SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:42 AM
Joined Jul 2011
151 Posts
OK so I have installed the 28-36 1800kv motor with 8x4 prop, I have an 50amp ESC. Just need to make sure that this combination is fine ? Also I have noticed that the motor wobbles inside the housing is there any way to reinforce it?
Euwan is online now Find More Posts by Euwan
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:51 AM
aka Nigel Uno
Italia, Lazio, Monterotondo
Joined Sep 2004
363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrouts View Post
Gtrick, thanks for the images.
I like how clean you kept everything.
I am almost convinced to change my servos with digital ones to support my Fy31Ap.
I agree that raptor, as any plane, are built to fly,
But I discovered the hard way that you must plan and implement any design having the crash on mind.
The above do not apply if you have trees that grow euros in your back yard!
; )

I really liked your setup. Keep us posted with the wii project.

Sakis

P.S after installing wheels on my raptor, I am now using metal wire skids on wings and fuse for take off. It was either that or a trolly. Hand launches belong to the past for me...
I've about a dozen of flights with the Raptor FPV and after some PID tuning sessions it flies very well (check the video here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1684727 or few posts ago in this same thread).

I've the video of the maiden flight (in FPV) of the raptor (with the PID not well tuned)

I'll post it later

Ciao

Luca
gtrick90 is offline Find More Posts by gtrick90
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:48 AM
FPV Pilot
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2007
2,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euwan View Post
OK so I have installed the 28-36 1800kv motor with 8x4 prop, I have an 50amp ESC. Just need to make sure that this combination is fine ? Also I have noticed that the motor wobbles inside the housing is there any way to reinforce it?
I have the same setup except im using a 60a esc. My motor does not wobble though. Did you tighten the screws in? Perhaps the prop is not balanced. Im using an apc 8x6 prop.
blueprint is online now Find More Posts by blueprint
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:52 AM
Joined Jul 2011
151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueprint View Post
I have the same setup except im using a 60a esc. My motor does not wobble though. Did you tighten the screws in? Perhaps the prop is not balanced. Im using an apc 8x6 prop.
So should I switch to to an 8x6 prop and 60a esc or is my current setup fine? If hold the white housing then put my finger on the motor I can see the motor moving side to side and up and down. It is like the motor mount is not firm enough
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:27 PM
Joined May 2012
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrick90 View Post
I've about a dozen of flights with the Raptor FPV and after some PID tuning sessions it flies very well (check the video here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1684727 or few posts ago in this same thread).

I've the video of the maiden flight (in FPV) of the raptor (with the PID not well tuned)

I'll post it later

Ciao

Luca
Lets be realistic here. All the FC's and stabilization systems in the world will not account for pilot error or a piece of equipment that will eventually fail. Be it a servo, ESC, motor, or a clevis. Sooner or later, the plane will crash. If you are hand launching this plane, you will have an unexpected encounter with the earth. It's only a matter of time. With this in mind, fly like you stole it and have fun.
Alpha1actual is offline Find More Posts by Alpha1actual
Last edited by Alpha1actual; Dec 10, 2012 at 12:40 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:51 PM
FPV Pilot
Joined Sep 2007
2,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euwan View Post
So should I switch to to an 8x6 prop and 60a esc or is my current setup fine? If hold the white housing then put my finger on the motor I can see the motor moving side to side and up and down. It is like the motor mount is not firm enough
How many screws are u using to secure the motor? I used 3 dubro screws to hold mine onto the mount. There is also a screw holding the mount onto the pod.

50a esc will be fine. Try the apc prop.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:54 PM
FPV Pilot
Joined Sep 2007
2,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1actual View Post
Lets be realistic here. All the FC's and stabilization systems in the world will not account for pilot error or a piece of equipment that will eventually fail. Be it a servo, ESC, motor, or a clevis. Sooner or later, the plane will crash. If you are hand launching this plane, you will have an unexpected encounter with the earth. It's only a matter of time. With this in mind, fly like you stole it and have fun.
Yup. I put a ton of up trim on mine before launching. I launch in stabilization mode and i launch it like im throwing a 50 yard bomb to an open receiver. Becareful with trajectory, i find a solid throw with a somewhat elevated trajectory works best.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:05 PM
Joined Jul 2011
151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueprint View Post
How many screws are u using to secure the motor? I used 3 dubro screws to hold mine onto the mount. There is also a screw holding the mount onto the pod.

