SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 03, 2014, 06:56 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
2,212 Posts
To you guys installing 8kg+ servos... Did you need a separate BEC too? If not, no brownouts so far? Maybe I'm overthinking it, but for instance a decent crawler servo always need a separate BEC
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2014, 07:38 PM
FPV Noob KD0VMK
United States, MO, Platte City
Joined Jun 2012
566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finguz View Post
To you guys installing 8kg+ servos... Did you need a separate BEC too? If not, no brownouts so far? Maybe I'm overthinking it, but for instance a decent crawler servo always need a separate BEC
I'm using this servo:
http://www.valuehobby.com/radio-syst...hd-1501mg.html

15.5kg cm torque, and i've never had an issue. I've run it with a hobbyking Xcar 45a esc, a speed passion stock club race, Hobbywing XErun 120a, and now a hobbyking 120a 1/8scale ESC...none have had any issues at all.

The trooper steering geometry seems to have a ton of leverage. If I were to do it again, I would get a faster servo with less torque. I don't think these monster torque servos are really necessary with a steering linkage as lazy as the troopers.
Chubbs is online now Find More Posts by Chubbs
Old Oct 03, 2014, 08:19 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbs View Post
I'm using this servo:
http://www.valuehobby.com/radio-syst...hd-1501mg.html

15.5kg cm torque, and i've never had an issue. I've run it with a hobbyking Xcar 45a esc, a speed passion stock club race, Hobbywing XErun 120a, and now a hobbyking 120a 1/8scale ESC...none have had any issues at all.

The trooper steering geometry seems to have a ton of leverage. If I were to do it again, I would get a faster servo with less torque. I don't think these monster torque servos are really necessary with a steering linkage as lazy as the troopers.
Yeah that's why I didn't go with that servo you suggested right away. But also I was worried that it being too strong it might need a separate BEC, it's good to know that it works out for you anyway without one. I probably won't need one either.

I usually put RC's on the backburner for too long, then I realize that I want to start using it again and then I have to wait for parts . I'll find something soon to try, I'll look to something faster like you suggested, thanks!
Old Oct 03, 2014, 10:50 PM
Germany, NRW, DU
Joined Jun 2014
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finguz View Post
A big capactor (4700uF) will do fine
markus1234 is offline Find More Posts by markus1234
Old Oct 04, 2014, 01:42 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus1234 View Post
A big capactor (4700uF) will do fine
Cool, I'll look into it. Also, it couldn't hurt anyway. Thanks.
Old Oct 04, 2014, 05:10 PM
Joined Jul 2014
44 Posts
I recently installed the aluminum servo saver and am having a problem with the adjustment nut backing off when the steering is turned back and fourth. It doesn't take long for the servo saver to do its job too well and not allow the wheels to turn at all. Any thoughts?

Oops wrong thread. This was supposed to go into the mini trooper thread. Sorry.
waitwhatsthat is offline Find More Posts by waitwhatsthat
Last edited by waitwhatsthat; Oct 04, 2014 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Mistake