HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2013, 12:39 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2012
57 Posts
Discussion
Gear mesh / spur gear nasty sound

It's been a long time but I've managed to finally bash that Rustler again. However I noticed that there's a nasty sound coming from the spur gear and it's becoming worse by every bash it gets.

I set up the gear mesh as suggested in the manual, with a piece of paper, and there's a weird sound when the gear touches about 5-6 teeth of the spur gear.

I made a video of it and hopefully someone can direct me to the best way of solving this issue.

Rustler VXL gear mesh / spur gear problem (1 min 39 sec)

Thanks.
cristian9509 is offline Find More Posts by cristian9509
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2013, 02:43 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,889 Posts
Sounds a lot like some damaged teeth on the spur. You could try setting the gear mesh a fraction more loose, or use a different method. As alternative I tend to loosen the set screw on the pinion just enough to make the pinion turn freely on the motor axle. That way, you won't feel the motor's resistance, and this makes it easier to notice subtle differences in resistance as you turn the wheels.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
Old Mar 02, 2013, 02:48 PM
Joined Dec 2012
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan View Post
Sounds a lot like some damaged teeth on the spur. You could try setting the gear mesh a fraction more loose, or use a different method. As alternative I tend to loosen the set screw on the pinion just enough to make the pinion turn freely on the motor axle. That way, you won't feel the motor's resistance, and this makes it easier to notice subtle differences in resistance as you turn the wheels.
The weird thing is that there's no visible damage on the spur's teeth.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 06:20 PM
uk
Joined Nov 2010
418 Posts
the gear mesh is still too tight. At first i thought the spur wasn't sitting correct but on some of the video frames you can see the mesh is too tight.
traxx de maxx is offline Find More Posts by traxx de maxx
Old Mar 03, 2013, 09:04 AM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,901 Posts
You can see that the gear is either out of round or the gear isn't centered on the input shaft correctly, there's an obvious wobble to it. If it was just the mesh being too tight it wouldn't make the sound pulsed like that as the spur rotates.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Mar 03, 2013, 09:38 AM
uk
Joined Nov 2010
418 Posts
thats what i thought at first, but the bits that i could see it's very tight.
Then thought it was just the camera shake or rc vibrating that made the spur look like it was wobbling slightly
Old Mar 03, 2013, 02:45 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,901 Posts
If you watch the top of the spur vs the motor mounting plate you can see that the gear is most definitely wobbling compared to the surroundings.

If it was just the mesh being too tight it would make the same sound constantly, not varying as the spur rotates.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Mar 03, 2013, 03:14 PM
uk
Joined Nov 2010
418 Posts
the motor isn't secured check 38-48secs.Mainly 45sec. It's being pushed tight against the spur so it looks like the spur wobbles, which it is, but becuase of the pinion pushing it up to it's opposite corner. That's the varying noise. It's tight then loosens.
Last edited by traxx de maxx; Mar 03, 2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 03:48 PM
Joined Dec 2012
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by traxx de maxx View Post
the motor isn't secured check 38-48secs.Mainly 45sec. It's being pushed tight against the spur so it looks like the spur wobbles, which it is, but becuase of the pinion pushing it up to it's opposite corner. That's the varying noise. It's tight then loosens.
You are right, the motor wasn't secured during that seconds. However, that was made on purpose. I had loosen the motor screws, gave it a steady throttle, and started to push the motor/pinion away from the spur until the gear mesh was not giving the nasty sound. That makes the sound coming from there much more bearable.

Anyway, there's something wrong with the spur. As you guys said, its either not centered properly on the slipper pads thing or its just not perfect round. For me it feels like the problem teeth have a bit more plastic on them than the other.

For now I'll set up my gear mesh by sound, while the pinion is spinning until i find a solution for this. I would not want to buy a new spur since this one does not have a lot of runs.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 06:17 PM
uk
Joined Nov 2010
418 Posts
is there supposed to be something between the spring and bearing. Them springs aren't that good. I changed the one on the maxx to a belleville spring.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 07:47 PM
Joined Dec 2012
57 Posts
Quote:
is there supposed to be something between the spring and bearing. Them springs aren't that good. I changed the one on the maxx to a belleville spring.
I checked the manual and there should be nothing between the bearing and spring.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 05:54 AM
uk
Joined Nov 2010
418 Posts
have you tried the spring the opposite way around, i'm sure mine was flatter on one end.
Old Mar 06, 2013, 08:56 AM
Joined Dec 2012
57 Posts
Quote:
have you tried the spring the opposite way around, i'm sure mine was flatter on one end.
The spring is the same on both ends!