SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:01 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
Glad to hear that its not that abnormal. Thanks for the quick responses. I can't wait for some flyable weather. I love my 3DHS 48" Edge. I can't wait to see how the 57" Extra stacks up.

The pin is in the hole enough to almost come out the other side. The left wing is fully through the hole.
That sounds good enough, just like mine, 240+ flights on it.

48 Edge to 57 SC, Prepare for Major Performance Jump!
heritageflyer is offline Find More Posts by heritageflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 06:05 PM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,377 Posts
heritageflyer - Thanks for the tip. I used an old fiberglass wing tube holder out of an old crashed SHP I had sitting in the corner of my shop/basement for a couple years. It fit perfect over the reinforcement circles around the AR hole.

I agree that it don't take much for that area of the fuse to get damaged when the hucking over the tall grass. It brings the risk factors up. I don't plan on bringing this thing that close to the ground but I do love doing that kind of thing. A little bit of reinforcement won't hurt.
ducatirdr is offline Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Old Oct 04, 2012, 08:45 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,891 Posts
I don't actually put the tube over the pin holders, because I want to see the pins sticking in there, in case they come loose and push back into the wing. But if you check the pins from time to time to make sure the AR Pins are solid and sticking out of the wing the correct amount it should be good.

Using those old tubes, it supports it, but they will also collapse if the force gets too great in a crash. Acts kind of like a Crumple Zone in there. Support without being too rigid.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:53 AM
United States, MA, Sutton
Joined Aug 2006
1,377 Posts
Maiden

Was able to maiden my 57" 330 yesterday after work. A stunning warm windless evening in October in New England is rare but there was nothing rare about the maiden. It was just as easy and drama free as you would expect from this plane. Thanks for the reassurance that the AR peg was OK. Those tumbles yesterday showed that its perfectly fine.

With the Hacker A40-10S motor, Castle Ice 75Amp ESC, 15x7 APC prop, and 225MG's all around and a Nano 4 cell 4000mah had the plane fly light on this setup. As this was the first time I have flown a 3D plane over 48 inches I figured I would offer my observations.

Things appear much slower as the plane gets bigger. This translates to a relaxed feeling flying the bigger plane. I see the plane reacting sooner and don't feel like I'm mentally chasing behind the plane but instead I'm waiting for it. I really like how this plane performs a blender. The flat spin ending was amazingly tight. Hovering and HA flight was like I was on a simulator with the speed turned down. Even pattern stuff like simple 4 point rolls and KE flight was super simple. I've been looking at this plane for a few years and finally picked it up. Glad I did. I totally enjoy it.

With my observation that bigger is better, I now wonder about that 71" Slick electric. (It's a sickness) For now I will be enjoying the 57.
ducatirdr is offline Find More Posts by ducatirdr
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:11 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Was able to maiden my 57" 330 yesterday after work. A stunning warm windless evening in October in New England is rare but there was nothing rare about the maiden. It was just as easy and drama free as you would expect from this plane. Thanks for the reassurance that the AR peg was OK. Those tumbles yesterday showed that its perfectly fine.

With the Hacker A40-10S motor, Castle Ice 75Amp ESC, 15x7 APC prop, and 225MG's all around and a Nano 4 cell 4000mah had the plane fly light on this setup. As this was the first time I have flown a 3D plane over 48 inches I figured I would offer my observations.

Things appear much slower as the plane gets bigger. This translates to a relaxed feeling flying the bigger plane. I see the plane reacting sooner and don't feel like I'm mentally chasing behind the plane but instead I'm waiting for it. I really like how this plane performs a blender. The flat spin ending was amazingly tight. Hovering and HA flight was like I was on a simulator with the speed turned down. Even pattern stuff like simple 4 point rolls and KE flight was super simple. I've been looking at this plane for a few years and finally picked it up. Glad I did. I totally enjoy it.

With my observation that bigger is better, I now wonder about that 71" Slick electric. (It's a sickness) For now I will be enjoying the 57.
I agree with everything you said. Besides the 51" Slick the 57" Extra was my first plane bigger than 48" and it does feel like everything is in slow motion.

