HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:09 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2013
42 Posts
I bought a big bad of rubber bands from Walmart for only a couple bucks. I throw them away after each flight due to the messy oil all over them
trimble95 is offline Find More Posts by trimble95
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:26 PM
Gilbert AZ
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2012
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trimble95 View Post
I bought a big bad of rubber bands from Walmart for only a couple bucks. I throw them away after each flight due to the messy oil all over them
Throw them in a bag of backing soda. Removes oil slime
azflyingguy is offline Find More Posts by azflyingguy
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:34 PM
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2013
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflyingguy View Post
Throw them in a bag of backing soda. Removes oil slime
Thanks azflyingguy, will try that soon!
-Trimble95
trimble95 is offline Find More Posts by trimble95
Old Jan 09, 2013, 07:11 AM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
3,825 Posts
Dish soap removes the slime as well as I mentioned a few posts ago.
ChillPhatCat is online now Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Jan 09, 2013, 07:38 AM
Aurora Municipal, Illinois, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillPhatCat View Post
I always buy a big bag of 64's from Staples and never have a problem... I use a new set every flying session and put the used ones in another bag, when I run out I just use them again. With nitro planes I wash the used bands with dish soap to get the oil off and bingo bango! they're like new. I find that I only ever have to buy rubber bands once a year, and for $2 per bag, I cannot be convinced that I need "high quality" rubber.

I also use the 2 bands + 2 per lb rule however, so a 5 lb trainer gets 12 rubber bands... plenty of redundancy if one happens to snap.

Also, when I put the used ones back into service, I pull them about 14 inches to make sure they don't snap... you always find a few.
Same here as well as the number of rubber bands. I see a lot of new fliers show up with a new plane with a couple of rubber bands to hold the wing on. They are usually surprised when we put 10 more bands on before flying.
bullseye000 is offline Find More Posts by bullseye000
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:29 AM
Gilbert AZ
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2012
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillPhatCat View Post
Dish soap removes the slime as well as I mentioned a few posts ago.
I think I missed your post. Anyway I like baking soda method because I think its less messy and I can carry a bag of Rubbers mixed with baking soda to the field. I think we are off topic because we are talking about Glow Fuel.
azflyingguy is offline Find More Posts by azflyingguy
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:45 AM
United States, FL, Lehigh Acres
Joined Aug 2011
846 Posts
I use the # 64s from my LHS but I toss them after every use, they just don't hold up well for me. They arn't too expensive but I know its wasteful.
xrx1113 is offline Find More Posts by xrx1113