SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 14, 2014, 09:13 PM
Father & Son Crashing together
United States, NC, Hickory
Joined May 2014
29 Posts
Help!
Climbing Problems

So picked up ASW28 96" wingspan and flys like most foamies slow scale turns and delayed response...My problem when you hit the throttle to climb I have to push almost full elavator down to keep it from rolling backwards... I glide her nice and smooth hands offs, get within 10-15 ft of the ground and go to 1/2 to 3/4 throttle and..... it takes full down and tons of Ailerions and Lots of Rudder to keep her on a 45 degree climb....

Any ideas? Factory plane, running 1350mah. 11.1 in perfectly balanced glider on the bench and while gliding....

Thanks for any help
3dcrashteam is online now Find More Posts by 3dcrashteam
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2014, 09:16 PM
Balsa addiction since age 3
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,241 Posts
Add in a throttle -> Elevator mix.... More down elevator with throttle application.

Then worry about aileron and rudder doing the same thing (adding to mixer)... Are you sure you don't have a warp somewhere to cause the roll/turn?

Scott
ScottSails is online now Find More Posts by ScottSails
Old Jul 14, 2014, 10:09 PM
Greeley, Colorado, USA
Joined Feb 2000
2,823 Posts
You may have the model balanced with a very forward CG.
This would also mean you have a large decalage angle between the wing and stab, causing the extreme pitch up under power.
Have you tried doing a dive test to see how the model reacts to speed with the motor off?

Lenny
Lenny970 is offline Find More Posts by Lenny970
Old Jul 14, 2014, 10:20 PM
Old Prop Buster
United States, CA, Grass Valley
Joined Dec 2009
675 Posts
Here is a good explanation of the dive test that I read today over in the Sailplane Talk thread. Maybe this will help you figure it out.
http://www.fatlion.com/sailplanes/divetesting.html
Gary
Sir Dumb Thumb is offline Find More Posts by Sir Dumb Thumb
Old Jul 14, 2014, 10:20 PM
United States, WA, Tumwater
Joined May 2010
260 Posts
If it takes full down, something is wrong and a mix is just a band aid. Thrust angle, decolage, c.g
something is off. Make sure the wing and motor are in line or some down thrust in the motor. then check the horizontal. I will bet the horizontal is very positive or there is up trim to compensate for a forward c.g. Many manufacturers spec a very forward c.g. which requires the tail to hold the nose up with excess trim or decolage. Then when the glider accelerates with the motor on it climbs.
Mark Anderson is offline Find More Posts by Mark Anderson
Old Jul 15, 2014, 08:14 PM
Father & Son Crashing together
United States, NC, Hickory
Joined May 2014
29 Posts
Thank you guys very much...Im heading to the field tomorrow morning to try the dive test, and look everything over closely.... Thanks again for all the helpful hints. I will let you know what I find...
3dcrashteam is online now Find More Posts by 3dcrashteam
Old Jul 15, 2014, 08:33 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,599 Posts
Hi, 3dcrashteam.

I have the smaller ST ASW28 and. since I bent the stock motor shaft, I added a couple degrees of down thrust. If you do end up pushing the cg back do it in small increments like 1-2mm at a time. An ASW with the cg too far aft can get really nasty! How do you think I bent the motor shaft?
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh