HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 01, 2014, 05:13 AM
Joined Sep 2014
4 Posts
Motor Shaft Free-Play

Hiya,

First post here so 'Hi' to everyone.

My QBot has finally arrived and it will be paired with the Evo 7E. After owning a Hubsan x4 for a while I wanted to go for Ladybird V1 but had a problem getting one as it seemed like they were out of stock everywhere.

Back on topic. I have a question regarding a motor shaft free-play. It's probably not the quad specific and more of a general question regarding micro-quad motors. When I was changing the canopy, I noticed that one of the motor shafts is a bit loose and it's possible to move it up and down by roughly 2mm. The rest of the motors seems to be fine and there is no play on their shafts at all.

Is this normal? Do you think this can affect anything?

Many thanks.
czajunia is offline Find More Posts by czajunia
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2014, 12:57 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,442 Posts
If the motor shaft has that amount of play. It's basically bad. Time to replace the motor.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Sep 01, 2014, 04:16 PM
Joined Sep 2014
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
If the motor shaft has that amount of play. It's basically bad. Time to replace the motor.
Thanks a lot for your answer. Really? Gosh... I just got the bird and didn't even manage to pair it properly with my Devo 7E not to mention getting any flights. Well, I managed to actually pair it following the instructions in this thread and the user manual but it looks like two of the motors spin somewhat slower than two others. Not sure if I am doing something wrong and I haven't figured out yet if I need to calibrate something or whether there are some extra settings I need to change. Back to reading I guess.

* Looks like there might have been something wrong with the settings as after resetting everything to default it seems to be working fine. Or maybe there was a problem with gyro auto calibration.

Re the motor I also posted a question on HK where I got the bird from but there have been no answers yet. Not sure if they offer me a replacement motor or if I should get one myself - they are quite cheap so it's not an issue anyway.
Last edited by czajunia; Sep 02, 2014 at 04:02 AM. Reason: Update
Old Sep 02, 2014, 04:03 AM
Joined Sep 2014
4 Posts
Motor Compatibility

Do you know if motors from other birds apart from Flysky FF120 are compatible with QBot? Cheers.
Old Sep 05, 2014, 05:17 PM
Joined Sep 2014
4 Posts
My Qbot with slightly modified canopy from UDI U816A for indoor flying. Unfortunately the original canopy was too heavy so had to trim it a little bit.

I know, I know... time to change the props
Old Sep 11, 2014, 03:38 PM
Joined Sep 2013
53 Posts
Hi!
I have ordered a Q-bot but it was lost before delivery...I'm waiting for hk to see what happened, but they say that it will take up to 8 weeks :/

So what do you think about this little toy? It flys good? And what about the multiwii port?

Thanks
mfc123 is online now Find More Posts by mfc123
Old Oct 19, 2014, 12:23 PM
Joined Mar 2013
8 Posts
Qbot vs. FF120

After owning a Qbot micro for a couple of months, I was in need of some spare parts. Eventually I bought a FF120 (banggood) since it was cheaper then buying seperate parts and paying shipping.

While the quads appear identical, the hisky FF120 doesn't fly half as good as the Qbot. It continually loses altitude for no apparent reason, so I raise the throttle until its maxed out and still the quad drops to the ground. Then it starts all over again, a little throttle makes it take off, then in mid-air it drops again and the whole process repeats. Also it's very nervous and I can hear the motors change speed continuously just to keep it level.

All in all I don't really care, I'll just use the props, motors, frame, canopy etc. to replace parts on the Qbot. But I wonder if anyone else has the same problems, or did I just get one from a bad batch. I didn't check the writing on the chips but I feel there's a different (cheaper?) gyro on the FF120 and also different firmware most likely.
patmas is offline Find More Posts by patmas
Old Oct 19, 2014, 01:28 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2012
1,003 Posts
Sounds like a faulty board? I had an old ff120 which flew great, it came with this board http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=347

Wont be much help but I noticed on HK there was a picture with a newer PCB, is this the one that came with your new ff120? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...X104544X52.pdf
limmacslim is online now Find More Posts by limmacslim
Old Oct 19, 2014, 05:34 PM
Joined Sep 2013
53 Posts
Any news about the multiwii port to q-bot? Or is there any new firmware for it? I tried one of a friend of mine and it's very dificult to fly :/ always need to input the sticks continuously and can't mantain a steady altitude...
Old Oct 19, 2014, 06:29 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2012
1,003 Posts
Think they gave up on the MW port ages ago, iirc some connections needed to be made directly to the tiny pins on the processor & it was too fiddly.
Hobbyking sells a dsm2 multiwii board with brushed esc's that might fit the frame. http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking...ntegrated.html
Old Oct 19, 2014, 11:37 PM
Used register
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined Mar 2008
232 Posts
I replaced the MIcro q-bot fc with the board mentioned by limmacslim. Works great. Not exactly plug n play, it ll need a bit of soldering the battery and motor plugs , but once it's done you have a full multiwii micro quad. The Micromwc board is pretty well documented in its thread.
argotera is offline Find More Posts by argotera
Old Oct 20, 2014, 06:00 AM
Joined Sep 2013
53 Posts
Ok thanks will check that board out
Old Today, 01:32 AM
Joined Sep 2013
53 Posts
Any alternative to micro mwc board? have a 9x with frsky module and don't want to use another module (dsm2)... there's some frsky micro receivers but the problem is to get one board with fets to control the motors...in HK I think it's the only one
Old Today, 04:43 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2012
1,003 Posts
mfc123, as far as I know there's not really many other options , maybe someone else will know better.
I also toyed with the idea of using a Frsky VD5M rx with Muliwii on an arduino pro mini, GY521 gyro board & homemade brushed ecs's but came to the conclusion it would turn out too heavy for a tiny quad like the q-bot. The setup is put to use much better with some brushless gear on a slightly bigger quad.

Just for reference, the Pro mini board & GY521 can be had for very cheap at banggood & makes a really nice lightweight (5g) Multiwii flight controller but you do need an external FTDI adapter & possibly a USBASP programmer. I cobbled together a cheap wooden frame quad that far exceeds what the q-bot can do using those bits, some H-King 10a esc's (with Blheli FW) & 1822 motors that were on sale.

Another option is, if you can get your hands on a cheap spektrum tx you can rip out the radio module & install it in a 9X (with upgraded firmware). I used one of these low power tx's & installed the guts inside a module but never really use it, nice to have around though.
Old Today, 05:56 AM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,423 Posts
The Alien FC
http://micro-motor-warehouse.com/col...ducts/alien-fc
Quite expensive. And needs DSM, too.
Afro mini
http://abusemark.com/store/index.php...products_id=45
Cheap, capable of driving brushed motors but you have to install the FETS yourself.
PPM connect only, so your FrSky RX choice is quite limited.

If you seriously want to hop into the brushed micro quad world there will be no excuse for a DSM module for your TX imho.

-mike-
mikefromgermany is offline Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member