SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 08, 2013, 01:08 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyroMan View Post
Sounds much like what I have done to my Swift NX...plus a repaired & repinted E640 canopy that a good friend did for me. I found the pitches allowed with the stock swashplate works fine for me with the Bigaole FBL "control behavior" setting set for "extreme".

I really love the CN2517A rotor head - really heavy duty. I can see why they use it on the bigger Radikal E640.

This has become the heli I fly the most! Just loving it. I cannot believe how well it does everything on such a low cost complete system - low cost heli, low cost servos, low cost FBL, low cost motor and low cost ESC!!
The Bigaole is a chinese BeastX clone btw. What servos did you use?

So far my list of "reasonably priced good quality cyclic servos" consists of the MKS DS1209, Hyperion DS20X-SMD, Audacity/Promodeler S74140DLHV, S74215CLHV and S74245BLHV, Hitec HS-8330SH and HS-7975HB and Futaba S9452.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2013, 05:04 PM
Joined Apr 2009
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
The Bigaole is a chinese BeastX clone btw. What servos did you use?

So far my list of "reasonably priced good quality cyclic servos" consists of the MKS DS1209, Hyperion DS20X-SMD, Audacity/Promodeler S74140DLHV, S74215CLHV and S74245BLHV, Hitec HS-8330SH and HS-7975HB and Futaba S9452.
Yes, I was aware that the Bigaole FBL controller was a BeastX clone.

The servos I used are the rather run of the mill $30.00 Futaba S3151 units.

Reasonably priced good quality servo - my first requirement is that it be a servo that has proven to be dependable, then that it will have adequate power for the heli it is to control, then that it has enogh speed to accomplish the task.

Dependability is # 1 because I have purchased servo from fringe manufacturers that have much better specs (both in torque and speed and even with metal gears) then the lowly Futaba S3151's, but they caused my helis to crash when they stopped working. Due to the power and speed of the S3151's I only use them in 550 sized helis and they have never failed me - touching wood now.

Of course in 550's that are set up for more smack type of 3D, then I go with S9252's or BLS451's.

I have always had confidence in the Futaba servos, as I have been flying them for 15 years now and any I have used have all proved to be very dependable. I haven't tried their S9452 units but I have used their S9252 on 600 nitros, 90 nitros and gassers, And more recently I really like their brushless servos for the se bigger ones as they give great power and speed while consuming half of the power that standard digitals require.
GyroMan is offline Find More Posts by GyroMan
Old Nov 09, 2013, 05:34 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,204 Posts
I'm not sure that I would call Hitec or SJ Propo (who make the Hyperion servos as well as some "big name" stuff like Graupner radios and Airtronics servos) "fringe" manufacturers.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 01:30 PM
Joined Apr 2009
127 Posts
Quote:
I'm not sure that I would call Hitec or SJ Propo (who make the Hyperion servos as well as some "big name" stuff like Graupner radios and Airtronics servos) "fringe" manufacturers.
I don't consider HiTec a fringe manufacturer today either. There first two generations of servos where not very reliable. But with more experience in the manufacture of them over the past 15 years or so, now have become a reliable servo source.

What I mean by a "fringe" manufacturer is ANY brand that has not proven itself to be dependable in use by many people OVER A GOOD AMOUNT of time - e.g. 2 years for me.

As for SJ Propo, for myself personally, this is a brand I am not familiar with, I do not know of people who have had good experiences with them over a couple of years, I personally will reserve judgement until such time as I have more pertenant info from friends that I know personally or that I know, from years of their postings, to only recommend products that have been proven to them to be reliable over a long enough period of time.
GyroMan is offline Find More Posts by GyroMan
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:33 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,204 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GyroMan View Post

As for SJ Propo, for myself personally, this is a brand I am not familiar with, I do not know of people who have had good experiences with them over a couple of years, I personally will reserve judgement until such time as I have more pertenant info from friends that I know personally or that I know, from years of their postings, to only recommend products that have been proven to them to be reliable over a long enough period of time.
They are more of a manufacturer than a brand. SJ Propo makes Hyperion, Gaui, Airtronics and Graupner servos (and maybe some others). They apparently market servos under their own name as well but I haven't seen those for sale in the US. They also make Graupner radios, Tactic radios and (probably) Tactic servos. They own Graupner now (bought them when they went bankrupt ) and I have read that they are behind Tactic as well.
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Nov 15, 2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 12:22 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,663 Posts
duplicate below
rotoraddict is offline Find More Posts by rotoraddict
Last edited by rotoraddict; Nov 18, 2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 12:28 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,663 Posts
Quote:
They are more of a manufacturer than a brand. SJ Propo makes Hyperion, Gaui, Airtronics and Graupner servos (and maybe some others). They apparently market servos under their own name as well but I haven't seen those for sale in the US. They also make Graupner radios, Tactic radios and (probably) Tactic servos. They own Graupner now (bought them when they went bankrupt ) and I have read that they are behind Tactic as well.
Thanks for the info AS. Very interesting. Years ago I was involved with some servo R&D and found there were a number of off shore manufacturers in Asia. They all would quote different prices for similar servos, that used the same cases, depending on the quality of the components inside (though they all looked the same from the outside).

The biggest cause for different quality relative to the pricing, was the motors used. This could range from a 30% difference in cost, to a 150% difference in cost from the least expensive version.

In some cases I even found that there were some higher priced, supposedly high performance (from their specs) servos, that we bought from some manufacturers, that could not hold a candle to the basic Futaba S-148 or JR 501 servo of the day!!!

This is another reason why I like to stay with proven brands, those that have spent years in developing a solid reputation for quality and dependability. If such brands are willing to put their reputation on the line, then I feel fairly confident that even if the servo was made ``out of shop`` then it will still be up to the specs and will also be dependable.
rotoraddict is offline Find More Posts by rotoraddict