SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 10, 2009, 11:09 AM
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
796 Posts
Discussion
Happy 212th Anniversary

Treaty of Tripoli

"As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Musselmen; and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries."

The Senate approved the treaty on June 7, 1797, and officially ratified by the Senate with John Adams signature on 10 June, 1797.

Although the Treaty of Tripoli under agreement only lasted a few years and no longer has legal status, it clearly represented the feelings of our Founding Fathers at the beginning of the American government.

http://www.earlyamerica.com/review/s...7/secular.html

Jim
me11owman is offline Find More Posts by me11owman
Old Jun 10, 2009, 11:13 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
No one ever, ever, ever, said that America was "founded" upon any religion, Christian or otherwise.

In fact, it was founded upon Christian principles, not the religion itself, and it is those principles which shaped America.

Not a subtle difference.

Some more background:
http://faithfulrebel.blogspot.com/20...igion-and.html
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Last edited by Highflight; Jun 10, 2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 11:19 AM
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
796 Posts
"in any sense, "

Jim
Old Jun 10, 2009, 11:24 AM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,603 Posts
Just in case you didn't get it:

Quote:
As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion;
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Jun 10, 2009, 11:30 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz

Quote:
As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion;
Old Jun 10, 2009, 11:52 AM
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
796 Posts
He didn't get it Wiz.................
Probably never will but maybe some others will..................hope springs eternal

Jim
Old Jun 10, 2009, 12:58 PM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by me11owman
He didn't get it Wiz.................
Probably never will but maybe some others will..................hope springs eternal

Jim
No, you didn't get either. Not so much hope there...

Do you guys not know that America broke away from Britain in order to be free of religious domination?
So no, American was not founded upon any religion. No argument there.

But somehow, you can look at all the religious references in the founding documents (all of them) and not see that this country is most definitely founded upon general religious principles.

Nope, still not much hope there, when written words become totally invisible to some.
Last edited by Highflight; Jun 10, 2009 at 01:07 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 01:03 PM
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflight
No, you didn't get either. Not so much hope there...

because it isn't there..........
That whole thing is a construction of the movement of evangelicals from the 1930's.

jim
Old Jun 10, 2009, 01:39 PM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
The facts that America was founded upon a freedom of religion, but that it was founded upon religious principles are not antithetical.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 02:06 PM
Restful User
Backwoods Alabama
Joined May 2000
3,861 Posts
Quote:
Treaty of Tripoli

"As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Musselmen; and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries."

<snip>

Jim
Hmm, never knew that. Always thought that it was about invading-- or not-- some sovereign Muslin state.

Interesting website.
Jacques Flambeau is offline Find More Posts by Jacques Flambeau
Old Jun 10, 2009, 02:29 PM
I got too many hobbies!
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined May 2009
51 Posts
Quote:
Treaty of Tripoli

"As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; Jim

Try actually reading the Declaration of Independence, it may help.

When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

We are a secular government, but the country was definitely founded upon Christian beliefs.
BRETT65 is offline Find More Posts by BRETT65
Old Jun 10, 2009, 04:00 PM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,283 Posts
Quote:
because it isn't there..........
That whole thing is a construction of the movement of evangelicals from the 1930's.
Yeah, except for the letters from Hamilton, et al, that say different.
madsci_guy is online now Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old Jun 10, 2009, 04:55 PM
Restful User
Backwoods Alabama
Joined May 2000
3,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRETT65
Try actually reading the Declaration of Independence, it may help.
OK

Quote:
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
The highlighted keywords are clearly deist. Where are the "Christian beliefs" brought into this document?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRETT65
We are a secular government, but the country was definitely founded upon Christian beliefs.
Last edited by Jacques Flambeau; Jun 11, 2009 at 12:42 PM. Reason: speling errur
Old Jun 11, 2009, 12:28 PM
I got too many hobbies!
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined May 2009
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris
OK

The highlighted pkeywords are clearly deist. Where are the "Christian beliefs" brought into this document?

Creator comes from creation. Creation is a Christian belief, and the founders were Christians. Denyers only do so to help themselves sleep better at night.
BRETT65 is offline Find More Posts by BRETT65
Old Jun 11, 2009, 12:51 PM
Restful User
Backwoods Alabama
Joined May 2000
3,861 Posts
Wrong. All human societies have creation traditions (or myths, if you will).

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=f&oq=&aqi=g10

Unless your're talking about creationists, which is a whole 'nuther ballgame.

Nowhere does it say "christ" or "christian" in the Declaration...