HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2011, 12:20 PM
USA, CA, Westlake Village
Joined Sep 2004
1,824 Posts
Discussion
Why I LOVE Ultra Micros!

Took the dogs for a walk this morning and then flew off of my street with some ultra micros.

First off it was the Champ with my keychain cam... I flew it super high and got some cool video.

Then the trusty old UM T-28. That thing just flies so well with Hyperion 160s and a GWS 5043 prop. Touch and goes in the cul de sac is FUN!

Then the UMX Beast. With some Hyperion 240s and a GWS 5043, that thing zooms pretty good! Nothing like doing knife edges over your neighbor's house.

Often times I'll fly my Night Vapor at 11 or 12 at night just for some relaxing alone time. So mellow and relaxing...

Just bought a used BNF Vapor and a working brick for my old "non-night" Vapor because I missed the super light flying characteristics of that 'ol bird in the house.

Might dust off the MCX and MSR helis today too, just for fun. Gotta brush up on the skills in anticipation of a future Mcpx purchase!

Makes me wonder if I should sell my big nitro and 12s heli 'cause they're gathering dust! Might be able to buy a dozen or so of these ultra micros!

Gotta love these things!!!!!!!! Keep 'em coming Horizon Hobby!

Pete
lovespicyfood is offline Find More Posts by lovespicyfood
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2011, 03:35 PM
Wellington, Florida
Joined Jun 2004
215 Posts
Well said lovespicyfood, I'm right there with ya. My micro fleet is expanding while my big planes and choppers collect dust! It's just to easy to walk to the end of my driveway to fly. Tiny Brites on my Champ at dusk never fails to bring a smile to my face.
MarksRC is offline Find More Posts by MarksRC
Old Apr 03, 2011, 06:01 PM
Dallas Texas
Joined Dec 2010
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarksRC View Post
Well said lovespicyfood, I'm right there with ya. My micro fleet is expanding while my big planes and choppers collect dust! It's just to easy to walk to the end of my driveway to fly. Tiny Brites on my Champ at dusk never fails to bring a smile to my face.
I love the UM product line also..

IMHO the best RC planes are the ones that get used the most. Even in a windy city like Dallas, i still manage to log many hours on my UMs.

If you have been in this hobby for 15+ years you can really appreciate the Park niche and even more so the "UM"/indoor flyer niche.

If that wasn't enough its all easy maint electric motors

oh but wait there is more!... no more FM radios !!!

RC planes get my vote for most improved hobby of the decade

Thx to HH and other manufactures who spend R&D to give us such great products.
foxtrot70 is offline Find More Posts by foxtrot70
Old Apr 03, 2011, 08:00 PM
Joined Sep 2010
4,001 Posts
I'll cast my vote in favor of um's too. I flew control line stuff back in the 50's and 60's (telling my age) and have always loved planes. I have wanted to get into rc for years, but every time I considered it I backed out because of cost. I finally bit the bullet last fall starting with parkflyers but quickly picked up a um T28. I live out of town and have about 350' square area of wide open yard. Where I live it is rolling slightly hilly country and there is many times the opportunity to fly in the yard with the um's compared to going to the flying field with the park flyers. Weather this evening showed 23mph winds gusting to 38 and in my yard my wind speed gauge was hovering between 2 and 6 mph with a good hour + left to fly. I still think I want an even bigger plane than my big T28, but then think why? I can go out in the yard almost any evening and fly the um's. I couldn't even begin to guess how many hundreds of flights or hours my original um T28 has on it and the Wildcat and full size T28 I have might have a dozen or two in a longer time frame. And then there is durability. My original T28 still has everything original except for glue and tape, so to date it has cost maybe dollar or two an hour and shows no sign of quitting yet. It has been piled in hard enough that if it was my big T28 it would be carried home in a sack and most times I just picked it up and flew it again. The um's have finally made this hobby affordable for us poor folk for sure.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Apr 03, 2011, 08:22 PM
outstanding in the left field!
USA, IL, Marengo
Joined Feb 2007
736 Posts
Ums

+1 for the um t-28.

does handle turbulence well, better with the battery fwd. When its calm I shift the battery rearward for some sidewalk approaches and lanings. I do like the micro light set from tiny brite lights. Looks super cool, plugs into the reciver and switches on and off with the tx. Just finished some circuts of the front yard.

Blue skies and tailwinds,

Mike
pyrobus is offline Find More Posts by pyrobus
Old Apr 18, 2011, 03:08 PM
Joined Feb 2010
9 Posts
I am loving the UM's as well. New to the hobby and like the convenience. Living in a costal city, I have some amount of wind most of the time. My Parkzone UM Cub bounces around quite a bit. I am looking a my second Parkzone UM and I am currently searching for info on which of their UM's fair better in wind.

I like the challenge of flying in wind, but I would most likely buy the next plane based on wind tolerance. I am guessing that speed will help, so maybe a P51D??
james90755 is offline Find More Posts by james90755
Old Apr 18, 2011, 03:29 PM
Please excuse me..
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Feb 2011
801 Posts
T-28, Sukhoi, or Beast for wind
represent is online now Find More Posts by represent
Old Apr 18, 2011, 05:23 PM
USA, CA, Westlake Village
Joined Sep 2004
1,824 Posts
I second the Beast! With a 5x4.3 prop and Hyperion 240s, it's pretty good in the wind with power to fight it.

I'm looking forward to the new UMX Sbach.
lovespicyfood is offline Find More Posts by lovespicyfood