HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 15, 2011, 01:05 PM
Paul Pappas AMA 42520
CT,USA
Joined Aug 2008
1,102 Posts
Discussion
(200 engines) NEW YS 60 Rear Exhaust Short Strokeís (200 engines)

I’m looking into getting enough interest (200 engines minimum) for the YS Factory to do another run of the YS 60 Rear Exhaust Short stokes.

Who would want one?

I need to see numbers to ask for this to happen.

This is Real Guys!

"Without YS RE engines certain planes just don't fly"
Pitstop000 is offline Find More Posts by Pitstop000
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Pitstop000; Nov 21, 2013 at 02:25 PM. Reason: typo's
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2011, 11:17 AM
Paul Pappas AMA 42520
CT,USA
Joined Aug 2008
1,102 Posts
List

I set up an e-mail to handle and compile this list.

NewYS60FRList@yahoo.com

Please keep it simple by providing just your name, mailing address and phone numbers with quantities.

This will only be a list for new YS60FR engines from the YS Factory.

The first 200 engines need to be accounted for at this point.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Pitstop000; Nov 21, 2013 at 02:26 PM. Reason: typo's
Old Apr 25, 2011, 07:13 PM
Paul Pappas AMA 42520
CT,USA
Joined Aug 2008
1,102 Posts
List

Checked e-mail list today.

The list is at 20 motors firm as of today.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: JR 28X / JRís Flagship Radio!
Old May 14, 2011, 06:07 PM
Paul Pappas AMA 42520
CT,USA
Joined Aug 2008
1,102 Posts
List Update

23 unitís as of today.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 19, 2011, 06:17 PM
Paul Pappas AMA 42520
CT,USA
Joined Aug 2008
1,102 Posts
List Update

List is still at 23 unit's as of today.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2012, 08:07 PM
Paul Pappas AMA 42520
CT,USA
Joined Aug 2008
1,102 Posts
News From YS

It looks like YS has decided on another path for us!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10957749/tm.htm

Hi Guys,
I have some potentially very exciting news: YS is considering manufacturing a new 10cc (.61) rear exhaust short-stroke engine.
This really got started by Chip Hyde when he opened the post regarding which 3 classic pattern kits would you be interested in. Of course, the concern was raised regarding availability of rear exhaust engines. I knew Paul Pappas had called Rich Verano about a year ago to inquire about YS making more 60s and there didn't seem to be much interest by YS at the time. I decided to give it another try and spoke to Rich about the possibility of YS producing some more 60s about a month ago. Long story made short(er): we chatted, he chatted with YS and they are interested in the project!
I don't have much information, yet, but I do know the following:
This will be a new version of the short stroke; YS wants to use the long stroke case (apparently they can't make the 'FR' case anymore) and update the design to make it a short stroke engine. I don't have specifics, but essentially this would entail boring out the case; new, larger diameter piston, shorter connecting rod, different crankshaft or just different placement of the crankpin and some porting and timing changes. Knowing YS it will undoubtedly have more power than the original 'FR' and the design philosophy seems to be addressing the needs of the CPA pilots looking for peak power at higher rpm. If the torque curve of this new engine approximates that of the old 'FR' it will be quite flat, producing excellent power at a surprisingly wide rpm range.
I have included some photos of an original .60FR (on the left) and a newer .61LS to whet your appetite.
The only other information I have is that YS is hoping for a mid to late summer 2012 delivery date.
Currently, they are considering making 100 of these new engines.
Is there enough interest to purchase 100 (or more) of these engines? I know I'll be good for a couple - at least!
Regards,
Will Bartlett
PS - I have no 'personal' interest or stake in this venture (unlike the Hanno sleeves) - just a very excited spectator!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2012, 10:22 AM
Joined Sep 2008
51 Posts
VERY interesting news,, I have been wondering where I am going to get a solid rear exhaust 60 for a couple projects I want to build,, Keep us posted PLEASE
zedad71 is offline Find More Posts by zedad71
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:58 PM
Paul Pappas AMA 42520
CT,USA
Joined Aug 2008
1,102 Posts
Hey Guys,

I just got off the phone with Richard after a long one hour conversation.

We talked in depth about the New Engine and the future and a little about the old days.

One, this NEW engine will be supported by Richard at YS; you wonít be left without parts support!

The prototype NEW engine is in the works, It will be even better than the old 60FR. We have learned a lot since the original 60ís.