The 71" Slick will be my next plane I think.
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:57 AM
FLY ANGRY
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Jul 2008
5,003 Posts
Just wait, the 71 will be different still, and more fun yet in its own sort of way
FIXXIN2FLY is offline Find More Posts by FIXXIN2FLY
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:28 AM
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Sep 2008
793 Posts
Quote:

Thanks for the insight. I'm going from the 47" SHP V2 to this. The build is almost done. I'm running out of weather though I cannot wait to fly this size Extra

Mike
Brownie433 is online now Find More Posts by Brownie433
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:48 AM
Jim
Winchendon,MA
Joined Aug 2007
217 Posts
Quote:

Just what I was hoping to hear from a maiden report. I am currently flying a Sebart Angels S 30E and was looking at this one as a step up to a bigger plane. I love the precision of the Sebart but am looking for something a bit larger that I can start moving into 3D with. I think this will fit the bill. I started flying 3D this past season with a Twisted Hobbies Edge 540 that caused the 3D bug to bite. I saw your blog had a picture of the Auburn Sportsplex so we may have flown together there this past winter. I'll be down again this indoor season as well so I'll keep an eye out for you.

Jim
jmoore is offline Find More Posts by jmoore
Old Oct 06, 2012, 06:23 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,141 Posts
Took my 57" out today along with my 71" Slick, but by the time I got there, I wasn't felling very well for some reason, and it had gotten a bit windy....But, after driving the 18 miles to get to my field, no way was I going to not make at least one flight....which I did....but just wasn't "felling it", so didn't do much, but sure made a very pretty landing....it's about all I can say about the flight...

SteveT
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Oct 06, 2012, 06:29 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Took my 57" out today along with my 71" Slick, but by the time I got there, I wasn't felling very well for some reason, and it had gotten a bit windy....But, after driving the 18 miles to get to my field, no way was I going to not make at least one flight....which I did....but just wasn't "felling it", so didn't do much, but sure made a very pretty landing....it's about all I can say about the flight...

SteveT
It's kinda like golf... It only takes one feel good thing to make you come back!
turnerm is online now Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:00 PM
ride hard and fly low
Joined Aug 2011
585 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post

SteveT
It must be the CA fumes getting to you from all of that building.lol
H.D. is offline Find More Posts by H.D.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:01 PM
220lb of Canned Heat, baby
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
3,745 Posts
I put a new, more appropriate sized Eflite Power 52 motor in mine today. It flew ssoooo much better than it already did, even though I hadn't flown it for at least a month. I think flying the big Slick with the slower reaction to inputs had me out of sorts a little bit, along with the INSTANT throttle response. It was a lot easier to hover, that is until the "last pack of the day" demon caught me. I was getting nice and comfortable (perhaps a little too comfortable) down low, and was fixing to back a hover in close. I got to about 10' away from myself, and a little wind turned it and shot it toward me, I ducked out of the way, and splattered it on the ground. Good news is, a new motorbox and some landing gear rehab will have it in the air again.
Also good news, I got this crash on film.
quadracer is offline Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Oct 06, 2012, 08:48 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,891 Posts
Was all charged up for the 57 today, but spend most of the day winterizing the camper. Got a Freeze Watch out for tonight. Also the winds were way over forecast and from the wrong direction for where I have to fly. Plus it felt really COLD!!!

Forecast for Monday Holiday looks much better to fly everything in the fleet!
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:07 PM
FLY ANGRY
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Jul 2008
5,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heritageflyer View Post
Was all charged up for the 57 today, but spend most of the day winterizing the camper. Got a Freeze Watch out for tonight. Also the winds were way over forecast and from the wrong direction for where I have to fly. Plus it felt really COLD!!!

Forecast for Monday Holiday looks much better to fly everything in the fleet!
Monday is a holiday?
FIXXIN2FLY is offline Find More Posts by FIXXIN2FLY
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:22 PM
Time To Fly The Best!
Hills of Eastern Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
13,891 Posts
Official.