Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:45 AM
United States, PA, Lansdale
Joined Feb 2012
175 Posts
New Product
Freewing Flight Design Trainer at Banana Hobby

Hi Guys,
Just ordered this new little trainer. It looks to be a scale model of a full sized plane. Has anybody already got and built and flown this plane? I like the price for the ARF and am looking forward to the build. I have the Freewing SBD-5 and the quality was good. They all seem to need twicks.
Frank Arbaugh
arbfrank is offline Find More Posts by arbfrank
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:21 AM
Joined Feb 2012
175 Posts
Hi Guys,
I knew Banana Hobby does not have a good reputation, but somebody has had to buy this plane. Mine is sceduled for delivery on the 14th, happy valentines day for me. Need more info from another persons point of view.
Frank Arbaugh
PS I am slowly seeing a change for the better at BH and I love Pete.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:06 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,791 Posts
The only thread I could find -

NEW NEW NEW Flight Design Freewing 1200mm Wing Span Trainer

As it doesn't appear to have any dihedral, I personally wouldn't class it as a first time fliers trainer, if learning totally on their own.

I also found the BH video -

Freewing Flight Design RC Flight Review in HD! (7 min 21 sec)
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:26 AM
Joined Feb 2012
175 Posts
Hi Eflighttray,
I guess I am the first to buy this. I am not a new pilot, I just like the looks and it lets me fly from a park closer than my club field. Probably will not get it airborn until April, since we have snow on the ground and I am going to Florida for a month. Will post my results then.
Frank Arbaugh
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:01 AM
New Zealand, Marlborough, Blenheim
Joined Jun 2012
430 Posts
Looking at buying this but undecided as I usually buy spare parts, prop, landing gear, which they just put in the box but to do this they want to charge an xtra $23. Seems over the top to me. Looks a great plane though and I will probably bite the bullet. Would be good if I could get it from Motionrc but they won't ship to New Zealand
otherhalf2 is offline Find More Posts by otherhalf2
Last edited by otherhalf2; Feb 13, 2013 at 02:54 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 03:11 PM
Joined Sep 2012
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by otherhalf2 View Post
Looking at buying this but undecided as I usually buy spare parts, prop, landing gear, which they just put in the box but to do this they want to charge an xtra $23. Seems over the top to me. Looks a great plane though and I will probably bite the bullet. Would be good if I could get it from Motionrc but they won't ship to New Zealand
You can order this plane from RC-Castle
MrMention is offline Find More Posts by MrMention
Old Feb 14, 2013, 04:45 PM
Joined Feb 2012
175 Posts
Hi guys,
Got my Flight Design from BH today. Eveything was in good shape except one of the pilot figures had come loose. I was able to carefully peal open the window on that pilot's side and re-glue. Waiting for the glue to set over night before I glue back the window. It will look as good as new when done. Quite a detailed cockpit and dashboard. Even dual controls (joysticks) and throttles. Will continue the build tomorrow.
Frank Arbaugh
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:17 PM
Low'n Slow is safest, right?
Norge, Østfold, Fredrikstad
Joined Jun 2011
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbfrank View Post
... It looks to be a scale model of a full sized plane.
It is a 1:7 (1:7.16 to be exact ) scale model of a Flight Design CTLS (Composite Technology Long Span), a two seat microlight/ultralight/light-sport built in Germany (or Ukraine...), www.flightdesign.com
KaiWE is offline Find More Posts by KaiWE
Old Feb 15, 2013, 02:51 PM
Joined Feb 2012
175 Posts
Continued the build today. It comes with the prop already installed. I want to check the mounts and balance so I uninstalled the prop and cowl. No surprises. The ESC is tucked tightly behind the firewall and the motor was mounted securely. Three very small screw hold the spinner on and its back plate (plastic) has a hex form that mates with the motor shaft. The cable to the battery has a deans plug and is rather short, but manageable. The horizontal stablizer just slides into a plastic joint and after a little filing snaps securely into place. the pushrod for the HS control horn is inside the tail until just before it mates with the horn. It has a normal clevis on the end of the rod, the adjust can be made at the servo with an easy connect. The nose gear has its own servo and is connected to the RX with a Y harness. There is no way to adjust the nose gear servo so all adjust must be figured off the angle of the nose gear, and adjust the rudder to match, with the servo adjustment. I re-inforced the nose gear mounting with CA in the holes I pre-drilled. I did not think the plastic plates that hold the main landing gear on were very secure. The screws that they give you to do that came right thru the holes. I had to substitute longer ones with bigger heads. I think I am also going to put some packing tape also over the landing gear wire. the radio I am using is the Flysky 9x, with a 6 chan RX. The is no ESC instructions and I had to reverse the throttle to get it to work. Also took the throttle trim down. The tail is already attached and control wired with clevis and horn. The servos are in a compartment back of the battery/radio bay, held in with a screw. The aileron servo wires are in a space over the cockpit and one of them had to be fished out. If those wires need to be service, the plane would have to be sliced up. All servo wires are clearly marked. Will put the wings on tomorrow. Hope this helps somebody else building ths plane since the instructions are very poor.
Frank Arbaugh
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:34 PM
dde
Fairfield, Iowa
Joined Jan 2001
135 Posts
Thanks for the info on the build - I have mine and am waiting on the FlySky TX and RX.
I bought both 1600 and 1800 mAh batteries (30C) - I will be curious as to what battery you use and also the CG location. I was thinking of taking out the 'pilots' just to save a little weight - also to make room for possibly a 808 camera.
dde is offline Find More Posts by dde
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:59 PM
Joined Feb 2012
175 Posts
Hi dde,
Just put the wings on today. I like the way they work. They gave me 4 extra screw that are used to attach the wings. The winglets on the end of the wings are made of plastic and should help with wing tip scrapes. My clubs field is good grass and I am not sure how well this plane will handle the grass. I have a local park with and infield that I am sure the gear can handle. I have two Art-TEch 11.1 1600mah batteries that I got with a F6F. They do not have a C rating on them, but this plane should not need a lot. I put the CG marking on at 55 to 65 MM from the leading edge, but have not balanced it yet. Balanced the prop and a spare. Got a spare spinner but it did not come with screws, need to protect the originals. Getting to the pilots is a little tedious but can be done carefully. The windows are flexible and put on with a rubbery cement. A knife blade can work them open. Have not set any D/R or Expos. Nor have I limited travel on any of the control surfaces. No help in the manual! Oveall I like the quality even tho it needs some tweaks. It should fly great once you work out the settings. Let me know if I can give you any help or you give me some. I am leaving for Florida on 3/1 and will be back 4/1. Will still be on-line, but no flying. By the way I love the FlySky 9X TX. I also have a Spektrum DX6i, that has the dual chanel capablility that the FlySky does not. For this plane I do not think it matters. The servos seem fine and the 6 channel Fly Sky RX I have used many time before with no problems. Can not speak for the ESC since it was where I could not read any writting on it when I took the cowl off.
Frank Arbaugh
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:06 PM
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
1,017 Posts
there is another thread on this plane.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1736942
Ginohio is offline Find More Posts by Ginohio
Last edited by Ginohio; Feb 16, 2013 at 06:07 PM. Reason: sorry thread already posted
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:43 PM
dde
Fairfield, Iowa
Joined Jan 2001
135 Posts
Thanks Frank for the info - I just received my FlySky 6ch TX and RX.