The proposed price for these motors as already been stated will be in the 300 to 325 range. This has more to do with currency exchanges than anything else. Richard hopes to keep it at 300.

Richardsís list is filling up; I took 4 engines with someone even taking a block of 12 engines. They wonít last long at this rate.

Get on the list now before youíre left out.

Contact Richard directly at richard@ysengines.net or by phone

Name: YS US.jpg
Views: 86
Size: 241.9 KB
Description: YS US
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2012, 02:13 PM
Raised on 80's Pattern
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Joined May 2006
1,290 Posts
Also, Richard is planning to attend the So Cal Classic Pattern Get-Together in May.

This will be a great opportunity to talk to Richard and show him that there is support for this project.

Doug
Fatherof4 is offline Find More Posts by Fatherof4
Old Feb 17, 2012, 03:13 PM
Suspended Account
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Jan 2012
239 Posts
I think this is wonderful. If we can get a supplier of good engines that are affordable, and plentiful more modellers will be moving into Classic Pattern just as they did in the 70's.

When the "big" boys went to turn around pattern, with the larger engines and planes, the manufactures kinda left us "little" guys hanging with no production of kits or engines to keep the Classic pattern as we knew it alive.

Now there is a new generation of pattern fliers here that either don't like the big planes or big engines or turn around pattern and therefore are turned off and more intune with just boring holes in the sky.

I believe they are getting bored with just boring holes in the sky and want to get to some serious flying. But they aren't interested in the big planes or they can't afford it. That leaves a hole to be filled. And that plug is Classic Pattern.

No one wants to scavage e-bay or craig's list looking for engines that are over priced or worn out from use back in the day. They don't want to buy pattern kits that have been sitting in someones attic for 20 years either and pay a premium price for it and have no warrantee that all the parts are still there.

If we can get a few engine manufacturers going with good, affordable .61s and some decent pattern kits, I think Classic Pattern will take off and be like it was before.

Frank
countilaw is offline Find More Posts by countilaw
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 18, 2012, 11:53 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Jun 2010
1,303 Posts
Actually Frank, a lot of us do buy old kits and old engines and build and fly them with regularity! That is how this whole Classic thing started, and how the present engine manufacturer awakening happened in the first place.
There are many ways to enjoy this hobby and buying NIB, NOS, used, and just plain second hand often makes the flight line full. So don't pass up an old kit, a lot of them are well preserved and the wood is straight and light!
Chris...
stuntflyr is offline Find More Posts by stuntflyr
Old Feb 18, 2012, 01:15 PM
Suspended Account
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Jan 2012
239 Posts
Chris, I agree with you. That has been part of the fun about modelling. Finding old kits to build and discontinued engines. However, with the increased availability of new kits, new engines and parts, many new hobbiest will join the ranks. Economics 101 Supply and Demand governs the market place.

The more pattern fliers or sport fliers there are, the more money the manufactures make, the more they make, the more research and development they do. As more and more products come on line, the prices go down. When the prices go down, more fliers get interested.

It's a never ending process. I would love to see the number of pattern contest increase as well as the attendance. Like it was back in the 70's and 80's.

I hope to see a rebirth of the Classic Pattern in all it's glory. And companies like YS, and Hobby Barn will make it happen. Chris, Richard, Dan and Don, Keep up the good work. It's you guys and the active members of this forum and forums like this, that will make this happen.

Frank

Frank
countilaw is offline Find More Posts by countilaw
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 27, 2012, 12:40 AM
Kevin S. Gribben
Joined Mar 2011
332 Posts
Oh, I cant wait for fresh strong injected motor up front. I have built a small stable of Ebay motors but am kidding myself than any of the motors I have pull as hard as they should. I have put the planes on diets with Lipo's and small servos to help out, but the though of a short stroke cranker is welcome news.

My piston and sleeves have more fuel through em than any I flew in the 80's. They have though been very reliable to me, so I guess I have gotten lucky.

Yea for Yamada !
Kevin2035 is offline Find More Posts by Kevin2035
Old Mar 27, 2012, 03:29 PM
Paul Pappas AMA 42520
CT,USA
Joined Aug 2008
1,102 Posts
Update

Just got off the phone with Richard at YS, the list of engines is getting close to filling up!

Donít miss out on these!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Pitstop000; Mar 27, 2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 07:30 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined May 2003
472 Posts
Somebody should let Macs know there will be 200 new RE's out there looking for headers...
edh13 is offline Find More Posts by edh13