HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:55 AM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
2,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_of_49 View Post
Saw them in my LHS today when I popped in on my way home from work. Had to resist the urge. After following the Carbon Cub and 130x since their release I want to see how this plays out first... hopefully less (or no) issues
Sure looks like a fun bird North, but it is so small I wouldn't be able to fly it much more than 20 feet away!
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:23 AM
n00b pilot
Brandenburg, KY, USA
Joined Dec 2005
447 Posts
Xtreme Productions - Great service!

I bought an Xtreme Productions metal head for my 120 off eBay because I was tired of the link retainers bending then breaking off. I also got one of their flybars cause I hate how easily the stock bar gets pushed out of shape. So I'm flying and happy and notice the little spinner has come off because I didn't put loctite on the screw. I emailed Xtreme Productions and they said they'd send out a replacement spinner and screw free of charge. NICE!

So the package arrives real airmail from HK. They didn't send a spinner and screw. They sent a whole head kit. They also sent a set of their 120 landing gear and a sticker sheet.

I like their stuff. It's inexpensive, does the job and the service is great.
MikeyToo is offline Find More Posts by MikeyToo
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:12 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyToo View Post
I bought an Xtreme Productions metal head for my 120 off eBay because I was tired of the link retainers bending then breaking off. I also got one of their flybars cause I hate how easily the stock bar gets pushed out of shape. So I'm flying and happy and notice the little spinner has come off because I didn't put loctite on the screw. I emailed Xtreme Productions and they said they'd send out a replacement spinner and screw free of charge. NICE!

So the package arrives real airmail from HK. They didn't send a spinner and screw. They sent a whole head kit. They also sent a set of their 120 landing gear and a sticker sheet.

Man, this is why I LOVE this hobby: you get treated with respect! That was just the opposite of what you normally hear of HK service, too, so I'm really glad to see this.
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:42 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleDude View Post
No Mike you silly bird, he glued the balls back on the swash plate!

SR120 Fan, don't pay any attention to these guys. I will slap them for you!

Kyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR120 fan View Post
Yes. That's what I did. Guilty as charged. I'm assuming by the replies that this achievement/blasphemy isn't committed too often or with preferential results?

Hahaha

Unfortunately. The balls in question were not reglued and Chap got his head around it successfully. I quite want to show you the pics now. When I get home from Uni I will use the wife's phone and upload you the glory that is my glueing.
Ehem,,,,....As you were saying Kyle
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:09 AM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
2,850 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Ehem,,,,....As you were saying Kyle
Well OK... but I just didn't think that... well... you know... um.
Kyle
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:13 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
8,803 Posts
Quote:

Savor this, because you are one lucky guy!!! I spent hundreds of dollars (literally) on Xtreme stuff every year for several years now and they dont even send me a 5% discount code on my next order for christmas

And as far as inexpensive ... this really lies in the eye of the beholder: for example, the frame for the mCPX is considerably cheaper than those from RKH or microheli. HOWEVER, if you want to have them all on a truly comparable level, you have to "upgrade" the XTREME upgrade frame significantly ... and in the end, it will have cost you substantially more than the microheli frame, which is the most expensive one of the 3 on the first look ...
And this is actually true for quite a few of their parts ... sooo - next time you buy something really inexpensive from XTREME (which I usually like, dont get me wrong) ... and you are NOT lucky enough to get another part for free with it ... add this up twice to see how really inexpensive it will be at the end of the day ...

just sayin" ...
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:15 AM
NotAnotherMomentLostToSei zures
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
10,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleDude View Post
Well OK... but I just didn't think that... well... you know... um.
Kyle
Stay nice and close to that warm wood stove Bro. Don't let that Wyoming cold air get to your brain

I joke. I joke

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:27 AM
n00b pilot
Brandenburg, KY, USA
Joined Dec 2005
447 Posts
I was not expecting the parts to be free in the first place. When I contacted them I explained the situation fully and offered to pay for a replacement. I would have been happy with paying for the parts and shipping.

IMHO, full-frame upgrades on birds this size are just adding weight with no gain. The two pieces I replaced (flybar and head) are weak points to me for the reasons given. The changes were made to address issues, not add bling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
Savor this, because you are one lucky guy!!! I spent hundreds of dollars (literally) on Xtreme stuff every year for several years now and they dont even send me a 5% discount code on my next order for christmas

And as far as inexpensive ... this really lies in the eye of the beholder: for example, the frame for the mCPX is considerably cheaper than those from RKH or microheli. HOWEVER, if you want to have them all on a truly comparable level, you have to "upgrade" the XTREME upgrade frame significantly ... and in the end, it will have cost you substantially more than the microheli frame, which is the most expensive one of the 3 on the first look ...
And this is actually true for quite a few of their parts ... sooo - next time you buy something really inexpensive from XTREME (which I usually like, dont get me wrong) ... and you are NOT lucky enough to get another part for free with it ... add this up twice to see how really inexpensive it will be at the end of the day ...

just sayin" ...
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:38 AM
Joined Mar 2009
8,803 Posts
Quote:
I was not expecting the parts to be free in the first place. When I contacted them I explained the situation fully and offered to pay for a replacement. I would have been happy with paying for the parts and shipping.

