied motor shaft to accommodate mounting of a standard shaft collet. Didn't have a spinner in inventory so cut existing spinner to accommodate a 2 blade prop. Filled in all existing props gaps with epoxy and 50% mix of micro balloons to reduce weight and allow sanding them in. Repainted spinner with Kylon Fusion. Supplied landing gear is rather weak so I have ordered a replacement upgrade set from Motion that is used in their Corsair and has metal trunions. Exact set is mentioned a page back in thread. Have fun all, and I know you will enjoy this model. donnie
Last edited by menksters; Aug 06, 2014 at 06:58 PM.
Old Aug 09, 2014, 02:21 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,233 Posts
Motion L.G.

Just finished installing the Motion Corsair gear in mine. Requires removal of about 3/8" of foam at the forward end of existing wheel wells. Also must remove gear doors close/open bracket. Screw plate mount holes are a match so no problem there. Then I removed 1/4" off center line of both doors to cover mounting plate then CA'ed them in place. Lastly I painted the gear doors with Model Masters FS33722 modern desert sand as it is a near perfect match. All in took me about 2 hrs. and feel these upgraded struts will provide far better service. Have fun. donnie
Last edited by menksters; Aug 17, 2014 at 07:57 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 01:11 PM
Santa Cruz, CA
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined Sep 2011
1,222 Posts
Rumor of an updated 1400mm P-40? On the FMS Facebook page there is a picture of an FMS engineering meeting. There is a projected slide showing a P-40 wing with multi-connector. The multi-connector is just like the one for the 1450mm P-51. Surely this is not for the forthcoming 980mm P-40B. Thought?
karltrek is offline Find More Posts by karltrek
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 27, 2014, 06:39 PM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karltrek View Post
Rumor of an updated 1400mm P-40? On the FMS Facebook page there is a picture of an FMS engineering meeting. There is a projected slide showing a P-40 wing with multi-connector. The multi-connector is just like the one for the 1450mm P-51. Surely this is not for the forthcoming 980mm P-40B. Thought?
If they re-worked the P-40 in 1400mm, got some decent retracts with oleos with all the fit and finish of the new models AND no plastic nose/cowl I'd be aboard
pullup! is offline Find More Posts by pullup!