HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 21, 2012, 11:35 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,493 Posts
Strange then that both the people at my field with A9's have asked me as the local radio expert but with zero A9 experience to help them program their A9's.
After doing so I can say I don't like tthe A9's programing or the touch screen but then I have had limited time with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by udogigahertz View Post
This advice may be a good advice in the case of buying a Multiplex, Spektrum, Graupner, Sanwa/Airtronics, Futaba etc. Tx, but not for the HiTEc Aurora - the programming of an Aurora is self-explaining, you will never need the help of somebody else, nor you need to carry the manual with you at the field - after you have learned to programm your very first airplane.

Udo
Evan D is online now Find More Posts by Evan D
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 21, 2012, 12:32 PM
United States, MA, Bristol
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan D View Post
Strange then that both the people at my field with A9's have asked me as the local radio expert but with zero A9 experience to help them program their A9's.
After doing so I can say I don't like tthe A9's programing or the touch screen but then I have had limited time with it.
The touch screen and ease of programming are one of the biggest draws to the A9. It was for me.

Alot of people are hesitant with touch screens at first, but once they get used to them they never look back. Witness the dominant popularity of I-phone's, I-pads and I-touch's.
seefest is offline Find More Posts by seefest
Old Feb 21, 2012, 02:07 PM
United States, NC, Goldsboro
Joined Mar 2011
393 Posts
i-anything is a different beast altogether, and not worth further derailing the thread.

However, I would argue that there are a significant portion of the population who still prefer a tactile keypad over a touchscreen. The case I'd make for this is that high dollar button phones and hybrid slide-pad touch screen phones are still quite predominant among the i-competition. My guess would be that since the RC crowd is generally not technophobic; yet older and slightly resistant to change, that a large portion of RCers aren't ready for touchscreen on their TXs yet. Then again, it's just a guess and not based on any facts what-so-ever.
MyPonyRocks is offline Find More Posts by MyPonyRocks
Old Feb 21, 2012, 02:19 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2009
955 Posts
There is not yet ready and then there is obvious advantage.. The only obvious advantage I see from a touchscreen are the few times you need to enter a name and then a keyboard appears on the screen...
So, not really necessary especially after you use the roller wheel Spektrum/Jrs or the Futaba C series of radios..

The only real justifcation for a touchscreen on the Aurora 9 is this:

Anything to avoid that mess of buttons is a good thing.
pach is offline Find More Posts by pach
Old Feb 21, 2012, 02:58 PM
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPonyRocks View Post
i-anything is a different beast altogether, and not worth further derailing the thread.

However, I would argue that there are a significant portion of the population who still prefer a tactile keypad over a touchscreen. The case I'd make for this is that high dollar button phones and hybrid slide-pad touch screen phones are still quite predominant among the i-competition. My guess would be that since the RC crowd is generally not technophobic; yet older and slightly resistant to change, that a large portion of RCers aren't ready for touchscreen on their TXs yet. Then again, it's just a guess and not based on any facts what-so-ever.
Not derailing the thread at all. Just trying to make my point that touch screens rule. You can argue that there is a significant portion of the population that still prefer a keypad over a touch screen........but you'd be wrong. The excerpt below is from "wired" magazine. Both the Androids and I-Phone's are touchscreens. The new Blackberry's are touch screen or hybrid.

"Neilsen does monthly consumer surveys of US mobile phone users to gauge consumer reactions to these different Smartphones. They discovered that during the months of July – September, 2010, of the consumers who were getting a new Smartphone, 33% wanted an Apple iPhone, 26% wanted an Android phone and 13% wanted a Blackberry device. The same survey conducted between January and March 2011 revealed that 31% wanted an Android, 30% wanted an iPhone and 11% wanted a Blackberry. Android is slowly creeping up the consumer ‘cool index’, beyond the iPhone. It will do us well to take these statistics into account when building mobile apps (think cross-smartphone solutions). All three devices, especially Android and iPhone, continue to remain at the top of the Smartphone market and consumer interest levels."

I agree that the older RC'ers will be more reluctant to a touch screen.

Like I said, once you get used to the touch screen, you never look back.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 03:04 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,124 Posts
For some of us, touch does not work. I am trying to use an iphone here right now to do some work. I have to lick my fingers to get it to see me do anything. The screen is now gross, so I wipe it off, and then have to start over again. Give me a keyboard and trackball any day!

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 21, 2012, 03:26 PM
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
For some of us, touch does not work. I am trying to use an iphone here right now to do some work. I have to lick my fingers to get it to see me do anything. The screen is now gross, so I wipe it off, and then have to start over again. Give me a keyboard and trackball any day!

Andy
Wow,
Well there's always Crackberry's with keyboards, until they get rid of them altogether.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 03:55 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,124 Posts
Thanks, but my netbook works just fine at the field, and my old Nokia 1112 does phone and text. I'm set!

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 21, 2012, 03:57 PM
United States, NC, Goldsboro
Joined Mar 2011
393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seefest View Post
Not derailing the thread at all
Me pushing the issue would Just saying alot people want a product because other people want/have it even if they don't have a reason other than that.

So Andy, is the DX19S going to have a trackball then?

(now I've derailed it)
MyPonyRocks is offline Find More Posts by MyPonyRocks
Old Feb 21, 2012, 04:16 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2009
955 Posts
Touchscreen on phones has nothing to do with a touchscreen interface on a radio.

Its not like we are browsing the web or playing Angry birds with our transmitter...

Since we are still derailing this thread, a good Blackberry Bold keyboard still blows away an Iphone touchscreen for text input, try typing on both without autocorrect one and two handed and see for yourself..
pach is offline Find More Posts by pach
Old Feb 21, 2012, 04:52 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPonyRocks View Post
Me pushing the issue would Just saying alot people want a product because other people want/have it even if they don't have a reason other than that.

So Andy, is the DX19S going to have a trackball then?

(now I've derailed it)
No, thought input. (We have to one-up a certain somebody, you know )

You'll set the radio on the ground and think what you want it to do. It will come with a model of the Firefox fighter that first flew in 1982 with Clint Eastwood in the cockpit.

Best part will be that it will be FPV-integrated. You will really think you're flying in it because the thought interface will be bidirectional.

Just make sure you don't fly too low or BVR - you'll never be the same afterwards.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 21, 2012, 08:44 PM
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pach View Post
Touchscreen on phones has nothing to do with a touchscreen interface on a radio.

Its not like we are browsing the web or playing Angry birds with our transmitter...

Since we are still derailing this thread, a good Blackberry Bold keyboard still blows away an Iphone touchscreen for text input, try typing on both without autocorrect one and two handed and see for yourself..
I have a Bold, the one with touchscreen and keyboard and it sucks. My fat fingers work much better on the touch screen.

Have you ever used an A9? I have and my dads DX8. The A9 is waaaay more user freindly, intuitive, and quicker to program.

And just another feature in the A9's favor. It has an auto shutoff which can be configured. Not like the obnoxious vibe disco alarm on the DX8 which goes off in 5 minutes.(and can't be configured)
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:17 PM
United States, AZ, Cochise
Joined Sep 2011
112 Posts
"Have you ever used an A9? I have and my dads DX8. The A9 is waaaay more user freindly, intuitive, and quicker to program. "
My dad knew this one guy that had an A9 and he didnt like it.
mighty9 is offline Find More Posts by mighty9
Old Feb 22, 2012, 11:14 AM
Joined Jul 2010
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post

Andy
/offtopic
Your device is broken. I've not heard one story similar to yours since iPhones appeared.

/ontopic
And the A9 uses a different system than iPhones, obviously. so your anecdote is wasted.
EdmundGerber is offline Find More Posts by EdmundGerber
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:13 PM
Joined Sep 2009
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundGerber View Post
/offtopic
Your device is broken. I've not heard one story similar to yours since iPhones appeared.

/ontopic
And the A9 uses a different system than iPhones, obviously. so your anecdote is wasted.

Doesn't matter if Apple uses alien technology for their touch screen, my point was that touch screens are popular and easy to use(if they are designed right), and the A9's is.