50a esc will be fine. Try the apc prop.
I have connected the motor directly to the plastic mount with 4 screws I have not used the metal cross thing that came with the accessory pack. The single screw that holds the mount to the pod is also in
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:24 PM
aka Nigel Uno
Joined Sep 2004
363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1actual View Post
You're right, but when I'm assembling a plane (hey I'm not a plane guy, I'm an hely guy after all!!) I'll do everything with a single focus in mind: the plane must fly well and it does not disassemble and/or break in flight!

And, most important thing, I must have fun with it!!!!!

If (for accident,mistake or what) the plane crashes it's in count.

For sure I'll do my best to not crash the plane during the takeoff and/or landing

Just my 2 cents
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:37 PM
Turkey, Istanbul
Joined Dec 2010
413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
I got this glue for my Raptor http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7525 do ya all think this stuff works?
Yes it is great. Go head without hesitate.
Firatp is offline Find More Posts by Firatp
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:43 PM
aka Nigel Uno
Joined Sep 2004
363 Posts
Here another video
FPV Raptor w/mMWC - GoPro/TBS 69 PiP view (17 min 26 sec)

This is the maiden FPV flight of the Raptor with the live feed video in the upper right corner (800mW 1.2GHZ vtx, ez-OSD,TBS69 camera)

Check the hand launch (throttle a bit lower than half and just a hand throw, no run, and a bit of up elevator) at 0:30, the low speed passes starting from 14:00 and the landing approach at 17:00

Note that this flight is with the mMWC PIDs not tuned, is just a check flight for mMWC, video quality, UHF reception and so on

Ciao

Luca
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:31 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sire162 View Post
As we all probably know already, the instructions that came with the raptor are really really pretty bad. Being a newbie to building and flying planes, i've been chasing raptor build videos and info for days now. He&^, the instructions are just as good (the worse). Alishamau, who i always thought a great guy (funny too), he even disappointed me with his 7 minute video, leaving all the important stuff out, shame shame.Would it have taken to much of there time to say:

1. i'm gonna show you where the screws go.
2. this is how i installed my servo horns and replaced my servos
3. i placed my battery here, you might wanna do the same
4. you should replace your stock esc like this, with this
5. etc.
Where is the video showing items # 1-4?
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:15 PM
Joined Dec 2010
51 Posts
For fpv which model is best? 1, 6 m or 2 m?

Thanks
bigalbert is offline Find More Posts by bigalbert
Old Dec 10, 2012, 09:03 PM
Marshall Islands, Enewetak Atoll
Joined Sep 2011
1,048 Posts
Until I recover my original Twin Raptor (which might happen tomorrow!) I'm working another version of the Twin Raptor with some improvements. A friend has been flying this for almost a year and it's in pretty good shape, I bought the airframe this weekend and am in the process of converting it into a twin motor with some improvements from the original Twin Raptor:

Twin Raptor Serial #0002 (4 min 57 sec)
ecworks is online now Find More Posts by ecworks
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:32 AM
Marshall Islands, Enewetak Atoll
Joined Sep 2011
1,048 Posts
Introducing the world's first (I think) Tri-Motor FPV Raptor:
With this Quad ESC controller I think I will be able to select how many of the motors are running. Theoretically I can take-off with 3 motors and then after reaching cruising altitude I can turn off the two wing mounted motors and fly with just the single rear pusher motor/prop. 
Tri-Motor Raptor (0 min 49 sec)
ecworks is online now Find More Posts by ecworks
Last edited by ecworks; Dec 11, 2012 at 01:51 AM.