HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2014, 12:24 AM
Saudi Arabia, Makkah Province, Thuwal
Joined Aug 2012
254 Posts
Discussion
Clip from my first battery flying an R/C plane!

Hey guys!

Just wanted to thank everyone on the forums for all the advice you have given to us beginners! Although I have never posted in this area, I did do a lot of reading!

I would just like to share this small clip (taken at night) as a token of my appreciation to all of you! Your advice works! I have an RV Jet that is begging to be built... but first I will practice on this little guy!

Thanks community!

Short clip from my first RC plane experience! (0 min 47 sec)
Pass1 is offline Find More Posts by Pass1
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2014, 02:27 AM
Hot glue held together by foam
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Aug 2010
2,679 Posts
Excellent !
balsa or carbon is offline Find More Posts by balsa or carbon
Old Mar 02, 2014, 08:41 AM
United States, NC, Troy
Joined Dec 2008
216 Posts
I'm impressed! My first flight was in daylight and didn't go like that at all!
iwlf is offline Find More Posts by iwlf
Old Mar 02, 2014, 08:54 AM
Joined Aug 2012
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwlf View Post
I'm impressed! My first flight was in daylight and didn't go like that at all!
Thanks! Let's say this was still my first battery (not my absolute first flight)... I did do half of the battery in the morning but I had a slight problem with the thrust angle of the motor.. which when I gave it some power (lets say from 50% to 90%) made the nose dive so hard that the battery flew out... it autolanded itself upside down...but no damage!

After adjusting the throws, mixing the throttle with elevator and adding a bit more expo it has become much more flyable! This wing was a gift from a good friend who built it himself, so not many instructions on how to set everything up!

Ciao!
Old Mar 02, 2014, 09:01 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
4,024 Posts
That looks like a nice spot for night flying. I rather enjoy flying around the lights at night. Pretty decent control there, you are doing something right.

Old Tiger Moth picture added
Ron H is online now Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Mar 03, 2014, 04:41 AM
Sure, I can fly after sunset!?
United States, MI, Novi
Joined Jan 2011
540 Posts
WOW! You are an exceptional newbie.

"After adjusting the throws, mixing the throttle with elevator and adding a bit more expo"

You've obviously done some research! Way to go! Also, it sure helped that lady luck was on your side during that daytime flight.

Some day, you'll have to put several strings of LED lights on that thing!

Happy Flying!!!
mybad is online now Find More Posts by mybad
Old Mar 03, 2014, 04:47 AM
PowerTower
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2009
1,080 Posts
Nice flight Pass1
Nice to see a newb flying a wing for their first model, lot's of people say high-wing trainer is the starting point, you have proved what I maintain, these flying wings are great models for everybody including newbies
RWData is online now Find More Posts by RWData
Old Mar 03, 2014, 05:42 AM
Joined Aug 2012
254 Posts
Thank you all for the kind words! I am not sure how well I'm doing as I have no one here to compare with!

I do have a couple of questions though... maybe RWData can help as you seem to fly wings.

Is it normal that at 0 throttle, the plane seems to be two or three times as responsive?! When I throttle down to come to a landing, it seems that even small aileron input makes it roll really fast!

Also, how do you throw yours? I've noticed (in the video below from my second battery) that how I toss mine makes it come out at a slight angle. Not too much of a problem with this guy... but I was also thinking beyond the crooked angle, when I move up to a bigger wing I won't have enough room between me and the plane to throw it the same way (rv jet for example).

Any suggestions?!

Thanks!

Second battery of flying! (1 min 52 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron H View Post
That looks like a nice spot for night flying. I rather enjoy flying around the lights at night. Pretty decent control there, you are doing something right.

Old Tiger Moth picture added
The planes look REALLY nice against the pitch black sky! I just wish the field was a bit bigger... I seem to be constantly turning... the little wing is FAST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybad View Post
WOW! You are an exceptional newbie.

"After adjusting the throws, mixing the throttle with elevator and adding a bit more expo"

You've obviously done some research! Way to go! Also, it sure helped that lady luck was on your side during that daytime flight.

Some day, you'll have to put several strings of LED lights on that thing!

Happy Flying!!!
Indeed! I thought it was a wreck... but 0 damage!! LEDs sound like fun!!!
Old Mar 03, 2014, 07:41 AM
PowerTower
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2009
1,080 Posts
Pass1, it's the airspeed over the surface that has a lot to do with elevon effectiveness.
The greater airspeed = greater deflection. You will be (should be) landing into the prevailing wind, so if it's 10mph you have that plus your groundspeed acting on surfaces. If you have the option of dual rates and/or expo, I would look at the possibility of a 'take-off & landing' rate (say around 60%) so the model is perhaps easier to control on 'finals'.
Regards the launch method, I use RH side-arm launch, holding the RH wing and swing-throw across my left arm (with thumb on throttle), works well if your model is well trimmed. That's on my 24" w/s models, on the 48" model I can do the same, but it's much better to have a FB launch so I have both thumbs on sticks
You mention having a thrust angle issue that requires mixes (throttle/elevon). If you can adjust the thrust angle and get level flight without mix, this may help with overall control. Also, you could try differential (although I don't think it's much use on a wing), where you get more 'up' aileron than 'down' aileron, but not sure what that will do for you if anything !
My 24" w/s 'mini-wing' has a 3000kv B/W motor, takes a 1000mah 3s lipo up and is very small very quick when I point her skyward and open the taps . She will float about a while, but hey... 3000kv Say no more
RWData is online now Find More Posts by RWData
Old Mar 05, 2014, 09:04 PM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,888 Posts
Very nice flying!
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden
Old Mar 06, 2014, 12:14 AM
Joined Aug 2012
254 Posts
Thanks for the tips!

Today on my third battery things went much smoother. I was also in a slightly larger area, and I was able to fly for the full 8 minutes without major incidents! I wanted to practice landings (still not good at those but the wing is very forgiving) but the grass was just TOO wet.

I'm also learning pretty fast that if you enter a turn when the wing is not level (pitching up or down) it makes the turn sooo much harder and less majestic! Especially if it is pitching up!

Thanks again!