IMHO, full-frame upgrades on birds this size are just adding weight with no gain. The two pieces I replaced (flybar and head) are weak points to me for the reasons given. The changes were made to address issues, not add bling.
See, and this is the problem with sooo many people on here who still constantly keep on pushing this age old prejudice that adding aluminum parts is (in by far the most cases) only for show ... and if they would bother to do a little bit of "homework" (ie true, thorough research) it would become clear that by now there are a whole lot of items that they all generally talk down as "bling" which are actually lighter than the stock parts. Interesting, hmm??

And to get back to the example with the frame: once the RKH frame is all installed, it is about 0.05g more weight than with stock parts (check the pics on their website or ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blade-MCP-X-...item41626b9650) ... and btw, the SR120 aluminum grip they make is ALSO lighter than stock plastic ... but as opposed to the plastic canopy rods (of which I broke 4 by now on two different plastic frames) you get CF canopy rods they go all the way from one side of the frame to the other. Plus you can much easier change the boom from 2mm to 3mm than on a stock frame ...

But as we all know, all of this is only bling and adds weight

(well, as you dont seem to have an mCPX this example is not THAT incredibly relevant to you, but it hopefully shows that it pays to do a little more research on bling an NOT just go with the common prejudice ...)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:04 AM
n00b pilot
Brandenburg, KY, USA
Joined Dec 2005
447 Posts
My research shows me that I'm not having a problem with the frame. So exactly why should I spend a lot of money to replace it?

I did spend money to replace the parts I was having trouble with (the head) and now I'm happy, even though I'm 20g over stock weight.

If you think that the hop-up parts make you fly better then rock on and have fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
See, and this is the problem with sooo many people on here who still constantly keep on pushing this age old prejudice that adding aluminum parts is (in by far the most cases) only for show ... and if they would bother to do a little bit of "homework" (ie true, thorough research) it would become clear that by now there are a whole lot of items that they all generally talk down as "bling" which are actually lighter than the stock parts. Interesting, hmm??

And to get back to the example with the frame: once the RKH frame is all installed, it is about 0.05g more weight than with stock parts (check the pics on their website or ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blade-MCP-X-...item41626b9650) ... and btw, the SR120 aluminum grip they make is ALSO lighter than stock plastic ... but as opposed to the plastic canopy rods (of which I broke 4 by now on two different plastic frames) you get CF canopy rods they go all the way from one side of the frame to the other. Plus you can much easier change the boom from 2mm to 3mm than on a stock frame ...

But as we all know, all of this is only bling and adds weight

(well, as you dont seem to have an mCPX this example is not THAT incredibly relevant to you, but it hopefully shows that it pays to do a little more research on bling an NOT just go with the common prejudice ...)
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:27 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,792 Posts
It's funny but once you quit crashing, the OEM parts last longer. the hop ups can add some extra ability--like the swashplates--but most are just bling.
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:32 AM
n00b pilot
Brandenburg, KY, USA
Joined Dec 2005
447 Posts
I'm almost at that "quit crashing" point. Almost, but not quite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
It's funny but once you quit crashing, the OEM parts last longer. the hop ups can add some extra ability--like the swashplates--but most are just bling.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:47 AM
Joined Mar 2009
8,803 Posts
Quote:
My research shows me that I'm not having a problem with the frame. So exactly why should I spend a lot of money to replace it?

I did spend money to replace the parts I was having trouble with (the head) and now I'm happy, even though I'm 20g over stock weight.

If you think that the hop-up parts make you fly better then rock on and have fun.
I do NOT think they make me fly better, what I do think however (and what really annoys me at times) is that so many people keep on just generalizing (and repeating without putting stuff to the test themselves) that hopups are bling and only add weight.
(read through the pages here and everybody and their brother will say that. But fact is, that is is by far no longer THAT simple anymore. And once you break a couple of frames/canopy mounts (and again, this is a different heli, so it is not really that applicable to you personally, but it is sure applicable to demonstrate that generalizing about hop ups is suboptimal and inappropriate) then you will maybe also say in the long run this is not really spending money on something "worthless"
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:54 AM
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Sep 2012
395 Posts
Quote:
One can only dream
SR120 fan is offline Find More Posts by SR120 fan
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:57 AM
Joined Mar 2009
8,803 Posts
Quote:
So you almost stopped taking risks ...
(ok, I be quiet now ...)
RCG Plus Member