HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:28 PM
United States, TX, Cypress
Joined Jan 2012
399 Posts
Discussion
My Honey Bee HBF2 went crazy on me

So i was idling up my modified HBF2, when all of a sudden it took off, straight up full throttle. I ducked for cover, and it crashed 30 feet behind me, and I had to pull the battery once all the blades and gears were worn down. The Heli looks bad. Salvage whats left. Now with no blades, or tail I popped in another battery till see if the ESC CP3 3in 1, or the Esky receiver was still working. It all worked, and did not run away. I know they can runaway if the esc has fried, but this one was working fine, and suddenly without warning goes beserk, and then returns back to normal.

I have the parts to rebuild, but can I trust the electronics? This heli was running carbon extreme blades and had the super motor. It could have hurt. Maybe just throw it all in the trash.
bobfa is offline Find More Posts by bobfa
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:40 AM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,101 Posts
Didnt turn on the Tx 2nd ?
old4570 is offline Find More Posts by old4570
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wow -
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:37 AM
Joined Jan 2012
399 Posts
The heli motor and electronics were already bound to transmitter, and I had it idling waiting for a few minutes, when suddenly it just took off like rocket. I suspect the ESC is defective and when it gets warm, one of the MOSFET's switched the controller full on. If the heli was not right over my head, and I did not freak I probably could have controlled it till the batteries went dead. I tore it all apart and will rebuild it frame up. I plan to bench test the heli extensively. Doubt if I can trust it , and probably will have to order a new ESC. While tearing down, I ran the motor, and could not get it to misbehave. Can you trust any electronics? Good reason to use absolute care whenever you plug in that battery because you never know...
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:34 PM
Joined Jan 2012
399 Posts
So I have been in RC for 6 months. Does this just happen now and then that ESCs and receivers just go boinko for no reason? Then they return to normal like nothing happened except my $120 heli is totally trashed except for the now acting normal innocent looking electronics? Those gremlins will cost me no less then $50 bucks to fix er up.