SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 08, 2005, 12:01 PM
DS
Belgium
Joined Sep 2001
301 Posts
Easystar with ailerons anyone ?

Has anyone tried cutting ailerons in the EasyStar ?
I was wondering if it would be possible to convert it to ailerons ?
Any thoughts anyone ?
DS is offline Find More Posts by DS
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2005, 01:51 PM
SlopeHead
Lisboa, Portugal
Joined Jan 2004
2,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS
Any thoughts anyone ?
I have done it for my slope club's training plane (together with other mods, specially extended wings). My main advice is cut out the Elapor and put in balsa ailerons. Elapor ailerons are not stiff enough.
If I did it today I would have installed the aileron servos on top of the wing, not under it.
The result when flying is that the EasyStar becomes more responsive with power off, rudder is not needed except if you catch a thermal. However, the wing will still not allow axial rolls and it does not even allow a half roll to inverted. The final result is precisely the same as extending the rudder...

I would wait for the EasyGlider from Multiplex, the profile may make it easier...
jcosta is offline Find More Posts by jcosta
Old Feb 08, 2005, 03:17 PM
DS
Belgium
Joined Sep 2001
301 Posts
Thanks for the info jcosta.
The whole point of converting it to ailerons was a trainer for my pupil. He needs to start practising solo landings ... hence a pusher aileron ship. The easyglider has the motor in the nose.
We learned on a aileron-modified Terry and all went well, except for the landings. The nose is really fragile on the Terry.

I guess you used dual servos for the ailerons ? Don't know if a single servo setup could be possible in the Easystar (it was on the Terry).
DS is offline Find More Posts by DS
Old Feb 08, 2005, 03:23 PM
SlopeHead
Lisboa, Portugal
Joined Jan 2004
2,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS
Thanks for the info jcosta.
The whole point of converting it to ailerons was a trainer for my pupil. He needs to start practising solo landings ... hence a pusher aileron ship. The easyglider has the motor in the nose.
We learned on a aileron-modified Terry and all went well, except for the landings. The nose is really fragile on the Terry.

I guess you used dual servos for the ailerons ? Don't know if a single servo setup could be possible in the Easystar (it was on the Terry).
The motor in the nose with a folding prop is no more prone to damage than a pusher. And it's impossible to have the EasyStar ailerons with a single servo.
But the EasyStar is not the ideal model for learning how to land, it lands by itself... My 9 year old daughter landed it on her first flight, by simply aligning it with the landing area and leaving the sticks alone...
jcosta is offline Find More Posts by jcosta
Old Feb 08, 2005, 05:01 PM
EDF addict
Friedrichshafen, Germany
Joined Jan 2005
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS
Any thoughts anyone ?

Hi

You should find some inspiration on this fine site: http://easystar.detract-online.de/
Just click on modifications and you'll find some examples.

HTH

cu Steffen
-PaX- is online now Find More Posts by -PaX-
Old Feb 08, 2005, 09:25 PM
Cincinnati
Joined Jul 2004
616 Posts
I have modified my EasyStar with ailerons that are 14 inches wide (each) and made from 1 1/2 balsa aileron stock. A Hitec HS-55 servo drives each one. On high rates, I can do axial rolls, but they are fairly slow. With a bit of down elevator through the mid part of the roll, altitude stays fairly constant. The roll rate is still quite slow, considering the size and deflection of the ailerons! They make inverted flight a LOT easier, and control response is fairly constant, rather than being linked strongly to throttle position (due to airflow over the tail surfaces). I also replaced the stock rudder with a piece of the same balsa aileron material, and it helps rudder functionality too. Next step is to consider a motor upgrade....

Mike H.
Cincy, OH
Dynomike is offline Find More Posts by Dynomike