Numeric 9 47.37%
Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:46 PM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
The line underneath is still well ahead of the C/G though. Maybe when I get the plans they'll shed some light.
Tango Juliet is offline Find More Posts by Tango Juliet
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:20 PM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
4,076 Posts
That's a common nose-hook, very similar to the way they did it on the Schweitzer sailplanes. Works OK for aero, winch or auto tows.
Don Stackhouse is online now Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:42 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango Juliet View Post
OK, that's cool! It may not be one of the most beautiful woodies, but they were prolific. Hopefully slow translates to thermalability . Maybe you can answer a question I've got already. On the very nose of the aircraft appears to be a receiver for a tow line, usually covered with a cap of some sort on the ground, but I've seen photos of them being towed with the line connected underneath the fuse near the skid. What gives?
What Don said. Nose release of aerotow, CG release for bridle/winch. Get Keith (KWMTRUBRIT) on here for first hand expereience. He was doing the FS winch glider flying in the UK version of High School/
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:24 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,321 Posts
BoT cheater update: the joiners are laminated and shaped to fit each wing. Time to do the servos and pushrods. So close......

Interesting scalie, TJ. Ambitious.
Lil Stinkpot is online now Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:22 AM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Looks like it's going to be a great project TJ. I'm looking forward to some progress reports. I actually like the lines of the Seddy. DO you happen to know which airfoil they used for the model?
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:51 AM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
As of now, I don't know a whole lot about the aircraft, other than it was in service with the Royal Air Force for many years, then they were auctioned off in the 80's to flying clubs around the world. So there've been thousands who've flown them.

If you don't know, Chris Williams, the scale plans designer, is a pretty well known name across the pond when it comes to scale sailplanes. I found videos done by him on youtube (he's quite the videographer/editor also) and that's what got me interested in a big scale bird (I've always been excited by scale, but not so much the sailplanes before now). I really want to build a big gull wing, but for now, I think the T21 is a good start.

Here's one of Chris' videos:
SPALINGER REPRISE.wmv (3 min 39 sec)
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:58 AM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,081 Posts
Yeah, Chris Williams is a legend.

Again, Keith needs to share his experiences concerning these vintage designs. He lived and breathed those very same gliders in his youth. In fact TJ, next time Keith and his bride come down to Dauphin Island maybe we can all get together. I'll even choke down some of that vile beer you guys love so much.
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:19 AM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,501 Posts
TJ

I'm with you on the big gull wing sailplanes, they all look great. They are what inspired me to build the 3M Raven by Mike Smart. If I had nice big grassy slopes where I live I would eventually add one of these majestic sailplanes to my growing collection of planes but for now I don't have a good place to fly something like that. If you build one I will watch.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:40 AM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
I don't have any big, grassy slopes either, so I'll need to find a tow pilot .

Sean, believe it or not, Keith PM'd me a couple of days ago asking about a mutual friend that he and I have here in Mobile. I'm sure he'll chime in at some point. I know he's been following my Sky Bird build.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:37 AM
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanpcola View Post
I'll even choke down some of that vile beer you guys love so much.
Vile Beer? This from the guy that drinks a beer that tastes like it came out of the south end of a north bound burro! Corona should be sued for false advertising for even claiming it's beer! Besides Sean... you stated yourself that you liked our types of beers better after the second or third one. That in itself shows that they grow on ya! (or you're just to drunk to care at that point) But I do have to give you credit for the fact that a least you're not drinking Coors Lite or Bud. We'd have to disown you if you were.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:40 AM
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
TJ... What's the span on the Seddy work out to be at 1/3.5? I just woke up so I don't feel like doing math this early.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:16 AM
Joined Mar 2008
638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaflock View Post
Vile Beer? This from the guy that drinks a beer that tastes like it came out of the south end of a north bound burro! Corona should be sued for false advertising for even claiming it's beer! Besides Sean... you stated yourself that you liked our types of beers better after the second or third one. That in itself shows that they grow on ya! (or you're just to drunk to care at that point) But I do have to give you credit for the fact that a least you're not drinking Coors Lite or Bud. We'd have to disown you if you were.

lulz
Cap_n_Dave is offline Find More Posts by Cap_n_Dave
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:33 AM
On Hiatus.
Mobile, AL
Joined Aug 2006
1,213 Posts
Scaflock, if I recall correctly (without going to the website again) it's 185". That's the only thing about the Traplet plans website, there were three thumbnails for this aircraft plan. Two were the same price, but the descriptions were slightly different, and they all were sparse in their description. There were some other scale plans by other designers, but because I recognized Chris Williams name from seeing his videos, I felt safe that I was getting a good plan.

Corona!? Mexican monkey p*ss in a bottle! I wouldn't drink that if it was free... well, maybe I would . My preferred barley pops are darker ales (Sam Adams, Yuengling, and the like), but I've also grown fond of a few porters and stouts. I never have developed a taste for hard liquor though, except maybe an occasional shot of Ouzo (a former Greek Girlfriend got me started with that).
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:54 PM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
4,076 Posts
My favorite beer is root beer, such as A&W, or BK (a local brand). That other stuff all tastes like earwax, and smells like squashed bugs to me.

I'm already crazy enough when I'm sober!
Don Stackhouse is online now Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:46 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,792 Posts
On that old Seddy, the wing is very high. With line angles, and the fact that they were pretty conservative with the tow-hook location as to the CG... it works OK. If I remember, from the single, 2-hour flight, on aerotow, we had to hold a lot of down elevator... Again, that's if I remember... I AM old, after all...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman