HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:17 AM
Power Upward
United States, OR, Albany
Joined Jun 2007
1,307 Posts
Okay... 7.7 grams. might be able to shave off a tenth or two with a balsa propeller, however, I don't build props very well.

George
GeorgeG97322 is online now Find More Posts by GeorgeG97322
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2013, 01:09 AM
Torn 'twixt buildin' and flyin
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2007
7,188 Posts
At one time, the Bostonian record flight time (Don't remember it exactly, but it was in excess of 7 minutes) was held by Dave Aronstein and his "Ultimate Lifting Machine" (published as a full plan in Flying Models, in May 1994). Joshua Finn has a build log of his here: http://adhillon.com/smallflyingarts/...32-what-is-it/
TheNightowl is offline Find More Posts by TheNightowl
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:08 PM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,171 Posts
I flew with Dave in Seattle in the 90's, and have several of his planes in boxes in my garage. I remember the lifting body well, and his ducted fan peanut scale jet.
maxxnut is offline Find More Posts by maxxnut
Old Feb 24, 2013, 01:50 PM
USA, IL, Wheaton
Joined Oct 2010
528 Posts
George
Great looking Celtic. The weight is really good too.

Is that an Ikara 150 mm prop? I have one and it weighs about a gram, somewhat less than the props with Sprite 2L bottle blades on my recent Bostonians. The blades are a bit narrower on the Ikara, and might work better with 3/32 rubber. I've used 1/8 rubber to pull the bottle bladed ones. Have you figured out a motor for it yet?

Is the wing covered on the bottom? From your structure, I'm figuring that the diagonals make a flat bottom for the wing once they are covered.

Have you checked the CG yet? With its relatively small tail, I don't think the CG can be as far back as on a Bostonian Patriot.

Good luck with you maiden flight

Joe
DuPageJoe is offline Find More Posts by DuPageJoe
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Trips to Gym for Indoor Flying
Old Feb 24, 2013, 08:29 PM
Power Upward
Joined Jun 2007
1,307 Posts
Well, Where to begin... It not fly so good. I set up for a righthand circle, and I did not check the CG. So... first flight was a very step stall, I mean like VTO on takeoff (hand launched for testing) So I added more down thrust. Next launch better, but not by much. Added nose weight, several times to get a better pattern. I was fighting a natural lefthand circle. So I did not get an offical flight recorded. I will reset rudder and nose block for lefthand circle and try again next contest (late April).

George
Old Feb 24, 2013, 09:03 PM
Power Upward
Joined Jun 2007
1,307 Posts
I have also got my hands on a copy of the Ultimate Lifting Machine plans and article. I was dumb-founded to see that David used a 49" loop of .090" rubber for the motor. Wow that's a lot of rubber... Oh yeah, with 4500 turns on it...

George
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:15 PM
smokey point, wash.
Joined Dec 2003
1,171 Posts
I remember him stretching that out to wind it.... I used 4300 turns in my Centurion profile to get a 4:35 flight
maxxnut is offline Find More Posts by maxxnut
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:53 AM
USA, IL, Wheaton
Joined Oct 2010
528 Posts
Nightowl
Thanks for posting the source on Aronstein's Nat's winner. I see that Carsten's/Flying Models still has the May 1994 edition available on their back issues list. Was that 98 inches total rubber for the 49 inch loop? Isn't that about 7 grams of rubber?

I've seen folks at the Bong eagles' contests at Racine getting 2 minutes out of 30 inches total of 0.080 inch rubber turning a Delta Dart prop on their Double Whammys (which have flat plate wings). When I try it, I get about 70 sec for 1500 turns in a 14 inch loop (28 inches total) of the same tan rubber. The pop bottle blade prop on my Bostonian gets 60 seconds out of 1080 turns but needs 1/8 inch for takeoff power. I've got to make my plane lighter to take on more than a 12 inch loop.

George
What width rubber are you using? The Ikara prop might be turning too fast in the power burst giving you that excess torque.

Hope you can figure it out. I went back to square one with my planform after fighting the Celtic. I've seen a great video of one flying at Marin County, so at least one Celtic flys well though.

Enjoy

Joe
DuPageJoe is offline Find More Posts by DuPageJoe
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Trips to Gym for Indoor Flying
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:03 PM
Power Upward
Joined Jun 2007
1,307 Posts
Joe,

I was testing with a 16" loop of .075 tan II. Usually about 900 turns so I don't think too much torque at this point. I really think I was chasing the lefthand circle and the CG. I might just build a new Ultimate Lifting Machine anyway

Would be nice if I had access to someplace I could test fly once in a while.

George