166 Posts
Thanks for the link. I guess I didn't use my head
Barnikal is offline Find More Posts by Barnikal
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2011, 10:44 AM
Joined Jun 2009
73 Posts
Yardbird wing question

Id like to start building the wing to either the Yardbird or the Houston Hawk as I like them both, can anyone provide any feedback on the design change between the two? is one stronger, fly better etc. I will be building a wood fuse for my project, Has anyone done similar? Thanks in advance.
CraigaSOARus54 is offline Find More Posts by CraigaSOARus54
Old May 24, 2011, 01:08 AM
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Nov 2003
157 Posts
My advice in building the YB is that you should use spruce for the mid-panel spars. Jack Womack says get the hardest balsa you can for the spars, but believe me, just do spruce--otherwise you'll be building the wing twice like I did. Otherwise, it's a great flying bird.
rnshagam is offline Find More Posts by rnshagam
Old May 24, 2011, 10:22 AM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,792 Posts
Yep... just use spruce...

Wow... lots of interest in my woodies these days... and my shop is not even started...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Sep 08, 2011, 09:48 PM
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Nov 2007
166 Posts
New Yardbird II

Yardbird II built on a Art Hobby High Aspect Fuse and using Bubble Dancer tail feathers. So I guess it could be called a High Aspect Yardbubble.

All up weight 49.2 oz First flight 26 min. I now fly the Yardbird as well as a Houston Hawk
Barnikal is offline Find More Posts by Barnikal
Old Sep 09, 2011, 12:46 AM
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Nov 2003
157 Posts
E-Yardbird

As long as someone else has a YB to show off, I might as well brag about my latest mod to my Yardbird that I completed a few months ago: Got another Art Hobby High Aspect E-fuse and stuck a HobbyKing NTM3548-1100 motor in the nose, a HK Plush 60 amp controller, Zippy 2200 mah 3S 20C battery, and a 9/5(?) prop to draw about 35 A. All up weight is about 60 oz. The plane launches pretty good, making it to 200 m in 25 seconds--good enough for our ABQ Rules F5J unlimited class.

My only problem is that on two flights I forgot sometimes to pull the antenna out of my TX, as I've been switching most of my planes over to 2.4--but not this one (yet!!!). Made for some exciting flights--luckily no damage.
rnshagam is offline Find More Posts by rnshagam
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:27 PM
United States, MD, Lutherville-Timonium
Joined Apr 2012
888 Posts
Possible wooden fuselage

Please excuse the cross post but If anyone is interested, I was experimenting over the weekend with a prototype wooden fuselage to work with the Yardbird. I am not an engineer, just a fairly long in the tooth modeler so it's a 'use at own risk design.' I have not built this, only drawn it up and hope to get some comments from the community.

It's based on an unofficial fuselage design I am working on for Jack's Houston Hawk and also is related to the Sagitta approach (lite ply, nose hatch block, etc.) I free-handed the fin/rudder lines by eye, so it's not quite right, but the idea is there. It has a 9" root chord but even that is flexible--the wing bolt formers need to be located per the wing drillings so that is still in the works in this plan.

** It came to my attention after drawing up the fuselage and posting for suggestions here that it looked quite a lot like the Genie. I hadn't known of that plane before that comment by dion9146 and another by lincoln on a different thread but I see it is true. As such, I have taken down that version and replaced it with one that is not so Genie-like. It can be found in a later post in this thread (#527).

Bill
wingloada is online now Find More Posts by wingloada
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by wingloada; Oct 05, 2012 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Design change
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:12 PM
Joined Apr 2012
888 Posts
Te?

Hi Jack,

I just received a set of plans for the Yardbird. Beautiful plane!

Do you still recommend the TE approach that is drawn (a sheet on top and a sheet on the bottom with the rib extending to the edge of the TE within) or do you use another, more solid approach now, as I have seen in some posts here? If the latter, does the Mountain Models Yardbird short kit cut the ribs that way?

Thanks for your design and thanks for your help.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:13 PM
United States, KY, La Grange
Joined Feb 2006
1,769 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingloada View Post
Please excuse the cross post but If anyone is interested, I was experimenting over the weekend with a prototype wooden fuselage to work with the Yardbird. I am not an engineer, just a fairly long in the tooth modeler so it's a 'use at own risk design.' I have not built this, only drawn it up and hope to get some comments from the community.

It's based on an unofficial fuselage design I am working on for Jack's Houston Hawk and also is related to the Sagitta approach (lite ply, nose hatch block, etc.) I free-handed the fin/rudder lines by eye, so it's not quite right, but the idea is there. It has a 9" root chord but even that is flexible--the wing bolt formers need to be located per the wing drillings so that is still in the works in this plan.

All comments/suggestions for improvement are welcome.

http://wkleinsasser.net/download/Yar...e_fuselage.pdf

Bill
Looks like a Genie.

Here is my wood/CF/wood fuselage Yardbird.
dion9146 is offline Find More Posts by dion9146
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Gull plan pics
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:06 PM
Joined Apr 2012
888 Posts
"Looks like a Genie."

Yes, I was given a link to the Genie a few days ago. I hadn't seen it before but the drop nose is shared.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:07 AM
United States, KY, La Grange
Joined Feb 2006
1,769 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I love the drop nose look of the Genie fuselage. That's why I built one. But even your construction plans look like you and Harley sat down next to each other and started designing.

http://augiemckibben.tripod.com/site...010_traced.pdf

I think it will look good under a set of Yardbird wings!
dion9146 is offline Find More Posts by dion9146
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Gull plan pics
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:25 PM
Joined Apr 2012
888 Posts
Wow. I'll take that as a compliment. I had not seen nor heard of the Genie when I drew these up last week (I have been away from the hobby for 20 years). It is based on my experience with the Sagitta and dozens of other planes I built years ago. I guess there are only so many ways to make a wooden fuselage! I hope I have not given the impression of taking someone's design. That did not happen and if it seems to be a problem I'd be happy to take down the drawing. Should I do that?

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:41 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingloada View Post
Hi Jack,

I just received a set of plans for the Yardbird. Beautiful plane!

Do you still recommend the TE approach that is drawn (a sheet on top and a sheet on the bottom with the rib extending to the edge of the TE within) or do you use another, more solid approach now, as I have seen in some posts here? If the latter, does the Mountain Models Yardbird short kit cut the ribs that way?

Thanks for your design and thanks for your help.

Bill
Yes, built per plans is the best... and lightest...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
Old Oct 04, 2012, 06:34 PM
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Jun 2012
157 Posts
Yardbird Kit

Is there one in the works? Where would one get the plans if not?

Thanks, sorry to pester.
Fickle flier is offline Find More Posts by Fickle flier
Old Oct 04, 2012, 06:38 PM
Duane
No. VA
Joined Nov 2004
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fickle flier View Post
Is there one in the works? Where would one get the plans if not?
Mountain Models has a short kit with plans.
Wazmo is online now Find More Posts by Wazmo