HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 29, 2011, 03:22 PM
Palm Bay, FL
Joined Nov 2005
173 Posts
Does anyone know what the servo specs are?
I'm putting together a kit and I need to get
servos and a motor. Sounds like a 4000mah
pack is the sweet spot. Anybody using a
different than stock motor that they really
like???

Larry
grnd0 is offline Find More Posts by grnd0
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2011, 03:33 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,729 Posts
I don't know the servo specs but I replaced mine... they didn't center well and I didn't trust them.
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2011, 05:28 PM
Palm Bay, FL
Joined Nov 2005
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Then View Post
I don't know the servo specs but I replaced mine... they didn't center well and I didn't trust them.
What did you use?
Old Sep 29, 2011, 06:53 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,663 Posts
Grnd0,

I replaced my aileron & elevator servos with Hitec HS65mg. Believe they run about $28-$30 a servo. Also replaced the nose gear servo with a 9g tower pro TP-MG90 $8 servo. I left the thrust vector servos stock. It adds up fast but I believe it's worth the added security, as I haven't had a problem yet. It ain't a cheap plane.
v8truckin is online now Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:58 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grnd0 View Post
Does anyone know what the servo specs are?
I'm putting together a kit and I need to get
servos and a motor. Sounds like a 4000mah
pack is the sweet spot. Anybody using a
different than stock motor that they really
like???

Larry
I'm using the stock motor & esc , but I just recently disabled the stock bec n added a cc bec. The stock esc was getting hot & I was gonna replace the stock esc with a hobbywing pro 100a esc with the cc bec, but adding a seperate bec did the job. I have the hobbywing esc sitting in the drawer n will eventually add it or I will just fly this plane till it bites the dust since I have another kit sitting in the closet. She's still going strong! Again best plane I've ever flown... Enjoy!!!
Old Sep 30, 2011, 07:47 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,729 Posts
Quote:
What did you use?
Sorry, that would have been helpful, wouldn't it? I'm using Hitec HS-65HB "Karbonite" servos on both the ailerons and elevators. $22 each from Tower Hobbies but you might be able to find them a little cheaper if you search around. High-quality servos make it seem and feel like a whole new plane... trust me.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2011, 08:34 AM
Palm Bay, FL
Joined Nov 2005
173 Posts
I was looking at the diagram of the servos and it
shows 4 of them being reverse direction. If you
changed out some of those didn't you have a
direction problem? I'm ready to get some and
not sure if I need to get some reverse direction.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 09:02 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,729 Posts
Quote:
I was looking at the diagram of the servos and it
shows 4 of them being reverse direction. If you
changed out some of those didn't you have a
direction problem? I'm ready to get some and
not sure if I need to get some reverse direction.
Yes, one of the servos for the elevators will need to be a reverse servo. If you have a radio and receiver with enough channels, you can mix it on the transmitter. If not, just buy a servo reverser. That's what I'm using and it works fine. I used one of these (don't remember which one) - http://search.horizonhobby.com/index...d=132BAA1575A6. Either way, they are less than $10.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2011, 09:52 AM
Pointy end at the front.
Joined Aug 2009
663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
How bad was the damage? What/how much did u have to repair?
Not much actually. I ran out of juice on the go around. Carrying that go pro did effect how much power it needed to keep speed up. it didnt glide much at all, losing the power was like putting airbrakes up. It went in hard and flat, and with the freakin gear down! broke the nose off and punched all retracts up into the plywood mounts. This did not break the retracts at all. This is more pilot error more than anything else, we always loose our power in the wrong place! and i should have kept the flight short with all that drag, i should have known. ANYway all i needed to do was make new plywood retract mounts (easy), glue them in, mount my retracts again and glue the nose back on the break was so clean that you dont notice it. I smashed the nose gear doors to kingdom come so im thinking ill make them fixed, have the gear go up into a slot and seal the gap with soft foam or something that may let the gear move in and out freely, experimentation. The retract was replaced earlier form another incident where the steering linkage fell off the servo, but thats another story

I did post the vid of this early on, but i cut the vid short somehow trying to do the editing so its just 4 mins of flying around with not much happening at all. Sorry
benjo is offline Find More Posts by benjo
Old Sep 30, 2011, 10:37 AM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,663 Posts
Sorry to hear that, I had a similar incident. I added the larger drop tanks under the wings 1 day n did not account for the added drag, took about 30 sec off my usual flight time. Luckily I was over a dirt area but still broke the main retract mounts n 1 main gear. She sure can take a beating. Hope u get her back up soon.

Just n FYI to all looking for wheel replacements. I was using dubro sport wheels on the nose & mains, but the dubro on the mains were to skinny while the dubro sports I had on the nose were perfect. N e how I had spare habu wheels lyin around n they fit perfectly on the mains. Same size width & axle dia. The hardest part about findin wheels is the axle dia. Hope this helps. Not sure if they sell em solo with out the added stuff, but still pretty cheap.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ7006
Old Sep 30, 2011, 10:54 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Joined Apr 2001
6,729 Posts
That's what I did wtih my gear doors... glued them in place and then cut a slot for the wheels/gear/servo arm to operate freely. Had to do that because the bigger wheels wouldn't allow the gear doors to close. Next time, I'll just make an opening for the wheels and keep the gear doors operating. But I'm not complaining... I know gear doors can be fussy.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2011, 05:15 PM
Living The Dream in Bris Vegas
Joined Oct 2010
400 Posts
Repair is possible

Here some post crash and post repair pics of my little incident..
ohaussie is offline Find More Posts by ohaussie
Old Sep 30, 2011, 06:26 PM
Palm Bay, FL
Joined Nov 2005
173 Posts
Nice fix!!!
Old Sep 30, 2011, 07:09 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
4,003 Posts
All it takes is time, patience and skills! The bird's a phoenix
fredmdbud is offline Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Old Oct 01, 2011, 08:09 AM
Burlington On
Joined Aug 2006
77 Posts
Hi everone:I replaced my wheels by using thick CA to glue brass fuel tube over existing axles- then drill out new wheel hubs to fit over the brass tube! Cheers
PRITZ is offline Find More Posts by PRITZ