I am very impressed with the quality of the plane. There is a big wheel set coming out for the plane that goes in place of the ones shipped. No wheel pants, just bigger wheels and I think the servo for the front. This might help for grass. I have not flown RC for 40 years, so I am doing some SIM time with ClearView - I'll be interested in your flight experience if you get it up before your FL trip.
dde is offline Find More Posts by dde
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:19 AM
Joined Feb 2012
175 Posts
Hi dde,
Do not think I will maiden before our trip, weather & wind are bad, field soft and muddy. Finished build yesterday and here are a few last remarks. Since the nose gear and rudder are on a Y /one channel) getting them in perfect sync is tricky. The nose gear looks like it is one piece of wire with plastic outer shell. The two collars that you can see seem to be to hold the wire bend at the right height for the servo arm. I did not take the screws out of the lower part of the nose gear. Maybe it come apart and there is a way to adjust tracking theire. Using moving the servo arm a notch and sub trim in the TX, I finaly got the two aligned. I wanted the plane to roll straight with no stick input and still have full trim both ways for the rudder. I have seen video of this plane taking off from a grass field with fairly high grass, not using the big wheel kit. That kit will spoil the looks of this neat little plane.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:53 PM
New Zealand, Marlborough, Blenheim
Joined Jun 2012
430 Posts
Will be getting this plane and fly off grass strip so will put bigger wheels on. Can someone tell me the stock size wheels in particular the wheel (axle) width and diameter. The axle width always seems to be an issue when getting bigger wheels to fit. Do the wheel covers come off OK. Thanks
otherhalf2 is offline Find More Posts by otherhalf2
Last edited by otherhalf2; Feb 18, 2013 at 04:51 PM.