HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:44 AM
darn you, kakka carrot cake.
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2012
1,018 Posts
Discussion
help me convert my eRC micro stik

SO, finally the old bird broke, it was the last thing i expected to break on this thing. well it didnt really break, a gear for the servo popped out and its far to small to go looking for it. i was thinking about completely taking off the circuit board and servos and putting in place, 2 5 gram hextronix, a 20 amp brushed esc and a receiver for my "spectrum dx11". i have all those parts in a box somewhere. il use the stock battery and motor/prop. what do you think? to heavy? should i go with a 2 cell or will it burn out the tiny motor.

i really put this bird through a LOT of crap, crashing it more times than i can count, crashing it into a salty pool, loosing it on a roof. defenatly an amazing plane. eRC just needed to glue in the rods that hold in the gears better ahaha

i was only joking about my spektrum dx11, its actually a flysky 4 channel with spektrum stickers and Popsicle switches and knobs on it.
derpron is offline Find More Posts by derpron
Last edited by derpron; Dec 02, 2012 at 04:23 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:17 AM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,104 Posts
2s would kill it quickly. Having been thru this with a mates micro stik, its just not worth it. It lived up to its claim of teaching you to fly before you killed it. Let it go and move on.
scirocco is offline Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:30 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2012
1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
2s would kill it quickly. Having been thru this with a mates micro stik, its just not worth it. It lived up to its claim of teaching you to fly before you killed it. Let it go and move on.
its just 1 gear. thats the only reason why im considering this. but you can only get that gear if you buy a replacement board which is like 30 bucks.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:58 AM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by colj00 View Post
its just 1 gear. thats the only reason why im considering this. but you can only get that gear if you buy a replacement board which is like 30 bucks.
And that was why we gave it a decent burial. $30 can buy you all the electronics for a more capable versatile model - and of course they're reusable
scirocco is offline Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Dec 02, 2012, 02:12 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2012
1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
And that was why we gave it a decent burial. $30 can buy you all the electronics for a more capable versatile model - and of course they're reusable
NO im gonna do it. the conversion process is underway. wish me luck.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 03:17 AM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,766 Posts
i say you should look at the ar6400. two linear servos, 2 amp brushed ESC and 6ch rx.
horizonhobby.com has the new DSMX version.
this one is 'unoffical' dsm2 version

http://www.targethobby.com/ar6400-ds...p-4162189.html
seems to work fine, but servos a bit slower and more jittery.

if you want to keep the stock motor (7mm geared?) use 1s only. 2 will burn it out.

the rest of this stuff comes from hobbyking.com

if you want 2S, you might look at these:
2S 3.1 gram motor
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=9664

2S esc
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=4318

for servos, at this weight (30~50 gram) if you want rotary id go with
1.88 grams
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=17540

or 2.5 grams
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=14839

and there is a 3A 1S brushed esc, 1.5 grams or so
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=11885

the esc is great. ive soldered mine more times than i can count and still going strong. cheapskape that i am, i think its worth the 10 price tag.

mind you this is china, so expect 2~4 weeks delivery. registered is about 2 week to me, unregistered is 2-3, and EMS shipping takes 10 days, but only 3 in transit.
all this to yuma, AZ.
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Dec 02, 2012, 03:25 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,623 Posts
Well if you are going to convert it weight is the number one consideration. A 20A ESC and 2s power would be totally, massively, ridiculously over the top. The added weight would ruin the plane and the power would tear it to pieces

20A on 2s is about 150W... On a plane that's intended to weigh 31g....think about it for a minute

The only realistic option for a plane like this is another all in one 'brick' type controller, or if using stand alone components the very lightest stuff available, but either option is likely to prove uneconomic.
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Dec 02, 2012, 03:31 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemoskull View Post
i say you should look at the ar6400. two linear servos, 2 amp brushed ESC and 6ch rx.
horizonhobby.com has the new DSMX version.
this one is 'unoffical' dsm2 version

http://www.targethobby.com/ar6400-ds...p-4162189.html
seems to work fine, but servos a bit slower and more jittery.
Good find!.. that looks like the cheapest way to get the plane back in the air, plus if makes it Spektrum compatible!
Old Dec 02, 2012, 03:40 AM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,766 Posts
yeah, binds fine with the dx5e. jury is still out if its any good. but i hear of very few actual bad reports.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 04:07 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2012
1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Well if you are going to convert it weight is the number one consideration. A 20A ESC and 2s power would be totally, massively, ridiculously over the top. The added weight would ruin the plane and the power would tear it to pieces

20A on 2s is about 150W... On a plane that's intended to weigh 31g....think about it for a minute

The only realistic option for a plane like this is another all in one 'brick' type controller, or if using stand alone components the very lightest stuff available, but either option is likely to prove uneconomic.
haha well i just did the conversion, and my ESC rejects the normal 1 cell battery's that i was planning to use, when i connected the 1s, the battery got really bloody hot and the motor was spinning on its own. i sh*t myself but the realized what i had done. looks like il have to buy a tiny 2s capable motor. the plane now weighs (with everything except the new motor and battery) 57 grams which is double what it was before. but on the up side, it will take gusts much better and will have plenty of power.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 04:08 AM
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,766 Posts
reinforce the wing. try tape or CF. dont want to fold in midflight!
Old Dec 02, 2012, 06:54 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,623 Posts
The motor you have 'should' handle 2s if you prop down.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:09 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2012
1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
The motor you have 'should' handle 2s if you prop down.
no ive just bought a 5 gram brushless.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:08 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,623 Posts
Thought you just said you were using a brushed ESC?

And what are you using for an Rx?

Steve
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:04 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,410 Posts
Well, this should be interesting.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