SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:06 PM
Balsa addiction since age 3
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,253 Posts
Post pictures of yourself and plane right after you have nailed your first thermal.... If you are not smiling then you need a new hobby
ScottSails is offline Find More Posts by ScottSails
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:31 PM
Joined Jan 2013
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSails View Post
Post pictures of yourself and plane right after you have nailed your first thermal.... If you are not smiling then you need a new hobby
To be honest i am quite confident i will smile since i am, more or less, constantly smiling when i cruise around with my pretty slow and sluggish Apprentice.

//Faap
Faap is offline Find More Posts by Faap
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:49 PM
AMA7224 LSF1832
Joined Sep 2008
3,495 Posts
Quote:
It never gets old,I still get the wows when I find that invisable magic carpet and start circling even after all this time flying. I've tried just about all kinds of model flying but have always had a sailplane of some flavour and always come back to soaring. Working a bubble at 150 foot or riding from thermal to thermal on the big streets at 2500 foot, it's all fun. If it don't make you smile there's always crochet, javelin catching,caber tossing,hurling firey tarballs with a
trébuchet.........................
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:21 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faap View Post
Cheers.

I want to get a new radio and after searching the forums and reading some posts i feel more confused than before to be honest and would really appreciate some help.

At first i was kind of wearing blinders and just looked at upgrading to a new Spektrum but this forum has taught me that there are other radio-manufacturers which really is making my choice so much harder.
I have looked at the Futaba 8FG, JR's x9503 and the Airtronics SD-10G primarily. The question is which too choose and why...

I have never programmed a radio (for flying that is, i used to drive nitro cars but those were "a little" easier to program i think) so i really have no idea what features to look for or which radios can and can't do different things. The reasons i have looked at the mentioned radios are that people have mentioned them as "good radios" in other threads plus the fact that i like how they look.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
//Faap

There are a million choices and if budget is not a consideration, and if you have no brand loyalties, then any of those will serve you well for gliders, e-gliders and just about anything else short of giant scale or highly detailed scale aircraft where you can never find enough channels. ( The Futaba 8FG does have 14 channels)

All the terms people are using that you don't know can be so confusing. Flight conditions and such, what does that mean? And why would you care?

These two articles may help.

How to select your first radio
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post23710682

There are some additional resources in the posts after the second article.

> Choosing a Sailplane Radio - What to Consider
http://www.flyesl.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=223
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Feb 11, 2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:53 AM
Joined Jan 2013
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
There are a million choices and if budget is not a consideration, and if you have no brand loyalties, then any of those will serve you well for gliders, e-gliders and just about anything else short of giant scale or highly detailed scale aircraft where you can never find enough channels. ( The Futaba 8FG does have 14 channels).
Thanks for the reply aeajr.

I have actually read those posts before so thanks for adding to the confusion.

From i gathered this far, what matters is ergonomics and availability.
Availability is zero when it comes to local stores and because of that i can't really try any out and check out the ergonomics either. I guess what is needed is a leap of faith and just making up my mind. At the moment i am leaning towards the Airtronics. Based on what people writes on this forum it seems like a radio that makes programming pretty easy and the manual somewhat seems to support this.

//Faap
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:07 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,453 Posts
I know competition sailplane pilots who have the Airtronics SD10G and they LOVE it! I am sure you will too.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:44 AM
USA, IL, Naperville
Joined Feb 2003
857 Posts
I have flown full-house sailplanes with Futaba 9C, JR 9303 and Airtronics SD-10G. I found the Airtronic by far the easiest to program. YMMV.
John Walter is offline Find More Posts by John Walter
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:43 PM
Joined Aug 2010
359 Posts
Quote:
I know competition sailplane pilots who have the Airtronics SD10G and they LOVE it! I am sure you will too.
In fact recent world champions use the 10 G BUT unless you are really into competition it is overkill for the Radian Pro.

If you have the DX 5G you can still fly the Radian Pro and like aircraft "full house" Put the flaps on the throttle set the mechanics so that when the stick is full up the flaps are in the reflex position when the stick is full down you have full flaps. Put the throttle on the landing gear switch (full throttle or full off.) That leaves ailerons on a Y connector on them then rudder and elevator on the other sticks. Don't like full motor on and off? Put the throttle on the stick and use landing gear switch for full flaps only. Crow is pretty useless on the Radian. The problem with the DX5 is you cannot set endpoints nor do mixes other than flaperons which you do not need unless you want to do full span ailerons and full span flaperons.

You can get all functions on 6 channels on most 6 channel radios. An Airtronics RDS8000 usually comes with 2 receivers from Hobby People for less than $300 .
really like programming? get the 9 channel from Hobby King not you wont get much help there but sailplane programming isn't that complex.

Remember do your best to KISS
tlar633 is offline Find More Posts by tlar633
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:02 PM
Joined Jan 2013
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlar633 View Post
In fact recent world champions use the 10 G BUT unless you are really into competition it is overkill for the Radian Pro.

[...]

Remember do your best to KISS
Cheers.

While i do appreciate advice, the fact that the radios i listed are overkill for a Radian Pro was not completely new to me.

If you ask a question you get different answers from different people, which is only natural. We all have different experiences and tastes. The line i choose to go down is the one where i get a radio that indeed is overkill and have something to grow into instead of getting a radio that will suit my current demands and then upgrade down the road. This is why i went through the trouble to write down what my goals, so far, are. My DX5e will not suit those goals, sadly enough.

Yeah, the KISS philosophy is splendid but i have tried and failed following it so many times that i have given up. I am kind of a failure in that aspect.

//Faap
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:06 PM
Joined Jan 2013
14 Posts
Quote:
I think, regardless of which one i choose, i will be happy with it. Considering no-one so far have said they are bad radios, but offering alternative solutions, is reassuring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Walter View Post
I have flown full-house sailplanes with Futaba 9C, JR 9303 and Airtronics SD-10G. I found the Airtronic by far the easiest to program. YMMV.
Yeah it seems most people who voice an opinion says the same.

//Faap
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:58 PM
Joined Aug 2010
359 Posts
You are absolutely right! I was just trying to offer an economical solution with the DX5. Any major brand after you learn to use it will be fine they all are great.
By the way I have Airtronics RD6000, RD5G and %RDS8000 and a DX5 If I had the cash I would buy the Airtronics 10 G and I never fly contests.
Last edited by tlar633; Feb 12, 2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:40 PM
Balsa addiction since age 3
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,253 Posts
Please look at receiver costs before buying any one radio...

Having the "option" to use non-original receivers can really help you in this hobby.

Spektrum, Futaba (FASST), Hitec (just starting) and others have this option - To my knowledge you don't have this choice with Airtronics.

Scott
ScottSails is offline Find More Posts by ScottSails
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:05 AM
Joined Aug 2010
359 Posts
true

Quote:
Please look at receiver costs before buying any one radio...

Having the "option" to use non-original receivers can really help you in this hobby.

Spektrum, Futaba (FASST), Hitec (just starting) and others have this option - To my knowledge you don't have this choice with Airtronics.

Scott
That is true but I have been using Airtronics for about 12 years (both 72MHz and 2.4 GHz) and have never even had a hiccup. I have used the DX5 3 times since Dec and have had lockouts on two occasions. Bottom line is Airtronics makes good stuff. Unfortunately the rcvrs are expensive. I get mine from Hobby People since that is the only place I have found online that sells them.
NO I AM NOT PUSHING AIRTRONICS just happens to be the one I like.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:49 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,453 Posts
You can buy Airtronics receivers in a lot of places. Here are a few.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...iver&search=Go

http://www.rchobbyexplosion.com/Airt...vers_s/433.htm

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ceiver-RDS8000

http://www.siriuselectronics.com/ind...dex&cPath=9_11

http://www.rcplanet.com/Airtronics_R...p/air92824.htm

sells Airtronics too.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:05 AM
Joined Aug 2010
359 Posts
Thanks never heard of any of those places. Except for sales I would imagine those prices would be the same.
I remember way back when you and I had this same discussion about whether to buy a simple or computer radio for just starting out in the hobby. You have come a long way since then...I haven't but I have fun anyway.