HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 06, 2006, 03:57 PM
Lifetime Member
Providence, RI, USA
Joined Dec 1996
2,607 Posts
Discussion
T-Rex tracking questions

I have been trying to document the correct procedure for adjusting the tracking based on the picture below from the manual. It states to adjust the linkage rods "A" and linkage rods "D". It does not however define which way to adjust them.
From my experience the following seems to be correct. I am hoping that someone can confirm this:

To adjust the HIGHER blade:
--For large variations, INCREASE the length of linkage rod "A"
--For slight variations, DECREASE the length of linkage rod "D"

To adjust the LOWER blade:
--For large variations, DECREASE the length of linkage rod "A"
--For slight variations, INCREASE the length of linkage rod "D"

More questions:
Is there any reason to adjust the lower blade versus the higher blade or vice versa?
Does adjusting the tracking change the original swashplate leveling settings and or the original zero pitch settings during initial setup?

John
JohnM is online now Find More Posts by JohnM
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2006, 04:42 PM
Mount Joy, PA
Joined Oct 2004
254 Posts
You have it correct.

I put a mark on the grip and on the blade so they stay matched up if I have to disassemble for any reason. I then just make the adjustment for tracking on the marked side of the head. If blades are out of track....I make a change to the marked side. Choose to increase or decrease pitch....just pick one....if tracking gets better keep adjusting in that direction. If it got worse. Go the other way.

Simple and works. As long as I have a good background to see. Normally takes a one to four changes to have 'razor' edged tracking. Your ears will also learn to hear when it is correct. (head speed increases a little and blade sound gets crisp....especially with carbons.)

Take the time to get them right. It makes a big difference in performace.

Jim
nregjeb is offline Find More Posts by nregjeb
Old Jun 06, 2006, 07:02 PM
Hotep
UK
Joined Dec 2005
2,395 Posts
Finless has a vid on blade tracking, check the sticky thread.
ShuNut is offline Find More Posts by ShuNut
Old Jun 06, 2006, 07:55 PM
Lifetime Member
Providence, RI, USA
Joined Dec 1996
2,607 Posts
Thanks for the tips nregjeb and I will download that video Shunut. It must be a new one.

John
JohnM is online now Find More Posts by JohnM
Old Jun 07, 2006, 04:35 AM
Sunday Flier
Sweden
Joined May 2005
1,488 Posts
I could never see those damned colored stickers, so I quit putting them on and marked one of the grips. Now I only ever adjust the marked side.

That said, as long as I set up the pitch to be the same during the initial setup, the blades pretty much always track right from the start.
Rickenbacker is offline Find More Posts by Rickenbacker
Old Jun 07, 2006, 10:22 PM
Kam
Yokine, Perth, Western Australia
Joined Feb 2006
146 Posts
Once ur pitch is setup, u need to mark one side, and adjust tracking on that side ONLY. If u start adjusting both sides, u will soon lose ur pitch setting. Instead of having +/-11 degrees, u'll find oneday that ur running, say +9, -13 or +12, -10 etc.
Kam is offline Find More Posts by Kam
Old Jun 08, 2006, 12:09 AM
Joined Nov 2005
2,918 Posts
I found that trying to adjust the tracking of the blades by "trial and error" usually takes more time than is worth it. I bust out my pitch gauge and adjust till both blades show 0 pitch at mid-stick in throttle hold (linear pitch curve). Then they're both perfect, and when I spin it up after replacing the blades TADAW! perfect tracking.

I love perfectly tracked blades.

Makes me feel confident.

Other than that, my little thing for adjusting the lengths is "L for lower, R for rise" as in left turn = lowers the pitch, right turn = raise the pitch. Of that one particular blade of course.
arclite5 is offline Find More Posts by arclite5