SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:29 PM
BUZZ KILL
Utah
Joined Aug 2010
1,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_beeson View Post
I've got a SPW, fan stack, and helical that you can have.

*that place is amazing...
Sold! I'll send you an IM.

Ya, I have been looking at the North end of the swell for a long time. Years in fact but never had time to go. I completed a reaper xl wide about a month a go and put 6 or 10 flights on it so it was time. The trip was for mostly exploration of places to fly. I found a couple and have some ideas for my next trip (once I get my video figured out).
Plane Insane RC is offline Find More Posts by Plane Insane RC
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:18 PM
Crash....Fix......repeat.
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined Jan 2012
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane Insane RC View Post

Ya, I have been looking at the North end of the swell for a long time. Years in fact but never had time to go. I completed a reaper xl wide about a month a go and put 6 or 10 flights on it so it was time. The trip was for mostly exploration of places to fly. I found a couple and have some ideas for my next trip (once I get my video figured out).
My wife is from Huntington so we spend a lot of time in that area. Once your ready for your next trip let me know and maybe I can tag along and we can compare notes for the area.
kokopropelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopropelli
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:13 AM
Joined Jan 2012
451 Posts
Looks like the rest of this week looks pretty nice, who's going to be out flying and where?
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:32 AM
Fly, crash, repair, repeat....
United States, UT, West Jordan
Joined Sep 2011
324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geminiryan View Post
Looks like the rest of this week looks pretty nice, who's going to be out flying and where?
I am of course. Most likely bountiful canyon with my buddy Kenny.
BlenderBoy is offline Find More Posts by BlenderBoy
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:43 PM
Joined Nov 2009
8 Posts
Hobby attack drones

Richard Ryan does some crazy stuff. Here he builds some multi-rotors and bombs for them to drop:

Drones: Quadrotor & Hexacopters - The Breakdown: Ghost Recon Future Soldier (8 min 51 sec)

In this video he reviews two Aerovironment remote control UAVs used by the military (nice camera on the Puma, see things 1 mile away):

UAV's: The Breakdown with RQ-11 Raven and Puma AE (3 min 1 sec)
KanyonKris is offline Find More Posts by KanyonKris
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:24 PM
Joined Jan 2012
451 Posts
Quick trip out to 5 mile pass....

5 Mile Pass FPV (3 min 8 sec)
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:33 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,376 Posts
nice flight
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:47 PM
BUZZ KILL
Utah
Joined Aug 2010
1,068 Posts
Thanks for the antennas Mike. I wanted to get out today and try them out but of course I had to work late and now it's dark. I have the short Skewed planar wheel installed on my Storm Chaser. Maybe tomorrow morning weather permitting I'll give it a try.

Question. How well will a inverted V work with a crosshair antenna? I bought 3 of them a couple of months ago and paid way too much just to have them sit on a shelf.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:05 PM
BUZZ KILL
Utah
Joined Aug 2010
1,068 Posts
A few more stills from last weekend.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:34 PM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,376 Posts
The inverted V is linear polarization, so the rule of thumb is to run circular with circular, and linear with linear.

the crosshair is circular, so you could try it, but I can tell you that you will get better performance in tight spaces with the skewed planar wheel on Vtx..

I've got a couple of inverted V's sitting around also that I have never used.

Quote:
Thanks for the antennas Mike. I wanted to get out today and try them out but of course I had to work late and now it's dark. I have the short Skewed planar wheel installed on my Storm Chaser. Maybe tomorrow morning weather permitting I'll give it a try.

Question. How well will a inverted V work with a crosshair antenna? I bought 3 of them a couple of months ago and paid way too much just to have them sit on a shelf.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:11 PM
Joined Jan 2012
451 Posts
Quote:
A few more stills from last weekend.
Is that down on the Buckhorn Draw road?
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:25 PM
BUZZ KILL
Utah
Joined Aug 2010
1,068 Posts
Yes. My liner antenna setup didn't work so well down in that canyon. Can't wait to try with a circular setup.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:25 AM
Kaysville/Provo
Joined Jan 2006
178 Posts
Hey all,

I haven't been around much in the past few years, but it is good to get back on here and see that everybody is still going strong. You guys have got some awesome footage!

I recently had an opportunity arise with a good friend who is starting a film and advertising business. We got talking and I showed him some aerial footage, then we straped a gopro to my glider just to try it out. We got some pretty cool footage flying around inside the BYU stadium - I'll have to put it up here - though my CG was off and it lost a lot of stability.

So I've been reading about some FAA regulation saying that you can't fly for commercial purposes. First of all, who gave the FAA permission to make laws? That's messed up if you ask me. Either way, I can't find anything concrete on it. Is this all true? Will we be prosecuted? Any ways around it?

Thanks for your help!
BGArmy is offline Find More Posts by BGArmy
Old Dec 04, 2012, 03:05 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,376 Posts
There are special Licenses, but I understand that you have to previously be a licensed pilot, and then you have to jump through hoops, and pay money...

There is supposed to be a change in the law, and I think it's supposed to be made public in 2014.

there is one good side of it though... Until the new law is enacted, the hobbiest has no regulations on rc and fpv activity.

The only time that you will have rules to follow is when you are flying at a AMA sanctioned field.

Some will tell you that there rules in play right now, and that you have to do this and that, and you can't do this and you can't do that, but until the new law is enacted, they are wrong...

-Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGArmy View Post
Hey all,

I haven't been around much in the past few years, but it is good to get back on here and see that everybody is still going strong. You guys have got some awesome footage!

I recently had an opportunity arise with a good friend who is starting a film and advertising business. We got talking and I showed him some aerial footage, then we straped a gopro to my glider just to try it out. We got some pretty cool footage flying around inside the BYU stadium - I'll have to put it up here - though my CG was off and it lost a lot of stability.

So I've been reading about some FAA regulation saying that you can't fly for commercial purposes. First of all, who gave the FAA permission to make laws? That's messed up if you ask me. Either way, I can't find anything concrete on it. Is this all true? Will we be prosecuted? Any ways around it?

Thanks for your help!
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:19 AM
wheeeeee!
United States, UT, Provo
Joined Oct 2011
916 Posts
Think of it this way: what are you willing to risk?

m_beeson's correct in that (to my knowledge) no one has been able to cite an official gov't publication, code, or law currently and explicitly restricting it, although we know there are at least some in the FAA that frown on it. We also know the FAA has a system in place through which permits can be obtained, even if it's questionable whether or not they're required.

On the other hand, (to my knowledge) no one has been able to cite anything official explicitly allowing or exempting any type of commercial FPV/AP for unregulated flight. I don't think we should have to receive such an allowance by our gov't, but...

Bottom line is, it's a murky area right now, and if you started getting too successful, or garnering too much attention before things get cleared up, I wouldn't be surprised to see a headline saying "Utah-based aerial photography startup slapped with fines, confiscation of equipment by FAA."

Ridiculous, but plausible.
elCapitan is offline Find More Posts by elCapitan